• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: outdated posters and signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
There's this one at the western end of Carlisle's footbridge:

275799694_10162449629897580_2374534047975212943_n.jpg
(Many trains stop here for one minute or even less. Please do not enter any carriage unless you are intending to travel. Please help us to keep trains on time by closing doors when you have left the train.)

And this one at Paddington:

_20220711_114138.JPG
(Notice to Tractor Drivers: Maximum no. of brutes to be towed down ramp; 4 fully laden; 6 half laden; 6 empty. These instructions to be complied with at all times. Area Manager.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was on a Northern 195 last week which was scrolling on its fancy new PIS screens, advice not to travel during the RMT strike week - 2 weeks previously!

Drem had First Scotrail signage in the car park as late as September 2020 and I’ve attached a photo of it, I don’t know if it’s still there or not

Up until the refurbishment Anderston just had, there was SPT signage opposite the Partick bound platform, also attached a photo of that

There’s also a First Scotrail sign of some variation behind the ticket machine at Dalmeny on the Kirkcaldy bound platform, can’t remember what it says on it

Attachments

• AF83B74C-D68A-4A55-827C-F5272DFFBD92.jpeg
    AF83B74C-D68A-4A55-827C-F5272DFFBD92.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 10F986C9-B4C9-4D96-A621-95D070566A7B.jpeg
    10F986C9-B4C9-4D96-A621-95D070566A7B.jpeg
    860.2 KB · Views: 129

DelW

Established Member
I haven't seen a mention of the "British Railways Lowestoft Central" enamel sign on the east wall of Lowestoft station. I assume it must be listed to have lasted so long, unless it's just too difficult to take it down.

Screenshot_20220711-163046_Maps.jpg

(screenshot of Street View image of the station and sign)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Until a few weeks ago, there was a Wessex Trains branded station nameplate at Newton St. Cyres - which would’ve been from pre-2006.

There is still a lot of First Great Western branding around too, including on the sides of some Turbos with the old First Great Western website url that doesn’t exist anymore!
There's loads of FGW branding still about the Tarka Line (Exeter to Barnstaple), Portsmouth Arms (and also Filey in North Yorkshire) still has a Regional Railways branded information sign. Bere Alston and I think Calstock too retains Wessex Trains branding. There's a small number of stations in the North West which retain the Network North West branding Ansdell & Fairhaven spring to mind. One of the stations on the Darlington to Saltburn line had the old Cleveland County Council logo on the station entrance totem (which has sadly been removed).

Lockwood

The southern railway on the sign and the livery are not the same

Screenshot_2022-07-12-08-29-47-83_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

(A sign reads "SOUTHERN RAILWAY TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED", behind that is some flavour of 377 in Southern livery)

Dr_Paul

Established Member
The southern railway on the sign and the livery are not the same

View attachment 117532

(A sign reads "SOUTHERN RAILWAY TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED", behind that is some flavour of 377 in Southern livery)
There's a plate on the side of the up fast platform at New Malden that says: 'LSWR Passengers must cross the line by the subway'. That must be 100 years old, if not older.

I didn't look when I was last there a week or so back, but a couple of years back I noticed several BR-vintage posters on the wall of the stairway to platform 1 at Richmond. I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm there.

BruceTee

Used Richmond (Gt London) yesterday. Platform 1 exit/entry stairs contain many ads from what I assume is 1980's, like beware new trains with siding doors.

VideozVideoz

Just been on a class 166 from Yeovil PM (18:20) and it is still First Great Western branded. Logos and colour scheme have not been touched

marty56110

There's loads of FGW branding still about the Tarka Line (Exeter to Barnstaple), Portsmouth Arms (and also Filey in North Yorkshire) still has a Regional Railways branded information sign. Bere Alston and I think Calstock too retains Wessex Trains branding. There's a small number of stations in the North West which retain the Network North West branding Ansdell & Fairhaven spring to mind. One of the stations on the Darlington to Saltburn line had the old Cleveland County Council logo on the station entrance totem (which has sadly been removed).
That was Longbeck, the sign was removed about 4 years ago.
Castleton Moor on the Esk Valley still has a Regional Railways logo on a gate near the main road.

Recessio

There's one or two Southern Railway era signs in and on the approach to Lewes Station - not on platforms, mostly on the far side of the tracks, else I guess people would have nicked them. Not got any pictures unfortunately.

You can see the remnants of a Network SouthEast "Welcome to Clapham Junction" signs on the approach from the South, where the BML and SWML meet.

Jubilee line had all its route maps redone when the JLE opened in 1999 and many haven't been updated since. As such, some station signs and particularly most of the PEDs still refer to the East London Line and have the old DLR logo. Westminster and Green Park come to mind.

Lots of bridges have signs telling you to ring Railtrack on the number provided in the event of a bridge strike. I hope that when Network Rail took over they kept the same phone number!

jackot

This is a sign outside Reigate, seemingly from two different eras, with GWR + FGW.

Attachments

• E2734DD2-EA7C-4721-A146-588B1E2BB27A.jpeg
    E2734DD2-EA7C-4721-A146-588B1E2BB27A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176

Foxxle

Saw a couple of things earlier today at Watford Junction - whilst trying to catch a 319.

