• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Mispronounced station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAO

Post 397 highlighted the problem that we/us Scousers have, in that we default to short vowels. Thus my early trips South were difficult when I asked for Basingstoke or Bath. I should have said Bayzingstoke and Barth.

I had a school language teacher who said that Scousers had purer vowel sounds so could speak other languages better.

Mind you, Burscough varies from Berr's coe in Liverpool to Busker in W Lancs but not Barscuff anywhere.

And there's only one vowel in Walton.

Greetings

WAO

McRhu

How do Lanarkshire folk pronounce Airbles?....or Tillietudlem (closed 1955)?
The trick is (and this applies to everything uttered with the old vocal cords within the ancient bounds of said county) is to pronounce the names as gruffly, quickly and incomprehensibly as possible.

Lloyds siding

Post 397 highlighted the problem that we/us Scousers have, in that we default to short vowels. Thus my early trips South were difficult when I asked for Basingstoke or Bath. I should have said Bayzingstoke and Barth.

I had a school language teacher who said that Scousers had purer vowel sounds so could speak other languages better.

Mind you, Burscough varies from Berr's coe in Liverpool to Busker in W Lancs but not Barscuff anywhere.

And there's only one vowel in Walton.

Greetings

WAO
Not sure about 'purity'. Our English teacher used to get us to say the phrase 'A fair for fur dealers': if the three 'fur' sounds were identical when spoken then you qualified as full scouse.
Having said that the Scouse (and South Lancashire) pronunciation of 'book' and 'brook' is probably closer to the Old English pronunciation.

prod_pep

Established Member
Noticed yesterday they have corrected the pronunciation of Alvechurch on the 323s' auto announcements. I'm surprised they bothered but credit where it's due.

It is still 'Alverchurch' according to the 'Anne' voice at stations, however.

Parallel

Established Member
There seems to be a bit of a 'holm'/'home' split on the railway for places like Holmes Chapel and Oxenholme. I thought 'holm' was said 'home' but I hear 'Oxen-holme' about as frequently (if not more) than 'Oxen-home'.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There seems to be a bit of a 'holm'/'home' split on the railway for places like Holmes Chapel and Oxenholme. I thought 'holm' was said 'home' but I hear 'Oxen-holme' about as frequently (if not more) than 'Oxen-home'.
A spot of "spelling re-pronunciation"?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In a similar vein is Cheadle Hulme... is the L in "Hulme" pronounced or not? I've heard both.

Pigeon

Noticed yesterday they have corrected the pronunciation of Alvechurch on the 323s' auto announcements. I'm surprised they bothered but credit where it's due.

It is still 'Alverchurch' according to the 'Anne' voice at stations, however.

You could have fun arguing over whether the station where that line used to meet the GWR is Eefsham or Eve-esham.

Ken H

On Moderation
You could have fun arguing over whether the station where that line used to meet the GWR is Eefsham or Eve-esham.
Good job Alcester closed some decades ago then !!!

(Locals call it 'olsta'. Brummies say it how it's spelled)

mrd269697

TFW on board announcements pronounce Hawarden as How’ordun rather than Hard’un - as I believe it is correctly pronounced.

Monarch010

Back in the Eighties I was living near Stroud, Gloucestershire and was commuting by train from there to London.
One March one of my colleagues was in a party on a charter special going to the Cheltenham Festival. The train came to a stop in the station, held on a red signal.
"Oh" said one of my friend's mates, "We're in Strood".
"No" said my friend, "I work with someone who lives here, and it's pronounced Strowd."
"No, no, Strood"
"No, Strowd".
"Right" said his mate "We'll settle this."
Standing ion the platform was someone waiting for his train. The window on the door was lowered.
"Here mate, where are we?"
Indicating the station name board came the reply "Can't you f***ing read?"

Oxfordblues

One reason the GWR closed Rhosllanerchrugog station in 1931 was that nobody could pronounce it!

Calthrop

Established Member
One reason the GWR closed Rhosllanerchrugog station in 1931 was that nobody could pronounce it!

My late mother and her siblings (English, born in Chester circa 100 years ago): in their youth -- deliberately and humorously botching Welsh nomenclature -- took pleasure in calling said place "Roast Lamb And Goosegogs [=gooseberries]".

DaveHarries

Established Member
A relative of mine once got asked, by an American, for directions to "Salisbury", pronounced as you see it.

Dave

Inversnecky

An American on hearing the correct pronunciation ’Edinbruh’, asked if it was near ‘Edinboro’ (you might have assumed ‘Edinburg’).

D6130

Established Member
The locals pronounce it exactly as stated by @Mcr Warrior in post #447 above.....according to my friend in Lockerbie. There's a massive timber processing plant there between the WCML and the M74....but does it have a rail connection? (Sorry.... going somewhat OT there!).

Status
Not open for further replies.