• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: outdated posters and signage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
I haven't seen a mention of the "British Railways Lowestoft Central" enamel sign on the east wall of Lowestoft station. I assume it must be listed to have lasted so long, unless it's just too difficult to take it down.

View attachment 117501

(screenshot of Street View image of the station and sign)

When I discovered that, I resolved that on my trip to the UK, I'll have to rise early from accommodation at Norwich to fit a switch trip to Lowesoft in. What a beautiful station building, and the sign adds to it.

daodao

Established Member
The entrance to Deansgate station still has its old name "Knott Mill Station" above the "modern" BR/GMPTE nameboard.

Taunton

Established Member
"LT&S" is still in the ornate ironwork holding up the canopy and other items at East Ham Underground.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The entrance to Deansgate station still has its old name "Knott Mill Station" above the "modern" BR/GMPTE nameboard.
There used to be signs to "GMEX" as well. It's only fairly recently that they've been vinyled over with "Manchester Central" (in a font which doesn't match the adjacent signage...)

The Yellow platform lines and associated signage at Blackpool South from its days of through trains to Blackpool Central.

btdrawer

They were removed ages ago I think, but in 2018 these old posters from the mid-80s were visible at Coventry.
Coventry 1.jpgCoventry 2.jpgCoventry 3.jpgCoventry 4.jpg

BenS123

Recently spotted this at Bank Underground Station, note the DLR logo! (sorry for the bad quality image, it was taken in a rush when walking past)

Attachments

• F6D3DF14-FEEC-45BC-9406-146338BF3BBE.jpg
    F6D3DF14-FEEC-45BC-9406-146338BF3BBE.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 138

Doomotron

Sandwich train station has a little sticker in the window at the ticket booth that says that cheques will no longer be accepted from sometime in 2009.

RichJF

Redhill still has a four-sided red/white BR totem outside, with extremely dirty blue 'Redhill' text & Network Southeast markings on it. Ironically enough it has green, crisp Southern (GoVia) stripes on the pole!

Strathclyder

Established Member
Up until the refurbishment Anderston just had, there was SPT signage opposite the Partick bound platform, also attached a photo of that
I distinctly recall something similar being partially uncovered a good few years ago (September 2014 at the earliest) on the same line, one station to the east at Glasgow Central Low Level, also on the Partick-bound platform. IIRC, that was the 'SPT Rail' era branding as opposed to the SPT 'flash'-era iteration at Anderston.

At Glasgow Queen Street Low Level earlier the same year during refurbishment works (image attached below, from scotrail.co.uk) a map dating from the late 70s at the latest was uncovered. Partick is off-center to it's bulletpoint and Yoker has a (High) in parentheses, meaning this is an original, pre-1965 'Blue Train' map tweaked to reflect the Argyle Line opening & the closure of Partickhill in late 1979. I think it was covered up again as opposed to being removed outright. What was uncovered was/is still fairly accurate to the present North Clyde network west of Queen Street (barring Yoker (High) ofc). No doubt if it were fully uncovered, the westernmost extremity of the Balloch branch, as it was in the 60s when this map was current, would've raised a few eyebrows.

15493.jpg

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Shipton in Oxfordshire still has some FGW colours on the information boards next to the London-bound platform. Photo taken today (11th September 2022)

Attachments

• 20220911_124340.jpg
    20220911_124340.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 52

Andy873

I was sent a photo of one station on my old branch line but wasn't given a date. My best guess it was from around the late 1940's to early '50s. A photo expert agreed with me. On the photo next to the name sign is some sort of advertising poster.

I then looked at one of my books about the line and there is another view of the station from 1957, when I zoomed in I could see the same poster.

I didn't think a poster would still be up for what? 5, 8, 10 years, but from what many of you seem to be saying it could well have been there say 10 years...

Can't show you the photos due to copyright but could a poster still be there for years?

Status
Not open for further replies.