• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - closed stations very close to open ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
I'm really after places where there is still evidence of an old station adjacent (ish) to a "new" one. Pushing it, if it's possible to see the old one from anywhere on the new one. Many of the examples don't do that, but that's fine, I can look them up on a map and see if they are worth a visit (eg Pendleton as alluded to).
In which case Swanley Junction appears from Googlemaps no longer to qualify, but Rochester certainly does!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

Wasn't Welshpool station rebuilt alongside the old station so they could build a road bypass alongside the old platform and station building?

topydre

Wasn't Welshpool station rebuilt alongside the old station so they could build a road bypass alongside the old platform and station building?
Oh no, I was a minute too late. Yes, the footbridge from the new island platform over the up track and the bypass comes down just by the old station building (now shops). The new station is a great example of how not to build a new station...

The Vale of Rheidol has had 4 Aberystwyth stations so far within a very short distance of each other. From the current one you can see the specially rebuilt platform at Aberystwyth mainline station (station number 3, taking the old platforms 1 and 2 at Aberystwyth station after the closure of the Carmarthen line), now with a shed where the track used to be.

delt1c

Established Member
I'm really after places where there is still evidence of an old station adjacent (ish) to a "new" one. Pushing it, if it's possible to see the old one from anywhere on the new one. Many of the examples don't do that, but that's fine, I can look them up on a map and see if they are worth a visit (eg Pendleton as alluded to).

Thinking - if I can see a disued one from a normal station, might be a video in it.

EDIT - since I posted there's amention of Guide Bridge. Interesting, that's worth a look!!
Then I believe Bathgate may qualify , been 8 years since i was there but the 1986 station was still visible ,. also a few remnants of the 2nd station visible.

341o2

Established Member
Ivybridge station was rebuilt at a new location, a mile from the original, the goods shed at the original station is extant
Between Exeter & Plymouth

py_megapixel

Established Member
There was a station where Tesco in Macclesfield currently is, in what was a goods yard on the Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway.

My understanding of the situation is that originally they were planning to terminate at what is now the current Macclesfield station, but that was an LNWR station, and an ongoing dispute between the MB&MR and the LNWR meant that the MB&MR had to terminate elsewhere. Once the extension to the LNWR station was finally negotiated, the MB&MR station was used for goods only for another 80 years or so before finally being closed.

the old Manchester Central near Deansgate arguably isn't
I would argue that, if you went inside Manchester Central (which you can, if you have a ticket to an event there, as it's now a conference centre), you would have no doubts whatsoever that it was once a station.

Rob F

Nottingham Midland and Nottingham London Road. London Road is still an impressive building and is in use as a gym.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would argue that, if you went inside Manchester Central (which you can, if you have a ticket to an event there, as it's now a conference centre), you would have no doubts whatsoever that it was once a station.
You wouldn't want admission to Manchester Central just now, it's temporarily been converted into a NHS "Nightingale" hospital in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

aliceh

The original Bournemouth East was the other side of the bridge to the current Bournemouth Station.

A little further up the coast, Southampton West End was just a little further along than the current Southampton Central.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Buxton used to be twin stations side by side, with the Midland half now closed and the LNWR half in use (or at least some of it).
Reading's main concourse (ticket office etc) is built on the site of Reading Southern, originally an SER station.
Oxford Rewley Road (LNWR) was close by the GWR station and survived as a garage for decades, not sure what's left today (the canal swing bridge in the approach still exists I think).
Banbury (LNWR) had Merton St adjacent to the GWR station but I think it's all gone now (track bed towards Buckingham still visible further out).
Leamington Spa Avenue (LNWR) was adjacent to the GWR station and had remains, bridge girders annd viaduct visible for years alongside the GW route.
Bristol Temple Meads was effectively two stations, with the original terminus repurposed by BR with all trains using the through platforms.
The original Bristol & Exeter terminus at right angles to the original GWR/Midland terminus also closed and was clearly visible for many years - don't know what's left today.

The Great Western station building at Salisbury is still there, next to the ex-LSWR station that all passenger trains have used for many decades.

(London)derry used to meet the OP's criteria, but the railway has now moved back to the old station, and according to Wikipedia the new one has been demolished.

Oxford Rewley Road (LNWR) was close by the GWR station and survived as a garage for decades, not sure what's left today (the canal swing bridge in the approach still exists I think).
There's nothing left of the station on site, although the building has been re-erected at Quainton Road. As you say, the bridge is still there.
Leamington Spa Avenue (LNWR) was adjacent to the GWR station and had remains, bridge girders annd viaduct visible for years alongside the GW route.
Parts of the viaduct are certainly still there -- not sure about remains of the station.
Bristol Temple Meads was effectively two stations, with the original terminus repurposed by BR with all trains using the through platforms.
The original Bristol & Exeter terminus at right angles to the original GWR/Midland terminus also closed and was clearly visible for many years - don't know what's left today.
The B&E building is indeed still there, although I think it was their headquarters building and separate from the actual station -- see here.

Howardh

Established Member
Been chatting to the landlord of the Sweet Green in Bolton who says it's a listed building, yet down the road about 200 yards where the old Moor Lane station was "magnificent building"my dad called it, never listed and nothing remains.

xotGD

Established Member
I don't think anyone has mentioned Bath yet. The old station still looks like a station.

