• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Doors Opening At Same Side At All Stations (For Each TOC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What is the longest service (defined by distance and/or time) where the doors will open on the same side of the train at every single station that it serves? One per TOC.

As long as you can find an example on Real Time Trains over the past week, I’ll accept it as a valid answer.

A number of services at a station like New Street *could* use any one of a variety of platforms (so the doors may open on either side depending on the allocated platform) –as long as you can give an example that shows *one* service that only used/uses platforms on *one* side of the train then I’ll accept it – it doesn’t have to be *every* journey on a route.

I’d guess that the overall winner will be something very limited stop (e.g. Flying Scotsman?) but I’ll take examples from any TOC (inc Open Access, London Underground and Light Rail).

As a local example, the only valid daytime services on Sheffield Supertram will be the Cathedral to Parkgate TramTrain (in that direction only) and the “Purple” service from Cathedral to Herdings Park (again, in that direction only), as everything else will either serve the island platform at Netherthorpe Road or switch at Cathedral. I’d need to check re early morning services from the depot to Halfway though(?).

(to avoid argument, “station” is defined as any platform where the train is scheduled to open its doors to permit passengers to board and/or alight – I’m not worrying about places where crew may get on/off or platforms passed at speed or even platforms where the train may end up waiting at a signal without the doors opening – I’m happy to see whether a service that omits “request” stops can qualify though?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you depart from an even-numbered platform at Euston on a LNR service via Northampton, the opened doors are on the left (facing forwards) all the way to Coventry, I think. The other way round both MKC and Tring would be on the "wrong" side.

If you require it to be the entirety of an advertised service rather than part of one, you'd have to find a peak time Euston to Northampton slow line short working - the 1805 maybe? Edit: damn, that departed platform 11 at Euston...must have gone from 8 or 10 at some point! :D

Grecian 1998

The following weekday services are possibilities on the Weymouth/Poole-London Waterloo route depending on what platform they use at Weymouth and Waterloo. 112 or 142 miles, all between 2-3 hours:

0542 Poole-Waterloo
0608 Poole-Waterloo
0550 Weymouth-Waterloo
1705, 1735, 1805 and 1835 Waterloo-Weymouth

Up trains may use either platform 2 or 3 at Weymouth, but will then use the left-hand doors in all normal circumstances at all stations to Waterloo, as they invariably use platform 1 at Southampton Central. Every other station those trains stop at only have 2 through lines IIRC. Those services don't stop at Brockenhurst, Basingstoke or Woking, where the doors are fairly likely to open on the right. The only question therefore is which platforms they use at Weymouth and Waterloo.

Down trains would be similar in reverse (platform 4 at Southampton Central), save that some use platform 1 at Dorchester South which would open on the right. Trains terminating at Poole use platform 1 where the doors would open on the right, but none of the services I named terminate there, although the rear portion which detaches at Southampton Central does.

Established Member
EMR Regional Crewe to Derby is all on the left hand side for direction of travel which is 11 stops and a full service. (If the train uses p3 at Crewe and Derby.)

Grecian 1998

A follow up to my earlier post: according to RTT, today's 1705 Waterloo - Weymouth departed Waterloo platform 10 on the left and arrived at Weymouth at platform 2 on the left, having stopped at 14 other stations en route, all with the doors opening on the left, and was booked to take 165 minutes for the 142 mile journey.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Lowestoft to Norwich if you depart from platform 3 at Lowestoft and arrive into an even numbered platform at Norwich then the doors are on the left, similarly if you depart an odd platform at Norwich and arrive into 2 or 4 at Lowestoft the doors are on the right. If you depart P3 at Lowestfot and arrive P2 at Ipswich then it's all on the left provided you use P2 at Beccles...

Barnsley

Anything from Nottingham to Skegness as long as it does not stop at Netherfield, avoids Grantham and arrives in P2 or 4 at Skegness (most arrive P4)

A Challenge

Established Member
All the stops are still on the left on arrival, although 'left' changes. I'd like to nominate for the LU Victoria Line the 00:18, 00:35, 00:53 M-ThO Walthamstow Central P2 to Seven Sisters.

TrainBoy98

I'd like to put forward the southern Brighton-Ore service, suggesting doors always open on the left side of the train - in the direction of travel. As it reverses at Eastbourne, it's not technically the same "side" of the train itself, but is the same side in the direction of travel...

