• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most annoying sound made by a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

typefish

I dunno- my gym (remember those? Damn Covid) backs onto the tracks just off Regent Road in Salford, and you could definitely tell when a TPE 68 goes past! Although personally, that's a pretty great noise.

I'd be okay if it sounded nice, but it uhm, doesn't?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The high-pitched whining noise the class 380s make. Not the UFO sound - the underlying loud whine they constantly make.

The weird groaning noise the class 320s make when they're sitting idle at a station.

The announcements on the class 334s. The original voice had a rough Glasgow accent but the recordings were stitched together really well. They replaced the voice with Fletcher 15 years ago, made a complete mess of it, and never fixed it. "This train is for BLANARK?"

Logan Carroll

The announcements on the class 334s. The original voice had a rough Glasgow accent but the recordings were stitched together really well. They replaced the voice with Fletcher 15 years ago, made a complete mess of it, and never fixed it. "This train is for BLANARK?"
Good pictures in that video atleast, the pause between Drumgelloch and “where this train will terminate” is especially annoying.

Established Member
Moving from Diesel to Electric traction, I required emergency underpants the first time I heard the pantograph drop above me at well over 100mph :rolleyes:

physics34

Established Member
1) the rattling of the cutlery placed too near crockery / glassware on a Pendolino.

2) the tennis ball that’s dropped onto the internal ceiling of a Class 700 (I still don’t know what it is)
Ha ha. Same here, still no idea what it is

Class800

Established Member
Excessive automated announcements and 'safety' notices - very annoying. In the old days there were no announcements at all on trains

FenMan

Established Member
The discordant symphony of rat-tat-tatting, clattering and thrumming of the interior panels on XC Voyagers, especially when you've got 3 hours to go and have forgotten your headphones.

Miles Bown

The worst is the helicopter air con on the earlier desiros. Ghastly. Then it goes away for 30 seconds and you think you're free and then it comes back to deafen you again.

Bungle158

I can remember being on the station in my childhood when there would be a very loud escape of air that would make me jump at various times. I assume something to do with the EP brake.
I remember being frightened by that sound as a small child on Wokingham station in the mid 50s. Back then, it would have been BIL or HAL units making the noise. I am no expert on SR EMUs, but l think those units had Westinghouse brakes.

superalbs

Established Member
I find the "clunk" sound caused by the door seal engaging on an IET to be very jarring, however, it doesn't pass as "most annoying" in my opinion as it's only really audible from the vestibule so it's not really noticeable from where most passengers are.

One of the most annoying ones in my opinion is on some 150s, it sounds like (forgive the onomatopoeia) tsch-PSSSS! tsch-PSSSS! tsch-PSSSS! tsch-PSSSS!

I assume you mean the rather patronising female voice (Janine, apparently) they have? "THIS issss....... rrrrREADing! Do NOT try to board or leave the train, when the doors are closing!!!"
They also have a male voice which is a little better IMHO.
Yes. The male voice isn't awful.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember being frightened by that sound as a small child on Wokingham station in the mid 50s. Back then, it would have been BIL or HAL units making the noise. I am no expert on SR EMUs, but l think those units had Westinghouse brakes.

Yes, they were definitely pre EP.

_toommm_

Established Member
It has to be:

'NORTHERN IS CURRENTLY FOLLOWING GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES REGARDING CORONAVIRUS. STATIONS AND TRAINS ARE REGULARLY CLEANED etc.'

hacman

Was it not a Networker and Turbo thing? I’m sure the Class 165 fleet used to make the same Ding before doors opened as well.

Indeed it was - remember it from the 165/166 when they ran out of Paddington.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes. The male voice isn't awful.
Except for the fact he clearly tries to speak in an intimidating way, as if to scare us into buying a ticket, honestly I find it quite laughable because it’s not intimidating at all :lol: Similar to SouthEastern’s booming male voice that shouts “ALL OF US AT SOUTHEASTERN APPRECIATE YOU WEARING A FACE COVERING”

superalbs

Established Member
Except for the fact he clearly tries to speak in an intimidating way, as if to scare us into buying a ticket, honestly I find it quite laughable because it’s not intimidating at all :lol: Similar to SouthEastern’s booming male voice that shouts “ALL OF US AT SOUTHEASTERN APPRECIATE YOU WEARING A FACE COVERING”
It is sort of cringe, but at least it's not painful, like the main voice is.

It is sort of cringe, but at least it's not painful, like the main voice is.

Inversnecky

Do HST drivers find the engine noise heard from the cab rather irritating - seems to be from what I've heard.

fkofilee

Go Stand in STP Platforms for TL - And listen to the infernal screeching made as trains come in and depart... Its ear piercing...

Try listening to the racket a 172/2 or 172/3 makes on idle or when at a stand. the exhaust pipe housing vibrates so much with the revs it sounds like its going to fall off any moment.

4REP

The tick tock sound in idle locos and some instances some EMU's like 321/2's

FLIRTfan18

I hate the traction motors on the class 350 from the outside when pulling off. I think the other Desiros sound the same. That awful whirring noise (if you can call it that). Then as it gains speed becomes slightly higher pitched, which sounds even worse. Its a right racket and the polar opposite of the melodic elegance of a 323!

Status
Not open for further replies.