• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: outdated posters and signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I was on a Northern unit today where I spotted a "please keep your feet off the seats" poster with the old Northern branding dated July 2008. It showed an old FirstGroup-design seat cover smeared with muddy footprints, and quotes from customers about how unpleasant it is when people put their feet on seats.

Since 2008 (which I'm aware may not be when the poster when it was actually put up, it may be something like when the first batch of this design was printed) it's worked for 3 different operators during which time the interior has been refreshed twice, and the actual poster seems to have experienced some abuse, with noticeable tearing in several places. Despite this, it's still up.

Any other examples of posters or signage remaining for a long time beyond when you'd expect them to be taken down?

Obviously preserved features on heritage stock and stations don't count for the purposes of this thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

uvarvu

What about the old South West Trains posters at Platform 9¾?

365 Networker

For quite a few years there was an NSE sign on platform 3 at Huntingdon - I believe it has now been covered over. There are also a few nse signs and route maps which remain on the tunnel walls on the northern city line - I seem to remember that this was due to network rail owning the walls and great northern owning the platform.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Batley still has banners on both platforms bearing the message:
"Home of Batley Bulldogs: Northern Rail Cup Winners 2010!"
The "Northern Rail Cup" was Rugby League's second-tier knockout competition, formerly the Regal Trophy. It was contested for the final time in 2013.

Mat17

Stocksmoor has a sign on the boarded up waiting room door say "please obtain your ticket from the conductor on the train" - clearly from the days before 'buy before you board' - I'd guess 1990s vintage - probably Regional Railways era.

D1537

Rugby had signage for the exhibitions and fan zone for the 2015 Rugby World Cup for months (if not years) after they'd closed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
South West Trains maps on 455s offering interchange for Eurostar at Waterloo

mmh

Established Member
Conwy station has a very faded sign saying "This platform for blah, blah, London Euston."

Not that I'm convinced that was ever a direct journey!

miklcct

On Moderation
Also, British Rail sign in tube stations, and Overground Network signs in the Southeastern metro network.

NSE

Established Member
South West Trains maps on 455s offering interchange for Eurostar at Waterloo
And Littlehampton interchange at Dorking, North Woolwich trains at Clapham and to change for trains via ‘Cystal Palace’. Plus it also has Wimbledon down as ‘trains to Bedford’. Not wrong as some early morning/late evening services do run to Bedford, but certainly not the most useful station to chose. Possibly one of the most mistakes per size of the map on offer

Basil Jet

On Moderation
High Wycombe has a large attractive sign that says something like "Change for trains to Marlow". I hope they never get rid of it.

DanNCL

Established Member
A pre-2016 First TPE advert poster remains at Durham station.

Gateshead Metro still has signage referring to trains to Bank Foot - Bank Foot hasn’t been a terminus since the early 1990s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As I’ve mentioned before in other threads, the gigantic advert for Valley Lines (which lost the franchise in 2001 when it was absorbed into Wales & Borders) remains in fairly good condition on the rail bridge at the foot of Cardiff Queen Street.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I assumed that ‘outdated posters‘ was referring to the more aged echelon of forum members … ;)

MaidaVale

Many LU stations (one example being Lancaster Gate, although there are a multitude of others) still have old whiteboard-style Status boards, in which the status is written in manually. These still include the East London Line, and many are still on display for the public, although quite a few are used for other purpouses such as the display of other posters.

Some platform route signs at stations in South London are still in the design of the failed "Overground Network" branding (not to be confused with London Overground, google it if you want to know more). One example is at Blackheath. I don't believe any still have the old "Overground Network" logo on them (correct me if I'm wrong), although the actual sign itself is still in the design and style of the afforementioned O.N.

Some WMR 170s still have some more subtle stickers such as seat numbers and the above-window border stickers as they were with Central Trains.

I believe either Burnage or Mauldeth Road stations in Greater Manchester still has old Northern Rail logos.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Haven't been there since it transferred from GA to Arriva Rail London, but the Ticket Office at Enfield Town still had pricing for (BR) Travel Insurance by the windows last time I bought a ticket there! Presumably mostly because it was easier to leave it in situ than remove it, as it appeared to part of the "furniture".

mrcheek

Established Member
I assumed that ‘outdated posters‘ was referring to the more aged echelon of forum members … ;)
we need to find old threads on the same subject, to see if there are any outdated posts about outdated posters!

Drogba11CFC

There's an old "Track Off" poster at Aldershot, complete with the branding of "Rail Industry Against Trespass and Vandalism".

There's a few signs of the ECML near Newark warning not to trespass. By order of the British Railways Board...

And some signs around the Midlands referring to East Midlands Trains rather than East Midlands Railway

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I regularly use Wigan North Western and I have a chuckle at some of the platform lighting columns. They have been painted in the Avanti green up to half way up and then the top half of the column is still in the Virgin red. It's almost as if the step ladder could only reach so far!

CJ

TheEdge

Established Member
The void between platforms 7 & 8 at Liverpool Street until very recently had 20 year old adverts still up for a few things, including a nice light 1.43kg IBM ThinkPad.

Western 52

In the subway at Cardiff Central there are tiled directions to platform 5, which I think went 50 odd years ago. I guess the tiles are preserved though.

ChilternTurbo

There's a fair amount of Network SouthEast signage and corporate colours still at Marylebone. There's also a BR era passenger luggage trolley at Aylesbury with a Network SouthEast sign stating it's not be removed from Aylesbury Station. Those trolleys used to be everywhere, the ones with the yellow bar which you had to push down to release the brake. I was never sure why they were removed as it was quite handy if you had heavy suitcases.

Status
Not open for further replies.