• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Interesting and unusual buildings used as vaccination hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Many, if not most, vaccination hubs are in places such as community centres, leisure centres, indoor sporting and entertainment venues and the like (and of course hospitals and medical centres). Does anyone know of any examples of more unusual or interesting buildings that are being used (or have been used) as vaccination hubs?

I believe that in Swindon they used the STEAM railway museum, in Bedford they used a Sikh gurdwara, and a few cathedrals such as Blackburn and Lichfield have been used, for example.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Onion

The recently closed John Lewis in Aberdeen has been converted into one. I believe it’s just the ground floor that’s in use, though not sure if it’s operational yet.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I had both of my doses in the Centre for Life, a large museum in the centre of Newcastle. And just up the road, in Hexham I believe they used Hexham Mart - which is a livestock auction house.

AY1975

Established Member
I had both my doses in Glasgow Central Mosque.
I presume you had to take your shoes off and leave them in one of the shoe racks where Muslim worshippers leave their shoes when attending the Mosque.

DelayRepay

Established Member
There is a vaccination centre in the Science Museum (or at least there was, not sure if it's still operating). Which seems quite fitting, given the say Science has come to the rescue.

kristiang85

Established Member
There is a vaccination centre in the Science Museum (or at least there was, not sure if it's still operating). Which seems quite fitting, given the say Science has come to the rescue.

A friend had his there.

I had mine in the Basingstoke Fire Station.

Jimini

Established Member
Not a building -- more of a marquee / tent of course -- but you could get jabbed in the fields off Richfield Avenue in Reading this weekend during the festival!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I presume you had to take your shoes off and leave them in one of the shoe racks where Muslim worshippers leave their shoes when attending the Mosque.
No, no one did.

But then it wasn't in the main - what is the term(?) - hall of worship? (for wajt of a better phrase), which I have been inside on a visit.

The actual vaccinations took place in a separate hall.

I imagine the comparison with a Christian Church would be using the church hall rather than the actual church with altar/pews/organ etc, but still part of the same building if that makes sense?

SeanG

I had mine in Northumbria Water's offices. It looked as though they had literally just moved the desks out as the usual office posters were still on the wall.

Between my first and second jabs they had obviously worked out how to take the window restrictors off for extra ventilation.

big_rig

I had one there, it was a lovely venue for it - a bit more iconic than the local pharmacy! Was almost tempted by Westminster Cathedral where all the celebrities had them but the timings weren’t great and just wanted to get it done so didn’t look too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.