• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Liveries which make good buses look bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Basically, what the title says! Personally, I think the new Stagecoach livery makes the E200 MMC look dated:

NCT livery makes the E400 City look boring:

And Anglian Bus livery spoils the look of the Optare Versa.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Basically, what the title says! Personally, I think the new Stagecoach livery makes the E200 MMC look dated:

NCT livery makes the E400 City look boring:

And Anglian Bus livery spoils the look of the Optare Versa.

For NCT, the Lilac Line livery is the most dull! I quite like the NCT liveries.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
When Enviros have their usually black window surrounds over-painted, showing up the differing sizes of windows and ruining the designed curves. Same with Optare Solos/Versas. Here are a few examples....

PaulMc7

Established Member

First Glasgow's livery can make anything look pretty boring tbh. Since we've had more branding it's not as bad because that covers a lot of it and adds more colour but without branding everything looks pretty average with the livery

scosutsut

I was never the biggest fan of Lothian Harlequin, it takes me back to the characterless Tridents but it sat really well on the Geminis

The madder that replaced it was sympathetic to the front end but that upward madder swoop to meet the advertising panel never quite sat right with me...

However it was much better than the angular FOTF being sandwiched on them (I absolutely hate this scheme on original model Gemini and Eclipses and will be glad when they are all phased out!!)

The alternative to FOTF that went on a few was a far better compromise in my opinion, it was more sympathetic to the bodywork lines and doesn't make them look as dated in my opinion

(None of these my photos, my thanks to the talented snappers credited on the links for helping me illustrate my point from a similar angle!)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I was never the biggest fan of Lothian Harlequin, it takes me back to the characterless Tridents but it sat really well on the Geminis

The madder that replaced it was sympathetic to the front end but that upward madder swoop to meet the advertising panel never quite sat right with me...

However it was much better than the angular FOTF being sandwiched on them (I absolutely hate this scheme on original model Gemini and Eclipses and will be glad when they are all phased out!!)

The alternative to FOTF that went on a few was a far better compromise in my opinion, it was more sympathetic to the bodywork lines and doesn't make them look as dated in my opinion

(None of these my photos, my thanks to the talented snappers credited on the links for helping me illustrate my point from a similar angle!)

Of those 4 Harlequin was by far the best imo. The madder scheme was too dark especially at the front, while FOTF doesn't really work on anything that isn't a E400XLB or Post-Facelift Gemini 3.

scosutsut

Over on the other side of the country KCB Network looked absolutely resplendent on the PS types which were brilliant vehicles (and I'm beyond delighted this one is so beautifully preserved!)

Then Barbie came along, which was a downgrade not helped by the fact that they couldn't decide whether to paint the whole light cluster and grill, a bit of both or paint the lights and not the grill.

And then there is Barbie 2. Compared to the red and cream this is a absolute travesty, worst modern livery of all time for me (I'm even taking Stagecoach's new "the washing powder you can count on" effort into account!!)

(Again not my photos full credits on links)

Last edited:

scosutsut

Of those 4 Harlequin was by far the best imo. The madder scheme was too dark especially at the front, while FOTF doesn't really work on anything that isn't a E400XLB or Post-Facelift Gemini 3.
I agree. The Gemini/Eclipse 2s would benefit from the softening of the turns as seen on the XLBs and not the sharp edges that better suit the Gem 3s.

That ain't going to happen now with so many painted now and the eldest probably due replacement before their next repaint would be due. (COVID ignored)

hst43102

And then there is Barbie 2. Compared to the red and cream this is a absolute travesty, worst modern livery of all time for me (I'm even taking Stagecoach's new "the washing powder you can count on" effort into account!!)

Glad someone brought up Barbie 2! Absolutely the worst modern livery, if not the worst livery of all time. Guaranteed to make any bus look outdated and in need of a wash at the same time!

scosutsut

Glad someone brought up Barbie 2! Absolutely the worst modern livery, if not the worst livery of all time. Guaranteed to make any bus look outdated and in need of a wash at the same time!
Definitely a candidate. I can imagine how they thought it was going to work from a render. The reality was just so wrong it looked cheap and it wore terribly as demonstrated by 61370.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Any Wright Bus operating for Dublin Bus where the application of the livery on the front of the bus is dreadful since they always colour the Wright logo in and the light clusters too which makes them look terible.

Eclipse Artic
Someone painted one of them during a repaint with a different livery and management were not happy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49714...ZS1-dQEVpH-dvZrKx-e2Km6h-dB7pME-dvZrQp-dw5ZDC

The same livery is applied to the Geminis as well in a very bland way colouring in the Wright logo

Gemini 3
Here all the light grills and Wright logo are coloured in, looks dreadful.

Dublin Bus Front

Transport for Ireland style front application (ignore the different colours)

Streetlite

Dublin Bus Front

TFI front:

py_megapixel

Established Member
New lighter blue Arriva livery makes Enviros look cheap and tacky in my opinion, can't find a photo but I saw one in Liverpool a while back

Over on the other side of the country KCB Network looked absolutely resplendent on the PS types which were brilliant vehicles (and I'm beyond delighted this one is so beautifully preserved!)

Then Barbie came along, which was a downgrade not helped by the fact that they couldn't decide whether to paint the whole light cluster and grill, a bit of both or paint the lights and not the grill.

(Again not my photos full credits on links)

Barbie 2 was a livery that made any bus look like total trash.

Especially in Glasgow on the PS Types. Their bodywork was already battered and bruised due to the harsh operating environment and lacklustre maintenance and this wall paper livery made them look worse.

Bit of hot weather and the things were littering the streets of Glasgow overheating.

berneyarms

Established Member
Any Wright Bus operating for Dublin Bus where the application of the livery on the front of the bus is dreadful since they always colour the Wright logo in and the light clusters too which makes them look terible.

Eclipse Artic
Someone painted one of them during a repaint with a different livery and management were not happy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49714...ZS1-dQEVpH-dvZrKx-e2Km6h-dB7pME-dvZrQp-dw5ZDC

The same livery is applied to the Geminis as well in a very bland way colouring in the Wright logo

Gemini 3
Here all the light grills and Wright logo are coloured in, looks dreadful.

Dublin Bus Front

Transport for Ireland style front application (ignore the different colours)

Streetlite

Dublin Bus Front

TFI front:

A bit of an over reaction surely?

Hardly makes them look “dreadful” or “terrible”.

Status
Not open for further replies.