• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Mispronounced station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Mitchell Devver

My phone does that on auto correct
Autocorrect is a subject in itself. I've had Pinhole for Pinhoe and Topshop for Topsham.

Not sure if we've had Stow on the Borders line. Apparently it rhymes with cow, not as in Stowmarket or Stow-on-the-Wold.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Quincunx

Autocorrect is a subject in itself. I've had Pinhole for Pinhoe and Topshop for Topsham.

Not sure if we've had Stow on the Borders line. Apparently it rhymes with cow, not as in Stowmarket or Stow-on-the-Wold.
Talking of Autocorrect, I worked at the RUCC for North Western England in the days of WordPerfect. It insisted on changing "Rochdale" to "Rectal" - which seemed more appropriate.

Inversnecky

Not sure about 'purity'. Our English teacher used to get us to say the phrase 'A fair for fur dealers': if the three 'fur' sounds were identical when spoken then you qualified as full scouse.
Having said that the Scouse (and South Lancashire) pronunciation of 'book' and 'brook' is probably closer to the Old English pronunciation.

I've been feasting on the many BTC films now up on YouTube, and marvelling as how pronunciation has moved on from the 50s and even 70s.

I realise that the narrators were no doubt making an effort to be extra clear in their diction, but the quality of vowels is notable, for example /u/ (cardinal 8) as in too/two/screw etc.

Not a station name, but I noticed a narrator refer to "Tees-side", as opposed to the now more common "Tee-side". Was the former how it was previously pronounced?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not a station name, but I noticed a narrator refer to "Tees-side", as opposed to the now more common "Tee-side". Was the former how it was previously pronounced?
Well there you've got me, because I always thought it was "Tees-side". That's how I read it and thus pronounced it, it never occurred to me it could be anything else.

EDIT: it's fine, the OED agrees with me! My relief is palpable ;)

Inversnecky

I could well be very wrong about 'Tees-side' - I guess my unfamiliarity with the local pronunciation, or laziness with my own!

In terms of mispronunciation, I recall an old WW2 Will Hay film, where a Nazi agent parachuted in does his very best to tell the locals that Slough should properly be pronounced as 'Sluff'.

ungreat

The GN 365s auto announcement for Huntingdon used to raise a few eyebrows...:D

david1212

Established Member
In terms of mispronunciation, I recall an old WW2 Will Hay film, where a Nazi agent parachuted in does his very best to tell the locals that Slough should properly be pronounced as 'Sluff'.

While not railway ' The Slough ' in Studley, where the base of Alleys Transport is and summer car boot sale held, is pronounced ' The Sluff '

Calthrop

Established Member
I could well be very wrong about 'Tees-side' - I guess my unfamiliarity with the local pronunciation, or laziness with my own!

While not railway ' The Slough ' in Studley, where the base of Alleys Transport is and summer car boot sale held, is pronounced ' The Sluff '

In fairness -- for all and any "ough" 's, there's a choice of at least ten possible pronunciations !

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Try these for size:

dough
cough
enough
bough
through
thorough
Sounds like the ending of The Chaos:

'Finally: which rhymes with "enough,"
Though, through, plough, cough, hough, or tough?
Hiccough has the sound of "cup"......
My advice is—give it up!'

Strathclyder

Established Member
Too French I think, I've always heard it as a more elided pronunciation -

Chat-le-row.
This is the pronunciation I've always used. Took me a while to get the hang of it though. Chatelherault & Crianlarich were the ones that always tripped me up when I was younger.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Never heard it pronounced with a z - even by locals. Sometimes Roy-slip.
I used to hear Ruislip pronounced as 'Rooslip' by quite a few people, but I've not heard it said that way for some years now (I'm rather glad to say). I've also never heard anyone pronounce the 's' as a 'z'.

Inversnecky

This is the pronunciation I've always used. Took me a while to get the hang of it though. Chatelherault & Crianlarich were the ones that always tripped me up when I was younger.

I only know it from history, and the pronunciation ‘sha-tell-heh-roe’.

Skiddaw

Micheldever, is it Micheal, Mitchell, Michelle, then part two, deever, devver, de ver?

I honestly don't know this one, perhaps someone could put me out of my misery

Mitchell Devver

My phone does that on auto correct
Ah sweet memories! Just up the road from the village I grew up in. It was notorious for people not from the area pronouncing it incorrectly. As was nearby Alresford.

I often have a chuckle at how people (apart from locals) often mispronounce the name of KEIGHLEY station. Do you know of any other station names (let's limit this to England for obvious reasons) that frequently get mispronounced? BTW Keighley is pronounce Keeth-ly - not Keely, Kegly, Kethly or Kylie!!
..And that reminds me of a story my Yorkshire-born & bred husband tells. He was on a bus on his way from Skipton to Bradford. Conductor came around and a man sitting opposite my husband asked (in a strong American accent) for a ticket to 'Kayley'. Apparently, everyone on the bus simultaneously shouted 'KEETHLY!!'

Last edited:

oldgoat

On a Tyne Valley line train to Hexham a while back. The guard, on slowing down for Prudhoe:
"Ladies & Gentlemen, this train is now approaching Prudda. For the benefit of those ladies & gentlemen who've recently bought houses in Prudda, this train is now approaching Prood-hoe".

Inversnecky

At the risk of derailing the thread, or taking it a bit too far from the intended track, I am reminded of a case, not of mispronunciation, but rather of mistranslation.

This misfortune befell a Guardian(iirc) travel writer, documenting his train travels through the Czechoslovak countryside at the end of the 80s.

At one point he was plauding the small and picturesque village of Vychod, completely oblivious to the fact that the sign on the station platform meant ‘way out’, a confusion very eagerly pointed out by a number of subsequent correspondents!

Meerkat

Established Member
At the risk of derailing the thread, or taking it a bit too far from the intended track, I am reminded of a case, not of mispronunciation, but rather of mistranslation.

This misfortune befell a Guardian(iirc) travel writer, documenting his train travels through the Czechoslovak countryside at the end of the 80s.

At one point he was plauding the small and picturesque village of Vychod, completely oblivious to the fact that the sign on the station platform meant ‘way out’, a confusion very eagerly pointed out by a number of subsequent correspondents!
Driving from the German to the Italian bit of Switzerland I thought Uschita must be a massive place from how many motorway junctions it had.....until I realised it was the same as utfahrt - exit.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In a similar vein, there appear to be numerous small hamlets and villages in North Wales which are all called 'Llwybr Cyhoeddus', this based on the number of green signposts that you get to see pointing to them all. ;)

P.S. Wonder which is the most often mispronounced Welsh railway station name?

Caboose Class

Also in a similar vein, that place called Goslow, painted on road junctions everywhere in the UK, but I've still yet to find it.

Inversnecky

In a similar vein, there appear to be numerous small hamlets and villages in North Wales which are all called 'Llwybr Cyhoeddus', this based on the number of green signposts that you get to see pointing to them all. ;)

P.S. Wonder which is the most often mispronounced Welsh railway station name?

This has to be seen to be believed: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

until I realised it was the same as utfahrt - exit.
I thought it was ausfahrt?
Unless he is mixing it up with uitgang - Dutch for exit?

Status
Not open for further replies.