• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Cities/Towns/Villages with unfortunate nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
There is still Piddletrenthide and Piddle Hinton further up the valley.
Just nearby, there is the village of Sh**terton. And yes, the name derives from an odour it was reported to possess during medieval times.

Back to the unofficial names, there is a locale on Hayling Island, known as Sinah Warren. Due to the ageing population it goes by the name of Senile Warren.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just nearby, there is the village of Sh**terton. And yes, the name derives from an odour it was reported to possess during medieval times.

Back to the unofficial names, there is a locale on Hayling Island, known as Sinah Warren. Due to the ageing population it goes by the name of Senile Warren.
Between Huddersfield and Wakefield there's the parish of Sitlington (comprising the three villages of Overton, Middlestown and Netherton). Local folklore is that in medieval times the parish name had an 'h' as a second letter, though I'm not aware of any documentation confirming this.

Overton itself is sometimes called "Rovertone" by those of a certain age, after the graffiti that used to be on one of the "Welcome to..." signs in the 1990s.

D6968

I live not far from the village of Bell End.
Also an area of Blackheath known by that name, it’s not far from Rowley Regis railway station. Local residents tried (an unsuccessful) campaign to change its name a few years ago.

Neptune

Established Member
There are similar West Yorkshire examples, all in the Wakefield Council area:
Pontefract - Ponte Carlo
Castleford - Cas-Vegas
Normanton - Normanhattan
Wakefield - Wacopulco

Presumably the residents of Knottingley and Featherstone feel a bit left out!
Featherstone (Fev to the locals) also known as Feverley Hills.

Knottingley has a rather less favourable nickname amongst traincrew.

Doncaster - Doncatraz

nr758123

A lot of people in Manchester refer to Stalybridge as 'Staly-Vegas'. I suspect it has something to do with the fact it is a lively place in the dead of night.

CJ
In the 1990s, there used to a lot of bars in which it was too crowded to sit down and with lots of loud music. Occasionally we would have office outings there, to which I would make my apologies as early as I thought I could get away with, and catch the train home via a visit to the one civilised watering hole in the town.
Whitley Bay - Bitley Whay.

As it said in TV adverts for McEwan's best Scotch
"Florida's horrider than Whitley Bay"
thus succinctly damning both places.
There is a hill in the black mountains called Lord Hereford’s K**b
Immortalised in song by Half Man Half Biscuit

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Most locals refer to it in its Welsh name, the Twmpa. It’s a great climb too. You get an amazing view of the black mountains from the summit.
As Nigel Blackwell, the Bard of Birkenhead, put it:
"Twmpa, Twmpa, you're gonna need a Jumper.
It gets a bit chilly, on top of Lord Hereford's Knob"

Featherstone (Fev to the locals) also known as Feverley Hills.
Me and a mate were trying to think of ones for Featherstone and Knottingley, can't believe that didn't come up- it's obvious once it's been pointed out!

Status
Not open for further replies.