• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Crossing county lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I wonder what the longest run of stations is where each station is in a different county to the next? I’m saying consecutive stations rather than services which skip stations. I’ll allow stations in a row where no trains are currently timetabled to serve. Any definition of a county is fine but current boundaries trump historical ones.

With that in mind I can offer 5:

Haddenham & Thame Parkway (Buckinghamshire)
Bicester North (Oxfordshire)
Kings Sutton (Northamptonshire)
Banbury (Oxfordshire)
Leamington Spa (Warwickshire)

before the NUCKLE upgrades saw Kenilworth open in 2018 that could have been extended to 7 with Coventry (West Midlands) and Bedworth (Warwickshire).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Right Away

Courtesy of an administrative boundary change, another run of 5 that I can think of is Tisbury (Wiltshire), Gillingham (Dorset), Templecombe (Somerset), Sherborne (Dorset), Yeovil Junction (Somerset).

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Huntingdon (historical Huntingdonshire), Peterborough (Camridgeshire or Northants depending on era), Stamford (Lincs), Oakham (Rutland).Melton Mowbray (Leics)

Or Huntingdon, Peterborough, Grantham (Lincs), Bottesford (Leics), Elton & Orston (Notts)

mcmad

Another 5.

Alloa (Clacks)
Stirling (Stirling)
Larbert (Falkirk)
Croy (North Lanark)
Lenzie (Glasgow)

adc82140

Established Member
Sandhurst (Berks)
Blackwater (Surrey)
Farnborough North (Hampshire)
North Camp (Surrey)

Stephen1001

Sandhurst (Berks)
Blackwater (Surrey)
Farnborough North (Hampshire)
North Camp (Surrey)
I was looking for something in this vein too, but Blackwater station is (just) in Hampshire.

Huntingdon (historical Huntingdonshire), Peterborough (Camridgeshire or Northants depending on era), Stamford (Lincs), Oakham (Rutland).Melton Mowbray (Leics)

Or Huntingdon, Peterborough, Grantham (Lincs), Bottesford (Leics), Elton & Orston (Notts)
Do you want to start the campaign to reopen Essendine (Rutland) so we can get the second of these to 6 or shall I? :D

adc82140

Established Member
Ash Vale (Surrey)
Aldershot (Hants)
Farnham (Surrey)
Bentley (Hants)

MadMac

Another 5.

Alloa (Clacks)
Stirling (Stirling)
Larbert (Falkirk)
Croy (North Lanark)
Lenzie (Glasgow)
Lenzie (and indeed, Bishopbriggs) are actually East Dunbartonshire, so an Alloa-Glasgow service will pass through/stop in six council areas/counties. On a semi-related note, wasn't there a line that crossed and recrossed the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic numerous times?

Gloster

Established Member
On a semi-related note, wasn't there a line that crossed and recrossed the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic numerous times?
The Clones-Cavan line crossed the border six times between Clones and the adjoining station of Redhills. The Bundoran Junction-Bundoran branch crossed the border three times: either side of Pettigo and just west of Belleek. (Source: Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer.)

mcmad

Another 5.

Alloa (Clacks)
Stirling (Stirling)
Larbert (Falkirk)
Croy (North Lanark)
Lenzie (East Dumbarton)
Taking advantage of the 'no current service', The station before Alloa is (currently) Dunfermline Town in Fife so technically 6 in a row.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Peterborough (Cambs)
Stamford (Lincs)
Oakham (Rutland)
Melton Mowbray (Leics).

Status
Not open for further replies.