• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: non stop services under an overall roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomnot27

Don't TPE services that bypass Darlington use the bypass lines outside the station

Same with York and VTEC flying Scotsman service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield used to have (and may still have) a few regularly diverted South TPE services which would run through without calling. Those heading towards Manchester would definitely pass under the trainshed, those for Sheffield would most likely use P8 which isn't under the roof but could use P4 which is.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Don't TPE services that bypass Darlington use the bypass lines outside the station

Same with York and VTEC flying Scotsman service

Nope.

At Darlington TPE run through the platforms non stop, and at York the Flying Scotsman runs through platform 3.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This seems to be a fairly rare occurrence...

I suspect here are some pretty obscure ones, but how many examples can we come up with of a non stop service through a station with an overall roof?

TPE have a few which DISGRACEFULLY pass through Darlington platforms non stop.

Virgin Trains East Coast's Flying Scotsman does York non stop.

Thoughts on some more? I'm looking for long term booked route rather than as hoc diversions.

Fixed that for you! ;)

Wembley Central springs to mind.

Is that a station roof or a tunnel?

The Up Fast at Rugby is under the overall (island) station roof, and there are many non-stopping trains.
It's also possible on the Down Slow but unusual today.
Of course now that there are two outlying platforms outside the original canopy it rather complicates the situation.
There are several stations with extensive roofs which don't quite cover all platforms.

Rugby doesn't have an overall roof by any stretch of the imagination!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Fixed that for you! ;)

It's the extensions of the previous York terminating services. As I understand it there is insufficient time to call at Darlington due to another service behind them.

I'd be surprised if this is not eventually resolved when other work is done on the timetable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the extensions of the previous York terminating services. As I understand it there is insufficient time to call at Darlington due to another service behind them.

I'd be surprised if this is not eventually resolved when other work is done on the timetable.

My impression was that they don't have time to call as otherwise they don't meet the minimum turn around time at Newcastle?

Tomnot27

The current 185's can only do 100mph while all other trains that use the line can go at 125mph meaning TPE services are caught up with most services wanting to stop at Darlington and Durham

Crossover

Established Member
Is there any reason why TPE don't use the through lines at Darlo?

0521 Crewe - Euston which only runs Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It does miss out Milton Keynes though.

A couple of days this week it has been booked via Stafford

Darandio

Established Member
Nope.

At Darlington TPE run through the platforms non stop, and at York the Flying Scotsman runs through platform 3.

Cannot be every single time though.

A few Saturdays ago, one preceded a railtour (was 47 vice a failed Steam loco) and passed on the down fast, the railtour followed 3-4 mins later on the same line.

Granted, that is the only time i've been there where one was booked to pass.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
My impression was that they don't have time to call as otherwise they don't meet the minimum turn around time at Newcastle?

On that basis would you choose to call at Durham but not Darlington? My impression was it was because the XC ex Reading/Southampton was too close behind - and that it stopping at Darlington gives the TPE time to get far enough ahead to call at Durham.

Presumably they don't sign the route.

Darandio

Established Member
Until someone who knows TPE route cards comes along we're not going to know - that could have had a route conductor...

Well, that wasn't the service I saw, so that makes at least two. I find it unlikely that they don't sign the fasts, but we'll wait and see.

As those familiar with the area will know, a lot of northbound freight services use platform 4 to avoid conflict with services into platform 1, not because of signing issues. I'd wager this is the same reason.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member

D6975

Established Member

On a down service it means crossing the up line twice. Simpler to stay to the left of it to avoid the possibility of conflicting moves.

Crossover

Established Member
On a down service it means crossing the up line twice. Simpler to stay to the left of it to avoid the possibility of conflicting moves.

I'll dig the track map out to see the full layout here to understand why this is the case

D6975

Established Member
Relevent lines only shown.
Taking the northbound red route crosses the southbound (platform) route twice,

Attachments

• dar.jpg
    dar.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 29

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Err what is the point in having the down avoider then? There must be a time penalty associated with having to be routed through the station?

D6975

Established Member
It still gets used, just not as frequently as it did.
It's sometimes used as a passing loop. I've seen freights held there for a few minutes on more than one occasion.

In days gone by there used be many more services that ran non stop through Darlington than nowadays and the mainlines were used much more.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Err what is the point in having the down avoider then? There must be a time penalty associated with having to be routed through the station?

freight mainly although northbound services will often run through the station to avoid the double crossing issue referred to above. Southbound flyers are much more common

On that basis would you choose to call at Durham but not Darlington?

More students? Those for the University of Smogland can catch a direct TPE from the Boro.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surprised Paisley Gilmour Street has not been mentioned - was admiring it's overall roof today whilst non stop services to/from Ayr passed through.

Status
Not open for further replies.