• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most impressive stretch of line on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any route over two hours frequently operated by class 158 seems to have an impressively scenic part. An odd measurement I know, but it does seem to hold true, although I'm sure there are some exceptions. So this includes Hope Valley, Settle and Carlisle, various lines in Scotland, Dawlish, Cambrian, etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hermit

Two favourite stretches which I don’t think have been mentioned:

- the Gunnislake branch, with great views of the Tamar, and the wonderful Calstock viaduct; and

- the Arun Valley line from Pulborough to Ford, and particularly the romantic view of Arundel.

Ayman Ilham

Yeah, I like that too - the rest of the ECML is incredibly boring.
Except for, of course, stunning city views of both Newcastle and Durham, the latter with a magnificent cathedral dominating the skyline!

And my favourite stretch of railway is definitely the North Wales Coast between Chester and Bangor, with all sorts of scenic views with mountains on one side and seaside on the other! Best part of that route specifically will be after Llandudno Junction where you go right through Conwy castle and shortly after, through Penmaenmawr which is super underrated, as the railway goes right next to the sea just like Dawlish, if not closer in some parts! They ought to call Penmaenmawr the 'Dawlish of Wales' or the 'Dawlish of the North' :lol: you also get some picturesque city views of Bangor and its prominent university buildings with a mix of architectural eras!

Last edited:

Ayman Ilham

Any route over two hours frequently operated by class 158 seems to have an impressively scenic part. An odd measurement I know, but it does seem to hold true, although I'm sure there are some exceptions. So this includes Hope Valley, Settle and Carlisle, various lines in Scotland, Dawlish, Cambrian, etc.
I love how the 158 has perfect seat-to-window alignment too with the windows being panoramic themselves as well, so it's definitely the perfect choice for such routes! They ought to brand the 158 the 'King of Scenic Routes'

Amlag

Line from Bere Alston to Gunnislake .
A miraculous ever twisting,slow speed survivor, that crosses a tall, very impressive Viaduct at Calstock and then steeply climbs on an orginally light railway formation to its present terminus high up on the side of the once busy mining and market gardening Tamar Valley.

D6130

Established Member
Not exactly conventionally beautiful , the brilliant blue brickwork in the cuttings & tunnels into Birmingham New street from Worcester. Millions of bricks with just about 1/8" mortar between them.
As all my favourite Scottish lines have already been mentioned, how about Settle Junction - Carnforth, Guildford - Havant, Tonbridge - Hastings, Salisbury - Westbury and Salisbury - Exeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.