• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most impressive stretch of line on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Brora to Helmsdale is a firm favourite. The line is strung out into the bays that bite into the coastline, and, when you look down, you honestly expect see sand at your feet rather than train carpet.

Wildlife on the beach too, and in the glens...
I enjoyed that run (Inverness-Wick) in a quiet 158 more than the packed 156 on the West Highland (Glasgow-Oban) the previous day, mostly staring at pine trees.

Industrially, the mile from Edge Hill down to Lime St in the deep sandstone cutting is special, especially now it has been modernised and cleaned up.
Joseph Locke's northern WCML is special too, all that way over the fells without tunnels (so good long views).

I always look out for the 125mph through Rugby, at maximum left hand tilt both south and north of the station.
There are about a dozen similar "double-tilt" (sometimes triple) locations on the WCML, but none of these are through major stations.
Linslade, Wolverton, Weedon, Lichfield, Whitmore, Tebay and the upper Clyde Valley around Abington come close.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

R G NOW.

What about the beautiful entrance into Liverpool lime street with the impressive cutting that must have cost a packet and has very high walls to the sides and lastly the lovely job network rail did at relaying tracks, making it even more pleasurable entering into a platform.

Mat17

I know some have already mentionned the Hope Valley line and in parts I would concur. However, I would also like to add in the Huddersfield-Manchester route via Standedge. There's quite a lot of moorland and wild windswept parts on there to rival those of Hope and Edale. Especially on a rainy, atmospheric day.

I can only imagine how impressive the Woodhead route would have been, by all accounts the part of the line around Longdendale had an eerie feel at times.

I guess I like the fact that these places remind me, that for all the culture and civilisation of our towns and cities, be that Sheffield, Manchester, Huddersfield etc. To get across the Pennines from one to the other, you have to go through nature's unbridled battleground. Looks great for walking in the summer, picturesque in the snow and wild and rugged in the stormy, windswept rain. How a place and be so changeable (welcoming or foreboding) impresses me, it feels alive. In a way that Worksop to Lincoln/Cleethorpes just doesn't - nothing but repetitive flat farmer's fields for as far as the eye can see, mile after mile. Pretty dull really.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
First glimpse of the Malvern Hills

Abroad: approaching Stralsund at sunset, the track curves so that the church towers seem to move

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway, especially the stretches around Romney marsh and Dungeness, a place with truly unique scenery, and I’m not just talking about the power station.

Other favourites include Lancaster to Edinburgh & the GWML from Exeter to Newton Abbot, though that is rather overshadowed by the classic route between Barcelona and Tarragona, following the Mediterranean Sea, which I experienced around a week later.

peteb

Waterloo to Clapham junction in both directions if only for the glimpses of big ben and to marvel at the 8 (?) Parallel running lines. Better from the cab of course!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Wigan Wallgate to Southport is quite scenic, once you get passed Martland Mill and the hideous Arrow XL building.

CJ

E27007

opened in 1909 then closed in 1965, the 21 Arch Conisbrough blue brick viaduct in South Yorkshire is now a walking and cycling route, the spectacular height over the Don Valley is not for those with vertigo, the line was a single track freight line to Edlington, probably saw little use in its working life, the lengths to wish the railways would speculate over potential coal treaffic

Last edited:

Roger100

I quite like the Piccadilly Line between Hounslow West and Earls Court. An odd choice, I suppose. The train emerges from the dark into the light, and from below the streets to above them. And coming out from the Heathrow tunnels it's a great relief to my ears.

I also like the runs into major termini, like Paddington and Kings Cross. Decades ago it was a treat to go from home at Iver to Paddington, passing infrastructure like marshalling yards, engine sheds, with mystery lines disappearing into the industrial landscape, the Routemaster Bus factory, HMV Records, the aroma from Nestlé roasting coffee (which travelled for miles in all directions). Wharncliffe Viaduct then Hanwell Station, untouched by time, great stuff.

Mikey C

Established Member
I quite like the Piccadilly Line between Hounslow West and Earls Court. An odd choice, I suppose. The train emerges from the dark into the light, and from below the streets to above them. And coming out from the Heathrow tunnels it's a great relief to my ears.

I also like the runs into major termini, like Paddington and Kings Cross. Decades ago it was a treat to go from home at Iver to Paddington, passing infrastructure like marshalling yards, engine sheds, with mystery lines disappearing into the industrial landscape, the Routemaster Bus factory, HMV Records, the aroma from Nestlé roasting coffee (which travelled for miles in all directions). Wharncliffe Viaduct then Hanwell Station, untouched by time, great stuff.
The Nestle plant was a sad loss, especially as it looked so ridiculously industrial, like an oil refinery or chemicals factory, rather than a coffee plant!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
The Cumbrian coast line is pretty cool but it has been out of service for a while since the landslide near Whitehaven. Anyone know if its back up and running?

CJ

387star

On Moderation
Bradford on Avon to Bath is stunning
Like a Constable painting. Dreamy.

Scottychoo

I did Lancaster to Carlisle via Barrow the other day, the Carnforth to Barrow section is stunning.
Also did Carlisle to Skipton the day after with a stop off in Settle. Think the Settle and Carlisle is hard to beat.

jfisher21

Bowling - Craigendoran has good views of the clyde, a nice introduction before turning off on to the West Highland line.

Also Leigh on Sea area on c2c or whatever they are called now, good views of the Thames Estuary.

Gems

I think the Shipley to Bradford Forster Square line takes some beating. It is so good I encourage people to play the generation game during the 7 minute run. If they can name all the rubbish they have seen dumped by fly tippers when they reach Bradford they get to keep it. Oh yes, you'll find some cuddly toys along with the traffic cones, Bed headboards, old cupboards and the occasional pram.

But on a more serious note. I have to say the St Erth to St ives branch does take some beating. It's like a ten minute optical high. You come out of a cutting to be met by the most glorious turquoise sea. Absolutely lovely.

Parallel

Established Member
Bradford on Avon to Bath is stunning
Like a Constable painting. Dreamy.
Fortunate enough to have this as my daily commute and I’ve never got bored of it. Also nice on the approach to Westbury with the white horse in the background.

387star

On Moderation
Fortunate enough to have this as my daily commute and I’ve never got bored of it. Also nice on the approach to Westbury with the white horse in the background.
The whole line from Redbridge Junction to Bristol Temple Meads is near enough uninterrupted beautiful rural scenery

backontrack

Established Member
Wildlife on the beach too, and in the glens...
I enjoyed that run (Inverness-Wick) in a quiet 158 more than the packed 156 on the West Highland (Glasgow-Oban) the previous day, mostly staring at pine trees.
It's a wonderful stretch of line. Real scenic marketing potential too.

Status
Not open for further replies.