• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: lines that are never used by electric traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
One that comes to mind is platform 8 in York Railway Station. The line is electrified but I've never seen an electric loco using it since about 1996 when I first remember coming there. Only the Harrogate line trains. The platform probably could not fit a 225 from York to Edinburgh on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Do you mean just locos, or units as well?

It is hard to give a pedantic answer as many of the facetious answers I can come up with e.g. the St Albans Abbey branch have been covered by test trains/RHTT. Actually, that might count as they might not have been electric locos :lol:

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
Do you mean just locos, or units as well?

It is hard to give a pedantic answer as many of the facetious answers I can come up with e.g. the St Albans Abbey branch have been covered by test trains/RHTT. Actually, that might count as they might not have been electric locos :lol:

Any type of electric train or loco.

yrreb

The Hadfield line in Greater Manchester and Derbyshire doesn't often see locomotives of any kind...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
AC locos are prohibited north of Cambridge North (Milton Fen neutral section) and also between Hitchin East Jn and Shepreth Branch Jn.

James H

Thameslink? See diesel locos from time to time but don't remember seeing an electric one.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Thameslink? See diesel locos from time to time but don't remember seeing an electric one.

Add the whole MML to Bedford too (though they were used for WCML diversions many, many years ago)

Add the NLL to Acton Central, and the West Anglia Main Line too.

route101

Established Member
Few of branches of the Glasgow network . Neilston , Cathcart Circle (Maxwell Park side ) , Glasgow Queen St low level /Central Low level , though was there a railtour to Dumbarton? Milngavie, Maybe line through to Bathgate . Gourock , Weymss Bay , ardrossan , largs .

vinnym70

I'd say there's quite a few branches off the GEML that could count. Southend. Southminster. Romford. Braintree. Clacton/Frinton (assuming locos not units)

Peter C

Established Member
Few of branches of the Glasgow network . Neilston , Cathcart Circle (Maxwell Park side ) , Glasgow Queen St low level /Central Low level , though was there a railtour to Dumbarton? Milngavie, Maybe line through to Bathgate . Gourock , Weymss Bay , ardrossan , largs .
I saw a small part of a driver's eye view of the Edinburgh - Glasgow lines from Video125 and apparently they are all electrified - if so, has an electric loco ever run down them? I assume that may have happened, but probably in the days of BR?....

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Is the Brighton-Hastings a contender here? 3rd rail electrification, and I don't think anything like a 73 has gone down there?....

-Peter

Bovverboy

Established Member
The OP's original title was unfortunate, since in post #3 he has specified no electric traction whatsoever on the lines in question.

I was going to suggest the loop at Eccles, but I'm pretty sure TPE 350s have used it to reverse, en route from Ardwick to Victoria (or vice versa) - before the Ordsall chord was available, of course.

route101

Established Member
I saw a small part of a driver's eye view of the Edinburgh - Glasgow lines from Video125 and apparently they are all electrified - if so, has an electric loco ever run down them? I assume that may have happened, but probably in the days of BR?....

-Peter

They weren't electrified apart from the route via Carstairs . The route via Falkirk high saw the sleeper use it and Shotts had class 86s testing .

Peter C

Established Member
They weren't electrified apart from the route via Carstairs . The route via Falkirk high saw the sleeper use it and Shotts had class 86s testing .
Oh OK - me probably mishearing the video! :)
Thanks.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
The OP's original title was unfortunate, since in post #3 he has specified no electric traction whatsoever on the lines in question.
Oh OK - so we're are looking for an electrified line which has never seen an electric locomotive or an electric multiple unit?

-Peter

alangla

Does the “Burma Road” in Glasgow ever get used for EMU moves since it was electrified?
Coatbridge Central to Gartcosh doesn’t have any scheduled electric traffic IIRC

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Until recently I would have said Carnforth station but now 88s sometimes work the flasks from Sellafield I’m unsure where they switch over to electric. 331 test runs supposedly run to Carnforth but I don’t know whether any run as far as the station. They mostly seem to terminate in the D&UGL to the south. There definitely was a 331 at Carnforth this week but it was being hauled by a 37 en-route to Skipton.

Platforms 3c and 4c at Preston used to see a lot of electric loco’s when there were loco hauled services that required a loco change. Since they finished they do see the very occasional EMU but I don’t think any EMU passenger service has been booked to depart from them for decades.

route101

Established Member
Does the “Burma Road” in Glasgow ever get used for EMU moves since it was electrified?
Coatbridge Central to Gartcosh doesn’t have any scheduled electric traffic IIRC

Whats the Burma Road ?

Does anything use that chord at Gartcosh?

Peter C

Established Member
Im taking it as a electric loco on electric lines.
I'm not quite sure what the OP means. The title says "Electrified Lines That Never Run Any Electric Locos" and then in post three they go on to add units into that list.

So we are looking for lines which have been electrified but have not seen any form of electric traction, whether that be a locomotive or a multiple unit, run along them?

-Peter

EDIT: I notice the thread title has been edited. :)

Last edited:

alangla

Whats the Burma Road ?

Does anything use that chord at Gartcosh?

The diveunder from the Central bound Cardonald line across to the line from Shields to Polmadie.

The Coatbridge to Gartcosh line is used by the Fort William Alumina trains

Status
Not open for further replies.