• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Contrasting Stations Served by the Same Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Harwich International and Brampton, or Dullingham.

Norwich and good old favourites Berney Arms and Shippea Hill before anyone else mentions them, or Norwich and Lakenheath or Buckenham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There were indeed three trains from Reading via Coventry and York on Sunday afternoons, one to Glasgow Central, one to Edinburgh and one to Newcastle. Some similar services ran the other way.

alangla

In terms of a single journey, how about Helensburgh to Edinburgh? Small traditional terminus, then a run along the riverbank, stopping here & there, into denser populated areas (though not stopping) after Dalmuir, then the high viaducts over the modern architecture around the SECC/Pacific Quay, then the city centre tunnels, then a limited stop run to suburbia & out into open country beyond Airdrie, back to a few stops in busy West Lothian towns then the charge east from Uphall, finishing with the tunnels after Haymarket & finally Edinburgh Castle looking over the arrival at Waverley.

In terms of purely the stations, you’ve got the grandeur of Waverley, the 2000s functionality of West Lothian & A2B, the 1960s BR boxes of the North Clyde line west of Airdrie, the desolate basicness of places like Bellgrove & the faded Victorian glories of Dumbarton Central, Helensburgh etc

Peter C

Established Member
Combe and Oxford? The former, a single-platform station in the middle of nowhere (pretty much), and the latter a four-platform junction between GWR, Cross Country, and Chiltern Railways services.

-Peter

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Combe and Oxford? The former, a single-platform station in the middle of nowhere (pretty much), and the latter a four-platform junction between GWR, Cross Country, and Chiltern Railways services.

Or indeed, Shipton and London Paddington.

SWTurbo

Salisbury and tisbury! One a big (in the grand scheme of things) interchange + junction, the other a single platform station!

vlad

Are there any direct trains between Coventry and York?
There were a few a week before The Event. As travelling by rail is currently frowned upon I haven't really been keeping up with timetable changes! ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Some years back you could reach Paddington direct from Combe, which is an even bigger contrast. Back then they used 180s and, for a brief period, 800s before it went to the service starting from Oxford operated by Turbos.
Ah really? Never knew that. Thanks - I also seem to remember there was a Cotswold Line all stops service which ran all the way to Didcot a while ago, but I'm not sure?

-Peter

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Newcastle and Manors. Very similar locations (indeed you can walk between them in just a few minutes), very different stations!

On the Metro network, the contrast between grand old Tynemouth and the modern South Shields interchange just over the river is pretty stark.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
0813 from Combe (Mon-Fri) currently calls at Hanborough, Oxford, Radley and then terminates at Didcot Parkway.

As has already been said, there are going to be many of these!

Crewe and Peartree.

Coventry and York.

Porthmadog Harbour and Dduallt.
Porthmadog Harbour and Campbell's Platform?

Even Dduallt and Campbell's Platform, for that matter....

Campbell%27s-platform.jpg

Mikey C

Established Member
Picking consecutive stations on the edge of London, there's a big contrast between busy 4 platform Sutton - 6.5m passengers - and the single platform of Belmont - 180k passengers!

bussikuski179

Ah really? Never knew that. Thanks - I also seem to remember there was a Cotswold Line all stops service which ran all the way to Didcot a while ago, but I'm not sure?

-Peter
Actually I’m not sure if the eastbound did go to Paddington, but the westbound absolutely did, starting from Paddington 16:22 and going to Worcester I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.