• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Cities/Towns/Villages with unfortunate nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Weston-super-Nightmare
The two towns on the East coast, south of the Humber estuary- which if Spoonerised become: Crimsby and Gleethorpes

C J Snarzell

Established Member
A lot of people in Manchester refer to Stalybridge as 'Staly-Vegas'. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it is a lively place in the dead of night.

CJ

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A lot of people in Manchester refer to Stalybridge as 'Staly-Vegas'. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it is a lively place in the dead of night.

CJ
There are similar West Yorkshire examples, all in the Wakefield Council area:
Pontefract - Ponte Carlo
Castleford - Cas-Vegas
Normanton - Normanhattan
Wakefield - Wacopulco

Presumably the residents of Knottingley and Featherstone feel a bit left out!

Galvanize

Margate. A SouthEastern Guard comically announced it as “Margate on Benefits” several years ago!

Chatham-Chavham, it’s where the phrase originated from!

AM9

Veteran Member
Borehamwood - Bore 'em stiff.
Luton, - the only ex-mill town in the south.
Basildon - Bazvegas
Southampton - Scummer (also a term for a Southampton FC supporter)

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Some people round here refer to people from Burnley as Dingles, after the rough family in Emmerdale I presume

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We actually had a similar thread a couple of years ago:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Scarborough = Scarbados.

No doubt because it's always sunny there! Isn't it? ;)

Galvanize

I've heard a few Irish people refer to Limerick as Stab City.
That rings a bell, I remember going on a Date with an Irish Lass, she said a similar thing about Limerick. Either that and/or it was the Drug Capital of The Republic of Ireland.

hst43102

There are similar West Yorkshire examples, all in the Wakefield Council area:
Pontefract - Ponte Carlo
Castleford - Cas-Vegas
Normanton - Normanhattan
Wakefield - Wacopulco

Presumably the residents of Knottingley and Featherstone feel a bit left out!
Ponte Carlo - I'm definitely going to be using that one from now on!

DunsBus

Established Member
Whitley Bay - Bitley Whay.

Folkingham - F**kingham. (This is how it's pronounced locally!)

Slightly off-topic, but I remember 20 or so years back when Scunthorpe became "S****horpe”, thanks to over-zealous swear-filters.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Whitley Bay - Bitley Whay.

Folkingham - F**kingham. (This is how it's pronounced locally!)

Slightly off-topic, but I remember 20 or so years back when Scunthorpe became "S****horpe”, thanks to over-zealous swear-filters.
On the London Bus Forum, the Met Police chief is Dame Cressida Richard. :) (true)

DunsBus

Established Member
On the London Bus Forum, the Met Police chief is Dame Cressida Richard. :) (true)
You'd have thought that the swear filter would have been set up to differentiate between the use of Dick as a name and as a word. :lol:

D6130

Established Member
There are at least two 'Monkeytowns' in the North of England. One is Hartlepool, where the inhabitants allegedly tried a pet monkey, which had escaped from a sinking French ship during the Napoleonic Wars, as a foreign spy....and on finding it guilty, subjected the poor animal to a public hanging. The second is Heywood in Greater Manchester (formerly Lancashire). The inhabitants of Bury and Rochdale - the towns on either side - obviously think that their Heywood cousins are intellectually and mentally inferior.

Returning to Co. Durham, the inhabitants of Ferryhill refer to the neighbouring village of West Cornforth as "Doggie"....apparently because of its inhabitants preferred method of lovemaking!

AM9

Veteran Member
One guy on the "Pointless" show referred to her as Caressa Dick!

A mate of mine always referred to St. Albans as stale buns.
Interesting in that St Albans claims to be the original source of hot cross buns, and a few years ago the Abbey persuaded one of the local bakeries to make some for easter. They sold well but I had a couple and they tasted, well... stale.
A much more common nickname is 'Snorbens' which the Royal Mail will acknowledge. It looks like a spelling of common mispronounciation of the city's name.

A mate of mine whose sense of humour is very dependent on word-play always refers to Milton Keynes - where he worked for a while - as "Built on Beans".
There are quite a few towns that have multiple roundabouts and have been called 'doughnut city', Basingstoke to name one, MK might also qualify.

Calthrop

Established Member
You'd have thought that the swear filter would have been set up to differentiate between the use of Dick as a name and as a word. :lol:
One guy on the "Pointless" show referred to her as Caressa Dick !

Drifting off-topic; but a forum (now defunct) on which I used to participate -- wide-ranging, but on the basic topic of good etiquette -- was based in the USA: prominently observable thereon, was the extreme puritanism -- indeed prissiness -- which is often to the fore in that country, particularly where anything sexual is concerned. The forum enforced the use of numerous -- sometimes absurd -- euphemisms for assorted words / expressions: "dick" (whether with a small "d", or as a proper name) was taboo: it had to be replaced with "wingadingdingy" (the actor thus appeared as "Wingadingdingy Van Dyke"). The board's "code" for any kind of sexual activity, was "playing Scrabble"; when the subject of the actual board game came up, things could get quite weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.