• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: lines that are never used by electric traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bovverboy

Established Member
P3 at Oxenholme?

I see that the OP has now amended the thread title.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Well, now that the title is about lines not used by (any form of) electric traction, who is going to list all the non-electrified bits, preserved lines, etc.?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is the Brighton-Hastings a contender here? 3rd rail electrification, and I don't think anything like a 73 has gone down there?....

I'm fairly certain the Network Rail liveried ones have on a track recording train or similar?

Peter C

Established Member
Well, now that the title is about lines not used by (any form of) electric traction, who is going to list all the non-electrified bits, preserved lines, etc.?
In this case, the Cotswold Line, Severn Valley Railway, Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, GWML (between Didcot and Cardiff), Great Central Railway, Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Chiltern Mainline, and many, many others qualify! :)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I'm fairly certain the Network Rail liveried ones have on a track recording train or similar?
Oh OK - thanks. I don't know the line that well and I'd never heard of a 73 going down there. It sounds like something which is in the realm of possibility, though.

-Peter

Bovverboy

Established Member

Good question - we're going to be having the OP blowing a fuse at this rate!

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
Yes the thread has been put in the right context now. I'm always unsure about where and what to post but that's what I meant. Lines that have electric wires above them but have never seen any electric traction like platform 8 in York.

Southsider

Few of branches of the Glasgow network . Neilston , Cathcart Circle (Maxwell Park side ) , Glasgow Queen St low level /Central Low level , though was there a railtour to Dumbarton? Milngavie, Maybe line through to Bathgate . Gourock , Weymss Bay , ardrossan , largs .
The Gourock line was used for testing locos prior to the WCML being electrified to Glasgow.

randyrippley

Established Member
Until recently I would have said Carnforth station but now 88s sometimes work the flasks from Sellafield I’m unsure where they switch over to electric. 331 test runs supposedly run to Carnforth but I don’t know whether any run as far as the station. They mostly seem to terminate in the D&UGL to the south. There definitely was a 331 at Carnforth this week but it was being hauled by a 37 en-route to Skipton.

Platforms 3c and 4c at Preston used to see a lot of electric loco’s when there were loco hauled services that required a loco change. Since they finished they do see the very occasional EMU but I don’t think any EMU passenger service has been booked to depart from them for decades.

Lancaster terminators in the class 87/90 days used to run into Carnforth platform 1 to reverse. More recently I've seen Pendolinos doing the same when there's been a line blockage north of Lancaster. Never seen one on platform 2
What never see electric trains are Lancaster platforms 1&2

Springs Branch

Established Member
Runcorn Folly Lane branch?

De-electrified now, but OHLE was in place since the Crewe - Liverpool electrification. Maybe back in the 1960s there were electrically-hauled freights on there, but trains were diesel-hauled to the ICI works for as far as I can remember.

Craig2601

I saw a small part of a driver's eye view of the Edinburgh - Glasgow lines from Video125 and apparently they are all electrified - if so, has an electric loco ever run down them? I assume that may have happened, but probably in the days of BR?....

-Peter
Loco hauled specials have ran through Glasgow central LL in recent times.

Llama

Established Member
Not sure Manchester Victoria platforms 1 & 2 have seen any electric traction yet, the energisation notice was posted months ago and the restriction for electric traction proceeding east from Victoria towards Bromley Street Jn was restricted a few weeks ago.

lewisf

The electrified run off where the Selby diversion section of the ECML leaves the 4 tracked York to Leeds line. Or the MML fast lines just south of Bedford before the wires currently run out.

skh93

Platforms 1 and 2 at Bolton?
Don't think any testing was even done on that side of the station, happy to be corrected though

Bovverboy

Established Member

Llama

Established Member
Yes, platform 2 at Bolton has seen 319s regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.