• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most annoying sound made by a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The rattle of the overhead luggage racks on a 170 Turbostar - seems to happen when the unit is at a certain rev or when idling

But of course, the mother of all irritating sounds...See It, Say It, Sorted o_O I've not travelled by train since February, please tell me it's been dropped?!
Alas...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
The high pitched squeal from the brakes of units like the 80X & 180 Fleets. Try working in a station where you hear that all day!

Another nomination - irritating and pointless announcements like Reading's "TOILETS ARE LOCATED ON THE PLATFORMS" announcements which seemingly come out of nowhere and at full volume.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Voyager fifths because someone has mistaken the alarm in the tiolet* for the flush button again.

* old uk.railway slang. @Bletchleyite will remember.

Established Member
The endless miserable tickets and safety automated announcements on a Northern 319. On a stopper between Wigan and Liverpool the thing basically never shuts up, it's enough to make you weep.

Journeyman

Established Member
The squeak squeak squeak from the vestibule connections on Mark 3s.

Absolutely. One of many issues with them - I've no idea why so many people consider them THE GREATEST CARRIAGES OF ALL TIME.

Oh, and the noisy chatter in the Pendolino Staff Lounge, aka coach K.

Does anyone else remember the loud and piercing shrieking from the wheels of 156s on the curves of the West Highland line in their earlier years? I remember my first West Highland Sprinter journey in February 1990 being very noisy (interestingly, somewhat less so after turning off onto the Oban line at Crianlarich, if I remember rightly). Apart from Oban-Crianlarich a few weeks later, my next such journey was in 1992 and was much quieter -- some Googling finds this (scroll down a bit), which if correct indicates that the solution involved gluing aluminium discs to the wheels.

Smitham

Some Electrostars also seem to make a rather unpleasant high-pitched frequency when idle. Not exactly sure what makes it but it's not a nice noise.

This. And I would love to knowe the cause. Sounds like interference.

peakNed

Deltics in general.

Or 66s everything rattles and reverberates, different locos rattle different things in different power notches though...

DM352

The annoying whining sound of the original pacer with self changing gears just before the change to the next gear. Cannot remember if it was both carriages or the rear one in reverse as it sounded like a spur gear.

There is a youtube of one at Huyton where the rear 142 was not converted to voith still with the TL11

greeny11

I was about to say the UFO noise from the class 350s. Also, the really annoying alarm sound you sometimes hear on class 390s, though I am not sure why that noise is made.

Megafuss

The sound of the automatic vestibule doors on MK4 coaches is really annoying especially on long distance runs when folk are wandering up and down the train all the time to the toilet and cafe bar.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The sound of the automatic vestibule doors on MK4 coaches is really annoying especially on long distance runs when folk are wandering up and down the train all the time to the toilet and cafe bar.
When something in the doorway is triggering it, and you hear the valve operating several times a second continuously...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Voyager fifths because someone has mistaken the alarm in the tiolet* for the flush button again.

* old uk.railway slang. @Bletchleyite will remember.

It only becomes annoying once you've found out what causes it. ("Oh great, ANOTHER person can't work the toilet")

Speaking of toilets:
-The former Virgin 'talking toilets' with Ron Burgundy
-Class 365s have a bell that goes 'ding ding ding' repeatedly when somebody inside has forgotten to lock, as a (not very obvious) reminder, annoyingly audible from the outside

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The tone change reminds me of the hassle it took to get the newly recorded announcement of 'Edinburgh Gateway' to fit in as much as possible into 20 year old pre-recorded announcement sequencing.

The 'Sandwell and Dudley' announcement, squeezed into the station list on Anglo- Scottish via the W.Mids, was (or even is) like that - with the added distinction of being made in the local accent.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I don’t find the ride on a Pendolino to be very smooth, feeling like it’s bouncing along making a slight banging noise

Whistler40145

Established Member
'This train will terminate here. The Rail Replacement Bus Service can be found outside the Station entrance"
I find it quite amusing when the announcement is made and looking at the clueless staff where the replacement buses are

CBlue

The VCB bang on 379/387s
Having travelled on both classes from Cambridge to London many, many times since their introduction - I can't say I've ever noticed the noise as an independent one from the clattering and banging over pointwork at speed Electrostars can do.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Having travelled on both classes from Cambridge to London many, many times since their introduction - I can't say I've ever noticed the noise as an independent one from the clattering and banging over pointwork at speed Electrostars can do.
It’s absolutely awful under the pantograph, happens all the time just south of Tottenham Hale and it’s literally a sudden BANG, always makes me jump

richieb1971

Established Member
I used to be amused by the sissing noises of the carriages on the anglian route hauled by 90's.

180's braking into Doncaster is the worst i've heard. With buildings all around you the sound cannot escape and echoes into the distance. Standing right by it should be illegal.

When I was a kid valenta HST's were so terrifying i'd cover my ears and run for cover before the tailing power car reached me.

Status
Not open for further replies.