• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most annoying sound made by a train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Deltics. That infernal droning they make: sound like a badly tuned set of bagpipes.

xotGD

Established Member
The squeak squeak squeak from the vestibule connections on Mark 3s.

fgwrich

Established Member
Deltics. That infernal droning they make: sound like a badly tuned set of bagpipes.
That's certainly on my list too, along with the controversial choice of the VP185 engine (Yes, I like the MTU & original more).

Would agree about endless announcements too, particularly some of the "regional" ones like GWR'ssssssssss.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I’d like to start off with whatever that whirring/fan noise is on the class 331 -
So irritatingly loud! I’d love to see an explanation for whatever it is.
These are both strong contenders, but for me it's bitonal door release sounders (the quarter-second ones used on 195/331/345/710/720/745/755 etc.)

Clansman

Established Member
Out of curiosity, do gangway doors fitted to the Chiltern Mk3s minimise this?

Also worth a mention is the slight irk one gets from the format of ScotRail I7C HST announcements when approaching an interchange station. "We are now approaching Dundee, [BTP 61016 announcement in a different newly recorded tone], change here for services to X, Y, Z". Not sure if this is deliberate or a mistake. The tone change reminds me of the hassle it took to get the newly recorded announcement of 'Edinburgh Gateway' to fit in as much as possible into 20 year old pre-recorded announcement sequencing.

route101

Established Member
The door beepers on Scotrail EMUS, some are very piercing.

Definitely the high pitched, continuous whistle of the air conditioning in first class on 166 (do they still make this noise? haven't been on one since they moved on from Reading area). Preferred standard class if they were making the noise.

furnessvale

Established Member
The engines on a DMU revving up as you just get to the bottom of the footbridge steps.

apinnard

The really loud clunk of the VCB opening when traversing neutral sections. On some unit classes it’s really loud when you are sitting beneath the pantograph.

fgwrich

Established Member
Definitely the high pitched, continuous whistle of the air conditioning in first class on 166 (do they still make this noise? haven't been on one since they moved on from Reading area). Preferred standard class if they were making the noise.

Yes, the very headache inducing high pitched whine which is still there. Unfortunately it’s how to ruin the declassified FC section.

northernbelle

For me, it's (in order from most annoying):

- Class 57/6 idle sound when providing ETS (the noise catches my ears at just the wrong pitch!)

- Wind noise/knocking suspension sound on CAF loco hauled stock

- Squeaking Mark 3 gangways - especially on a long journey

- Rattling Mark 3 luggage racks when the thing has wheelflats

- Squeaky Desiro suspension

CBlue

I second this, although I also found the Mark 4's weren't any better for annoying squeaky rattles!

Some Electrostars also seem to make a rather unpleasant high-pitched frequency when idle. Not exactly sure what makes it but it's not a nice noise.

SteveM70

Established Member
- see it say it sorted announcements

- over-loud announcements on 195s

- the annoying underfloor knocking noise on most 195s

- the grating noise when the doors open on voyagers

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The door beepers on Scotrail EMUS, some are very piercing.

For piercing - absolutely nothing come close to the doors release bleep on a Class 175. Only slightly higher and only dogs would hear it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The hustle alarm- that indicates its a crappy slidy door thing, rather than a proper slammer !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
1) the rattling of the cutlery placed too near crockery / glassware on a Pendolino.

2) the tennis ball that’s dropped onto the internal ceiling of a Class 700 (I still don’t know what it is)

xotGD

Established Member
Out of curiosity, do gangway doors fitted to the Chiltern Mk3s minimise this?
I wouldn't know as I only ever sit at the very front to hear the pleasant sounds coming from the 68!

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes, the very headache inducing high pitched whine which is still there. Unfortunately it’s how to ruin the declassified FC section.
Not quite as bad in the trailing section in my experience or middle of the train; always seems worse at the front of the train. Whether that is true or just my perception/bias I can't confirm!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Surprised no-one's yet suggested the annoying, shrieking, wheel flange squeal that happens when travelling on Pacer units around tight curves. :|

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can remember being on the station in my childhood when there would be a very loud escape of air that would make me jump at various times. I assume something to do with the EP brake.

jamesnotts86

The rattle of the overhead luggage racks on a 170 Turbostar - seems to happen when the unit is at a certain rev or when idling

But of course, the mother of all irritating sounds...See It, Say It, Sorted o_O I've not travelled by train since February, please tell me it's been dropped?!

Status
Not open for further replies.