On the Underground there are a number of stations where the surface part of the station moved and the former entrance still has traces of its former life.

CarltonA

Some that I don't think have been mentioned so far:

Evesham Midland - still standing near the in use former GWR station.
Haddenham (Bucks) - platform in evidence the other side of the bridge near Haddenham & Thame Parkway
Gatwick - platform to the north of Gatwick Airport which served the old horse racing venue.
Crawley - former station platforms easily in view of the newer station.

steamybrian

Established Member
Some that I don't think have been mentioned so far:

Evesham Midland - still standing near the in use former GWR station.
Haddenham (Bucks) - platform in evidence the other side of the bridge near Haddenham & Thame Parkway
Gatwick - platform to the north of Gatwick Airport which served the old horse racing venue.
Crawley - former station platforms easily in view of the newer station.

The present Gatwick Airport station was originally Gatwick Racecourse station. The first Gatwick Airport station (closed in 1958) was about half a mile south. Today only portions of the up slow platform remain.
The first station at Crawley has already been mentioned.

Some new ones.
Folkestone Racecourse station (closed in the 1980s) is adjacent (west of) to Westenhanger station. Platforms still in situ.
Plumpton Racecourse station (closed ?) is adjacent to (north of) to Plumpton station. Up platform still in situ.
Polegate (second station) (closed in 1980s) is just east of the present station. Remnants of the platforms survive.
Bishopstone (original station) (closed 1940) is a short distance west of the present Bishopstone station. Both platforms still in situ.

Tomos y Tanc

The current Aberdare station is adjacent to the old Aberdare High Level station on the Vale of Neath Line and opposite the site of the Old Aberdare Low Level station on the Taff Vale line. The HL station building remains but there's no trace of the LL buildings although some of the newer bus station buildings on the site have been built in a vaguely railway station style.

Rail Ranger

There was a station where Tesco in Macclesfield currently is, in what was a goods yard on the Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway.

My understanding of the situation is that originally they were planning to terminate at what is now the current Macclesfield station, but that was an LNWR station, and an ongoing dispute between the MB&MR and the LNWR meant that the MB&MR had to terminate elsewhere. Once the extension to the LNWR station was finally negotiated, the MB&MR station was used for goods only for another 80 years or so before finally being closed.
There was an LNW station in Macclesfield north of the present station and this was called Macclesfield Hibel Road. The MB&M used the present Macclesfield station which was called Macclesfield Central. BR closed Hibel Road and concentrated all traffic at Macclesfield Central, which was rebuilt with electrification.

Guide Bridge was reduced to 2 platforms from 4 in the 80s, then, after a fire I think, the whole station was moved to the 2 formerly disused platforms. That must be a record in terms of short distance!
Guide Bridge was reduced from 4 platforms to 2 in 1984. Basically the two previously disused platforms were brought back into use. The much more recent fire in the booking office and footbridge did not affect the platform arrangements.

py_megapixel

Established Member
There was an LNW station in Macclesfield north of the present station and this was called Macclesfield Hibel Road. The MB&M used the present Macclesfield station which was called Macclesfield Central. BR closed Hibel Road and concentrated all traffic at Macclesfield Central, which was rebuilt with electrification.
I thought the LNWR used Macc Central as well as Hibel Road? Possibly this is incorrect.

At Elgin it appears that you can stand just across the road from the former GNoSR station, and see the current (ex-Highland) station in the middle distance.

Banavie Pier (view from the other side here) is within a few hundred yards of the surviving station at Banavie, although I don't think you can see one from the other. (There might be somewhere on the canal bank from where you can see the old station and the signalling centre at the current one, but I'm speculating there).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Berry Brow original station was around 50 yards nearer to Huddersfield than the current one. Very little trace of the original remains though, so not quite what the OP was after.

Pit_buzzer

The old Carcroft and Adwick station is still visible just a few yards north of the present day Adwick on the Doncaster to Leeds line

gg1

Established Member
Ivybridge station was rebuilt at a new location, a mile from the original

One of (at least) 2 such examples in Devon, Tiverton Parkway is a similar distance from the site of Tiverton Junction.

SWTCommuter

I'm not sure if this is close enough to count but the original Mottisfont station (on the old Redbridge to Andover line) is just over three quarters of a mile, as the crow flies, from the current Mottisfont and Dunbridge station. The station building still exists as a private dwelling. OS grid reference SU3322626472.
www.flickr.com/photos/grusit/6330191806

steamybrian

Established Member
At Dover there are three closed stations within a mile of the present Dover Priory-

Dover Harbour (closed 1927) is the south end of Dover Tunnel from the Priory Station. The station buildings are in use as offices with replica "totem" signs fixed to the front of the building.
A few hundred yards south is Dover Western Docks (closed 1994) now perfectly preserved with overall roof, all station buildings and platforms in filled as a car park for the ocean terminal.
Dover Town is adjacent ( closed 1914) of which there a few remains of the platforms now in a car park.

Attachments

• Dover Hbr 170317-1.JPG
    Dover Hbr 170317-1.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.