• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - closed stations very close to open ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

A bit of Selsdon remains between Sanderstead and South Croydon.

Yes. And both South Croydon and Selsdon were open at the same time until the Oxted line platforms were closed (1959 I think). I was passing the other day and I saw some clearance work was happening on the trackbed and platforms of the former Woodside line platforms. I wonder what for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

Tinsley Green station - other side of the runway to Gatwick Airport.
Hurst Green Halt - other side of the road bridge to Hurst Green.
East Grinstead has had 3 different locations since the first station was built in 1855.

On the heritage network - Groombridge Spa Valley is the other side of the bridge & connected end-on the the original platform.

steamybrian

Established Member
Tinsley Green station - other side of the runway to Gatwick Airport.
Hurst Green Halt - other side of the road bridge to Hurst Green.
East Grinstead has had 3 different locations since the first station was built in 1855.

On the heritage network - Groombridge Spa Valley is the other side of the bridge & connected end-on the the original platform.

I listed Tinsley Green on the previous page as the first Gatwick Airport station. It is not "the other side of the runway" it is about half a mile directly south of the present Gatwick Airport station.
There are no remains of Hurst Green Halt (closed 1961) on the other side of the bridge from present Hurst Green station.
The present Groombridge station- I agree is connected end on to the original station - closed 1985
The site of High Rocks Halt (closed 1952) was just east of the present High Rocks station. Supports of one platform and for the staircase remain.
The present Tunbridge Wells West (heritage station opened 1996) is adjacent to and unconnected to the original station closed in 1985. The original station is now a Smith & Western restaurant.
Of the original East Grinstead stations only the building of the first station opened in 1855 still survives.
The first Tonbridge station was east of its present location (other side of the road overbridge). The roadway entrances still survive.

Last edited:

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Oxford Rewley Road (LNWR) was close by the GWR station and survived as a garage for decades, not sure what's left today (the canal swing bridge in the approach still exists I think).

The building survived in it’s original location until 1995-96 when it was removed to make way for Oxford University Press. I believe a lot of the building was rebuilt at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton Road.

vlad

I don't think anyone has mentioned Primrose Hill (fairly close to London Euston, as well as a couple of smaller stations that are even closer).

PaulJ

The new Thanet Parkway station will be built on the site of the old Ebbsfleet and Cliffsend Halt just outside Ramsgate.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In the London area, would Primrose Hill count? Quite close to South Hampstead.
It’s actually over a mile between those two. Primrose Hill is much closer to Camden Road (about 0.6 miles), and rather closer still to Chalk Farm tube (150 metres walk).
I don't think anyone has mentioned Primrose Hill (fairly close to London Euston, as well as a couple of smaller stations that are even closer).
Already mentioned! ;)

341o2

Established Member
Does anything survive of the former LNWR station at Sandy? Or has the ECML development of the site obliterated everything?

Or Plymouth Mutley which apparently was visible from the extant Plymouth station, formerly North Road

Last edited:

The building survived in it’s original location until 1995-96 when it was removed to make way for Oxford University Press. I believe a lot of the building was rebuilt at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton Road.
A little bit later, I think; Wikipedia says 1999, which agrees with my memory of it still being there in, and/or for a while after, 1997. It's the Said Business School that occupies the site.

Does anything remain of the various former stations at Blaenau Ffestiniog? They were presumably not that far from the present station.

steamybrian

Established Member
A little bit later, I think; Wikipedia says 1999, which agrees with my memory of it still being there in, and/or for a while after, 1997. It's the Said Business School that occupies the site.

Does anything remain of the various former stations at Blaenau Ffestiniog? They were presumably not that far from the present station.
I was at Blaenau about a year ago-
Blaenau Ffestiniog North station (closed in the 1980s) - platform was still in situ.
Duffws (Ffestiniog Railway) station is now a toilet..! (About 100 yards from present Blaenau station).
The present Blaenau station was of course built on the site of the former GWR station (closed around 1960)

Bevan Price

Established Member
Shotton Low Level. When closed in the 1960s, the only platforms were on the (long-removed) slow lines. When reopened, the new platforms were on what used to be the fast lines, but sections of the old (slow line) platforms were still present last time I passed through Shotton.

Deepgreen

Established Member
North Surrey has quite a lot of contenders, and the Coulsdons have been mentioned. Leatherhead had an LSWR station adjacent to the (current) LBSCR one and the retaining wall is still prominent by the main road. Epsom and Epsom Town (closed) were a few hundred yards apart and the latter has much of the station building still there (and in use for retail/commercial use). Epsom Downs had a large terminus which was closed when a housing estate was built and the station moved closer to London and reduced to a single platform. A few odd traces of the old station are still visible (or were a few years ago).

