• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - closed stations very close to open ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Passing by Newhaven Marine (closed) with it's open station adjacent, made me wonder how many similar are in the UK? Mear me Mayfield is adjacent to Piccadilly and just about recognisable as a former station (where, say. the old Manchester Central near Deansgate arguably isn't) so have you any good examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Godley, on the Manchester - Glossop line, is quite close to its now-closed predecessor station, Godley (East). Hattersley is possibly even closer.

Journeyman

Established Member
The resited station at Crawley is a stone's throw from the remains of its predecessor.

Sprinter107

Smethwick Galton Bridge is just around the corner from the closed Smethwick West.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
More recently, of course, Angel Road is officially 10 chains from Meridian Water, though the South end of Angel Road's platforms to the North end of Meridian Water's is only around 80 metres.

Also in Edmonton, there's Lower Edmonton Low Level (closed in 1939, though reopened in 1959 due to electrification works) which was roughly where the roundabout is at the junction of Church Street, Fore Street/The Broadway and Hertford Road.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In the London area, would Primrose Hill count? Quite close to South Hampstead.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pollokshields West is just across the road from the now closed Strathbungo. Also Bridgeton is just across the road from the now closed Bridgeton Central.

daodao

Established Member
Cardiff:
Cefn Onn, replaced by Lisvane & Thornhill in 1986.
Cathays station is close to the site of the former (unidirectional) Woodville Road Halt.
Crockherbtown (Parade) station, passenger terminus of the former Rhymney Railway, was closed and trains diverted to the former Taff Vale Railway Queen Street station a few years after the GWR take-over of both companies with the railway regrouping in 1922/3.

Gwent:
Cwmbran station is sited about 300 yards to the south of the former Lower Pontnewydd railway station.

Stations on the reopened Ebbw Valley line are not all at the original locations, in particular:
Pye Corner station is sited just to the north-west of the former Bassaleg station.
Rogerstone station is sited about ½ mile north of the original station of the same name.
Risca & Pontymister station is located roughly ½ mile south of the original Risca railway station.

Greater M/c:
Royton Junction on the Oldham loop line was replaced by Derker (now on M/c Metrolink).

The South District line station of Withington and Albert Park was sited midway between the Metrolink halts at Burton Road and West Didsbury.
The South District line station of Didsbury was sited slightly nearer to M/c than the new Metrolink halt at Didsbury.
Both these 2 South District line stations were at one time served by some St Pancras expresses.

Historically, the MSJ&A had separate stations for Altrincham and Bowdon. They were replaced by a combined Altrincham & Bowdon station midway between the two in the late 19th century. From 1931 the former Bowdon station site became the repair shop and depot for the electric trains of the newly electrified MSJ&AR. This facility closed in 1971, and the site has now been redeveloped, with the new Altrincham Hospital (a polyclinic) occupying part of it.

Last edited:

ag51ruk

Eltham Park and Eltham- the platforms at Eltham Park were still visible last year and about 500 metres from the current station.

Eltham Well Hall was even closer, but nothing left of that that I could see.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Chapeltown nr. Sheffield moved south a few yards. Brightside, not far from Meadowhall.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Osterley is close to the original station bearing this name, the platforms are still extant with one of the street level buildings in use as a bookshop

birchesgreen

Established Member
Birmingham Curzon St and New St, though since they've started the HS2 work the outlines of the old platforms have been demolished so it looks less like a station at the moment.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It’s actually over a mile between those two. Primrose Hill is much closer to Camden Road (about 0.6 miles), and rather closer still to Chalk Farm tube (150 metres walk).

How about Wolverhampton Low Level / High Level? Next door!

steamybrian

Established Member
Coulsdon North (closed 1983) was adjacent to the present Coulsdon Town (formerly Smitham)
Nothing remains of the former Coulsdon North station as the A23 relief road has been built across the site.

The former Reading Southern station (closed in 1965) was adjacent to the present Reading station

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
A lot! I'll look at some maps and give some a visit post covid, thanks everyone!

Round my way it's a real shame that there is nothing whatsoever remaining of the old Moor Lane station almost adjacent to Trinity st Bolton.

Ianigsy

Nobody's mentioned Garston and Liverpool South Parkway yet.

I think I may also be right in saying that the reopened Brighouse station is at least partly the other side of the over bridge from its predecessor.

PeterC

Established Member
Even closer to Chalk Farm.

Several on the Underground including the resited Tower Hill.

Bishopsgate and Liverpool Street or Shoreditch High Street

Springs Branch

Established Member
  • Liverpool Exchange and Moorfields

• London Broad St and London Liverpool St (no sign of Broad St anymore, though)

• Pendleton Broad St and Salford Crescent
    (the new Salford Crescent took away most of Pendleton's business, but the two were open for a few years between 1987 & 1994)

<edit> checking an old edition of Quail Maps, Pendleton was 42ch (i.e. ½ mile) from Salford Crescent - further than I expected, and possibly outside the OP's criteria

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
No buildings, but remains of platforms were still there last time I went through there. Possibly even these have been "tidied up" in the past year or so, I'm not sure.
I'd like to have a look. I'm sure the Boton - Manchester service used to go through, I think there were two possibilities, to pass through or miss entirely. Need to see a pre-salford Crescent map.

EDIT Railmap online suggests that would be the case

Lloyds siding

Bootle Balliol Road and Bootle Oriel Road,
Bootle Village and Bootle Oriel Road,
Altcar Rifle Range and Hightown,
Southport Eastbank Street and Southport (Chapel Street),
Southport Central (Derby Road) and Southport (Chapel Street),
Morecambe Euston Road and Morecambe (Promenade)

Status
Not open for further replies.