• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Earliest Train Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

meepmeep

Not sure if this one has already been done, but I wondered what members' first recollection of railways and trains is?

My earliest memory is meeting my father off the train at Berkhamsted when I was a child. Watching the 310s stop and being exited at the "fast" trains hurtling through. Driving the poor railwayman on the platform mad with all my questions, like how do the signals work and do they generate their own power. Seem to recall I could hear the electrical hum from the OLE too.

My first journey memory is on a 310 into Euston. Listening to the clickety-click of the jointed track and wondering, on the way back, how the train could go as fast "in reverse" as it did forwards. How can a train do that when dads car can't!

I now feel very old!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I've often tried to think about what my earliest train-related memory is, but to no avail as I can't remember specifics. I'd say it's probably got to be walking around the sheds at Toddington on the GWSR several years ago; I seem to remember there was a large crane in there at one point? I was rather disappointed to learn when I went there a few years ago that you can no longer go in the sheds like you used to be able to.

I also remember just going up and down the GWSR an awful lot: it was always great fun (and still is!). "Day Out With Thomas" events were good fun as well, but if you want nightmares, look up photos of the face they used on their railcar as the "Daisy" character (the old face, not the fairly new one). :) I'm sure the volunteers meant well!

-Peter

EDIT: I'm currently on a phone so quoting the photo is proving difficult but this is an image showing the "Daisy" face the GWSR used: https://twitter.com/GWSR/status/742597433172099072?s=19

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On the bus into Manchester and passing by Manchester Central station which was still operational at the time but starting to look rather run down.

Veteran Member
The most recent was this one:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/what-is-your-earliest-memory-of-travelling-on-a-train.202604/

To make you feel young again: I am standing on the bench at our temporary church by Shortlands station (the Luftwaffe had caused the odd problem in the area, I later learnt), looking through the window at an up Boat Train (false memory - the Golden Arrow - but I'd have been in bed by then!).
The temporary church reverted to being a church hall in November 1955, but my memory might well be from summer 1954 when my sister was baptised.

PS there is a photo of me aged 1 at Hythe RHDR, but I don't remember it!

Gloster

Established Member
Leaning over the wall at the end of the garden - I must have been standing on something - and watching steam locos dragging their wagons up the bank from Saltburn West Junction to Brotton. No idea whether they were ex-NER Q6 or WDs as they were just a shape in a dirty brown cloud. I was told that the crews used to give me a wave or a toot on the whistle, but that I don’t remember.

My earliest memory was aged about 5, 1963, watching industrial steam locos on trains of presflo cement wagons at Tunnel Cement, West Thurrock, Essex. They trundled over a main road on an open crossing, protected by a man with a red flag. I remember some of the loco names, and discovered many years later they were Peckett saddle tanks, mostly 0-4-0T’s with at least one larger 0-6-0T. I was fascinated by the sounds and smells, the clanking of the wagons. One of the drivers said he’d give me a cab ride when I was older, but sadly steam was replaced by diesels within a few years.

xotGD

Established Member
DMU from Newcastle to Whitley Bay for a day at the seaside.

Logan Carroll

Coming out of the old exit of Glasgow Queen (The one next to Buchanan Street Subway) in my pram in the pouring rain with the translucent rain cover over the pram.

SteveM70

Established Member
Going on holiday to north Devon by train. I don’t remember all the journey, but I vividly remember my dad splashing out for us to go and eat in the restaurant car. We sat at the first table from the end, and it was gammon with pineapple on it. I ate a bit of the pineapple and was immediately sick, and have never eaten it since. I’d have been 6.

On the same holiday I remember the floors of the holiday cottage in Appledore were polished wood, something I’d never seen before. And we went on a boat trip in Clovelly and it was a bit rough. Everyone hated it apart from my sister, who cackled with joy.

My earliest memory of a specific train is of waiting on a busy platform 3 at Coventry to go to Birmingham with my mum, and the train must’ve been off the Leamington line because it was hauled by a gleaming, presumably freshly named, 47555. I assume that was 1979 or 1980

Ostrich

I have a memory of being taken to see a steam engine at Harborne, Birmingham (the Chad Valley branch) sometime in the 1950's. Wiki says the line closed to freight in 1963.

Another early memory from the late 50's is of the anticipation and pandemonium on Snow Hill Station on a Summer Saturday, waiting for our particular "relief" train to arrive to whisk us off for the family holiday in North Wales. And my father pointing out to me that our train was being hauled by "that special engine with the bell on the front" ......

6000 "King George V" for those rail fans not of a certain age ......

Established Member
I'd say my earliest train memories are:

1) Travelling on the "toothpaste" livery Class 321s to/from Northampton.
2) Travelling on the InterCity loco-hauled between Rugby and Liverpool.
3) Travelling on Merseyrail when it was operated by MTL.

meepmeep

I remember them. I was doing Berkhamsted to Euston when we got the DBs. Started commuting as the 310s were being phased out. I think we had 317s for a while before the 321s

dgl

Established Member
Travelling on what would have been a 159 from Crewkerne to Honiton with my Grandma (would have been 5/6 at the time) and the guard asking if I wanted to go into the cab, you wouldn't think of allowing that now. I also got to toot the horn!

meepmeep

Travelling on what would have been a 159 from Crewkerne to Honiton with my Grandma (would have been 5/6 at the time) and the guard asking if I wanted to go into the cab, you wouldn't think of allowing that now. I also got to toot the horn!

I am so jealous!!

I recall the 310s had a window in the door from the passenger accommodation into the cab, so you could see through. You are right though - not a chance now I wouldn't have thought

peteb

Getting off a train at Desborough having travelled from Birmingham New St, (but whether via Rugby/Market Harborough or Leicester I am uncertain). It was dark and foggy, just before Christmas so probably Dec 1966, as my father bought a car in 1967 when my brother was born. Desborough closed 1st January 1968. I recall being sat on the saddle of my Grandad's bike and pushed along the road to his house.

delt1c

Established Member
I remember taking a 126 from St Enochs to visit my Aunt in Stevenston , remember my mother telling me the station was closing the next week. Also remember seeing an engineers train at Stevenston which was steam hauled, Memory now says to me it was an 8F but i could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.