I remember going on a brake van special around Wigan in, I think, 1966, hauled by Stanier 2-6-0 42968. We visited Wigan Central, which although closed, still had tracks into the platforms so our train may have been the last to enter this station.We also visited the Horwich branch going via Adlington White Bear Station which was very close to Adlington station.

jumble

Passing by Newhaven Marine (closed) with it's open station adjacent, made me wonder how many similar are in the UK? Mear me Mayfield is adjacent to Piccadilly and just about recognisable as a former station (where, say. the old Manchester Central near Deansgate arguably isn't) so have you any good examples?

Does South Harrow on the Piccadilly count as both the Old and the New station buildings and platforms are still present with the former used for personal needs breaks?
Greenford may count as originally there were separate stations for the underground and the main line which closed in 1963

Taunton

Established Member
Speaking of the Piccadilly Line, there was a classic example of stations closed specifically because they were felt too near to adjacent open ones. In central London all of York Road, Down Street and Brompton Road were closed in the 1930s, it being justified that they were little used and the next stations each side were adequate. This notably applied where station entrances with lifts vertically down were replaced with new entrances a distance away with slanting escalators to the platforms - the new entrance could be a good proportion of the way towards the next station.

In passing the Piccadilly, a deep-level tube, was originally built with a lot of close-together stations; sometimes the next one is visible along the tunnel from the previous one's platforms. Always amuses me when nowadays there are arguments for years about station positioning on new lines and how each one may add hundreds of millions of pounds to the project cost, when the original Piccadilly investors seemed to quite happily dig down for one every half a mile, sometimes even less.

JohnElliott

Mill Hill (The Hale) -- adjacent to Mill Hill Broadway, though I believe there are only a few fragments of platform remaining.

AM9

Veteran Member
City Thameslink is directly below what was Holborn Viaduct. Although there has been much commercial development on the surface obliterating the the old station, the northern entrance to City Thameslink from Holborn Viaduct (the street) is in the same location and the route down to that end of City station uses some of the original Holdborn Viaduct and adjacent Snow Hill station infrastructure, - clad to meet modern expectations.

Taunton

Established Member
Snow Hill (London, not Birmingham) had been closed maybe in WW1 time, with Holborn Viaduct, terminating only, somewhat on top of it. There were obscure steps down from one to the other - John Betjeman wrote in the 1950s about having persuaded a porter, in the Holborn Viaduct midday quietness, to unlock the door and take him down the steps to the old echoing platforms which were still extant at the time, the line still in use but only for cross-London freight. I wonder if they are the same steps rejuvenated for City Thameslink.

steamybrian

Established Member
Ramsgate Town (closed 1926) was at the other end of Station Approach Road from the present Ramsgate station which replaced it. There is nothing left of the original Ramsgate Town station as the site and trackbed are now occupied by housing and the aforementioned road.

Margate Sands (also closed 1926) was also at the other end of the Station Approach Road to the present Margate station. No remains of the former.

Canterbury (North Lane) station was the original station on the Canterbury & Whitstable Railway and its site was about 100 yards from the present Canterbury West station. The site is now occupied by housing but the weighbridge and a crossing gate now mark the site of the original entrance.

Ashford (LCDR) station (closed 1899) was sited a few hundred yards west of the present Ashford International station and was accessible only from the Maidstone Line. Since closure for passengers it stood with station buildings, platforms and track as an engineers depot until closed and demolished in 1999 for construction of HS1 wiping all trace of it.

Rochester Common (SER) and Chatham Central (SER) were both closed in 1911 and were demolished many years ago. They were sited close to the present Rochester station. As mentioned previously Rochester was resited itself recently. In the same area Rochester Bridge station (closed 1917) was sited close to Strood and was demolished for road widening. The original Strood station stood to the east of the present station.

The first Whitstable station was closed in 1915 and was sited on High Street- a few hundred yards west of the present station. The booking office located in the arches under the track has been converted to shops.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Much of the viaduct leading to the old Island Gardens station (DLR), before the line was sent underground still exists, but then it has a much older history than the DLR! The station though doesn't exist

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Surely a closed station site, where all traces of same have been wiped, doesn't meet the OP's criterion of being recognizable as a former station? :rolleyes:

backontrack

Established Member
- Garston and Liverpool South Parkway
- Halkirk and Georgemas Junction
- Canterbury North Lane and Canterbury West

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Has Angel Road and Meridian Water been mentioned yet?

Angel Road is about 30 seconds from the end of Meridian Water station, must be one of the closest distances?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bolton Great Moor Street (now a Morrisons) is very close to Bolton (Trinity Street), being almost across the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.