Failing that, the Brighton-Southampton Central, but only as far as Fareham.

PeterC

Established Member
Didn't the Mumbles Railway have cars with doors on one side only?

Llama

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly - Stoke. All LHS platforms.

Most during the day are booked from platform 5 at Piccadilly and 2 at Stockport.

A Challenge

Established Member
For the Piccadilly the longest journey possible appears to the Mondays to Thursdays 06:31 Hammersmith P2 to Uxbridge P4, with all platforms on the left, including use the Piccadilly line platforms at Turnham Green.

For the District line I think its going to be trains entering service in the morning through the west end of Acton depot, which enter service at Ealing Common, with all platforms again on the left, but only they run to P8 at Ealing Broadway, though that is very short!

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
For Southeastern, the longest run appears to be, again on the left, Hayes P2 to London Charing Cross P5 or P3, which are booked to use P8 at London Bridge for at least some of the day, and some return workings are booked from P2, P4 or P6 at CHX, through P6 at LBG and into P1 at HYS, for the same effect.

London Trains

For Southern:

Epsom to London Bridge (London-Bound), platform always on the left, providing the platform is on the left at London Bridge (usually is platform 15 so is fine)

Horsham to Victoria (London-Bound), platform always on the left, providing the platform is on the left at Victoria, and it departs from Platform 4 at Horsham (its regular, normal platform).

Neither of these work Southbound due to the arrangement of platforms at Epsom.

Man of Kent

For Southeastern, the longest run appears to be, again on the left, Hayes P2 to London Charing Cross P5 or P3, which are booked to use P8 at London Bridge for at least some of the day, and some return workings are booked from P2, P4 or P6 at CHX, through P6 at LBG and into P1 at HYS, for the same effect.
CHX-Tunbridge Wells, off peak mostly depart from pfm 6 at CHX, use pfm 7 at London Bridge and also use left hand platforms at Orpington, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and TBW.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Other than the example listed above, I’m really struggling to think of SWR services that fit the criteria, as Woking, Basingstoke, Micheldever, Eastleigh, Fareham, Portsmouth & Southsea and Haslemere all ruin it for mainline services.

to slightly correct the point above about Brockenhurst, platforms 1 and 4 are loop platforms, with all through services booked to open doors on the left hand side of the train in the direction of travel, I can’t think of any services booked to use 4 in the down direction and 1 in the up direction, also, most 2Bxx Poole services terminate in platform 2 and cross over, there’s only a few which terminate in platform 1 of Poole.

D7666

Suggest a more interesting question might be what is the service with the highest numbers of station stops where they are all same side.

The longest in terms of time or distance could fit a limited stop express that calls at few points - as stated by OP - but thereby bypasses the very point at issue - platform stops.

Whereas a train with numerous stops is addressing this point.

London Trains

Suggest a more interesting question might be what is the service with the highest numbers of station stops where they are all same side.

The longest in terms of time or distance could fit a limited stop express that calls at few points - as stated by OP - but thereby bypasses the very point at issue - platform stops.

Whereas a train with numerous stops is addressing this point.

With my earlier example of Horsham to Victoria (via Sutton), 3 trains in the morning peak additionally call at Carshalton, Hackbridge, Mitcham Junction and Mitcham Eastfields.

That makes 18 stations - Horsham, Warnham, Ockley, Holmwood, Dorking, Boxhill and Westhumble, Leatherhead, Ashtead, Epsom, Ewell East, Cheam, Sutton, Carshalton, Hackbridge, Mitcham Junction, Mitcham Eastfields, Clapham Junction, Victoria.

A Challenge

Established Member
For the Central line I think it is going to the 06:33 White City P1 to Ealing Broadway P6, which is the only train to enter service in the morning at White City westbound and run to P6. In the evening, the sole short working from P5 doesn't go to P4 White City, only one from P6.

I think I've got a better one for Southeastern, 07:26 Hastings to London Cannon Street, all on the left.

For London Overground, it is every train from Barking to Gospel Oak, as that is further than Dalston Junction to New Cross and there are central platforms at Willesden Junction on both levels and Queens Road Peckham.

A Challenge

Established Member
For the Northern line, I think it is going to be the 06:14 East Finchley (must be P2 as it comes from Highgate Sidings) to High Barnet P1, all on the left, which is longer than the all on right from Golders Green to Edgware.

Status
Not open for further replies.