The Old logo on the Plaque at Watford Junction at the staircase on platforms 9 and 10

And not sure about the No smoking sign, is it an old one? Was in the waiting room...

Attachments

• 20220715_173141.jpg
    20220715_173141.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 181
  • 20220715_173606.jpg
    20220715_173606.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 181

Purple Train

Established Member
I suppose one could count the entirety of Colchester Town railway station when Colchester receives city status.
I've lost count of the amount of signs under bridges that I've seen that still say, "Please contact Railtrack."
Maidenhead still has some FGW signage, and probably several other GWR stations along there, though I can't think of any.
Speaking of Maidenhead, (at least some of) the FGW signs on the main line platforms have "Change for Marlow Branch" on them. However, the FGW sign on the Marlow branch platform (Platform 5) also has "Change for Marlow Branch" on it!

stj

Many of the benches on GWR station platforms have GWR castings(the original GWR).

thenorthern

Established Member
Ince and Elton I think still has the "trains to Hooton" sign even though the through trains ceased a long time ago.

MadMac

I’m not sure if there are any left, but across the Greater Glasgow network, some of the railway bridges near stations remained with a big gigantic orange Strathclyde Transport sign with the station name.

Example: View attachment 117369
Image shows the Strathclyde Transport sign at Partick station.
Someone just posted a picture of the one at Williamwood on FB. It’s still there.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I noticed at East Croydon the other night a sign which requested customers not to attempt to board any moving trains. Presumably from the days of slam door stock.

Railsigns

Established Member
There's no small number of redundant lineside signs at the side of the operational railway, such as radio channel indicators, signs marking the locations of long-gone catch points, and "AWB" signs (apply wagon brakes) for unfitted goods trains.

LowLevel

Established Member
One of the station name boards at Bere Alston (Tavistock end of platform) was still showing Wessex Trains branding in April when I last used the station.

I took this photo of it in September 2021

I think like several others I've seen it was covered over at one point with a cheap First Great Western sticker but has been peeled off.

I remember at Oakham station a contractor when East Midlands Trains had the signage redone about 10 years took their brief to take note of and replicate the existing signs too literally. An EMT corporate style sign appeared advising that the British Railways Board gave notice that some out of date bylaws applied to car parking. It might even still be there, it was attached to the back wall of the Leicester bound platform.

At least 1 EMR 170 has a Central Trains sticker in the cab.

158889 has South West Trains branded signage all over the cabs.

Alfreton has a Regional Railways free standing poster board and loads of EMR stations have the Regional Railways leaflet racks, including Loughborough and Long Eaton, with the branding still intact.

Codsall has a BR Western Region original enamel brown sign advising you to only cross the line by the footbridge (it was there before the pub conversion and faux old fashioned signage appeared).

Rauceby signalbox has a Regional Railways sign on the elevation that faces away from the crossing.

Harling Road has a Regional Railways running in board.

An EMR 158 has a Regional Railways Alphaline poster from about 1994 from the fleet engineer at Crown Point regarding resetting the air conditioning.

One of the ex Wales and Borders 158s at EMR has "Don't forget Oakengates!" drawn in biro on the driver's sun blind.

There's plenty about if you look, mostly in obscure places that have been missed but also some surprisingly obvious ones!

noddingdonkey

Slaithwaite has "this side for Marsden and Manchester Victoria other side for Huddersfield and Wakefield" signs despite the fact that services are to Manchester Piccadilly now and the Wakefield service was split off years ago.

Until very recently Slaithwaite also had a sign for pedestrians showing the route to the station, with the old Metro logo. Seems to have been replaced now but there's still one in Sowerby Bridge (link to Google Maps Streetview showing the aforementioend sign)

AY1975

Established Member
There's this one at the western end of Carlisle's footbridge:

View attachment 117482
(Many trains stop here for one minute or even less. Please do not enter any carriage unless you are intending to travel. Please help us to keep trains on time by closing doors when you have left the train.)
Well I suppose at least the first of those two instructions could still be relevant today!

Alfreton has a Regional Railways free standing poster board.
And until a few years ago Alfreton still had a BR era sign by the ticket office saying for wheelchair access please ask staff. That sign was still there even after the barrow crossing was taken out of use because it was found to be unsafe.

This now locked thread on obsolete signage from 2018 may also be of interest: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trivia-obsolete-signage-at-stations.159500/

dedomenici

Can anyone date this poster at Euston?

Attachments

• F13D773F-C9C3-4B6F-A34B-27E93BA69B49.jpeg
    F13D773F-C9C3-4B6F-A34B-27E93BA69B49.jpeg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 208

nlogax

Established Member
Can anyone date this poster at Euston?
Liverpool first got its freeport in 1984 so mid-late 80s for that one.

Still there this morning, near the gents on platform 1. Years ago there was an old Capitalcard poster, on the stairs perhaps?

Good to know it's still there, I'll take a look next week. Would love to see the Capitalcard poster if it ever emerges. I know there was one at Richmond which got a lot of attention amongst a small goldmine of historic posters there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.