• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Non-authentic trains in films, TV shows and other media

Status
Not open for further replies.

bussikuski179

Another one which is rather less pedantic, Breeders. They get on a LNER HST somewhere in Wiltshire, then arrive into St Pancras. At least they got the type of train correct, albeit in the wrong TOC’s colors and the wrong London terminal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On the episode of The Young Ones where they appear on University Challenge, the Scumbag College team travel to the studio on an IC125... However University Challenge is filmed in Manchester with the house of the Young Ones being in North London, so a 125 wouldn't be the standard allocation for that journey.
The house used for filming most episodes was in Bristol, so a HST is slightly more appropriate in that aspect... though I think most Bristol to Manchester services would have been LHCS in the early to mid 1980s.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
There was a Miss Marple (in company, forced to watch) in which she catches a train at what is clearly Marylebone. It was an HST (they did get there) and she sat down in the compartment of a side-corridor coach, with the controls for steam heat each side of the window. Set in ca 1950...

Gloster

Established Member
In the film The Fourth Protocol (filmed and set in the early 1980s) a character travels by train to Colchester. Unfortunately, the station he departs from is obviously St Pancras.

pitdiver

There was a Miss Marple (in company, forced to watch) in which she catches a train at what is clearly Marylebone. It was an HST (they did get there) and she sat down in the compartment of a side-corridor coach, with the controls for steam heat each side of the window. Set in ca 1950...
Was that the ITV version as I would have thought the version shown on the BBC with Joan Hickson would have had better production values.

James Bond From Russia With Love: In some night scenes the Orient Express heading at speed towards Venice looks suspiciously like Southern Region stock.
Not SR stock, they use a blue filter to film a night shot during day time. This turns red to green it's most noticeable here that the buffer beam on the loco is bright red. Therefore the coaches are redish.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Casualty last year had someone fall under a train at 'Holby City', which was quite clearly a heritage railway, and the train comprised of ex. GX stock, perhaps even a MLV or GLV at the front, and a 73 at the rear.
That will be 73118, fitted with couplers for rescuing Eurostar 373s.

Trackman

Established Member
On the episode of The Young Ones where they appear on University Challenge, the Scumbag College team travel to the studio on an IC125... However University Challenge is filmed in Manchester with the house of the Young Ones being in North London, so a 125 wouldn't be the standard allocation for that journey.
The house used for filming most episodes was in Bristol, so a HST is slightly more appropriate in that aspect... though I think most Bristol to Manchester services would have been LHCS in the early to mid 1980s.
They set off from Temple Meads too.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Was that the ITV version as I would have thought the version shown on the BBC with Joan Hickson would have had better production values.

I'm sorry I can't say.
It was apparently set in the 1950s (although before the NHS was established :s ) and another piece of in - authenticity was the choice of road vehicles - ones that were new in the 1940s and 1950s, and all immaculate. I was there and I remember that there were few new vehicles about, most being old or ex - Military and often poorly maintained - even the '10 year test' (the predecessor of MoT testing) was in the future, so details like lights, steering and brakes were often deficient.
The good old days...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There is an HST passing the background in a scene in Quadrophenia set in the 1960s

There is also another howler to mention in Quadrophenia. Regarding the 5:15 to Brighton in this movie they used a class 50 (50008 from memory) departing from what was obviously Paddington, the onboard shots were also filmed in loco hauled compartment stock and clearly not a southern region emu of the supposed era!

Status
Not open for further replies.