• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway station hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobby ludd

The hotels situated at Glasgow Central, Newcastle, and York stations have an entrance/exit that leads directly onto the station. At which other hotels can one do this ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the Queens Hotel at Leeds station has a physical connection with the Western (1920s) concourse, but it is only in use as a fire exit I think.

BurtonM

The Radisson at Manchester Airport is accessible from the same link bridge system as the railway station, does that count?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I believe when first built there was a direct entrance from the Crewe Arms Hotel directly onto the station, although possibly intended only for use by royalty and other special guests.

Murph

Edinburgh Caledonian Hotel / Edinburgh Princes Street Station, back in the black and white era. St Pancras similarly.

Did the North British Hotel originally have an entrance inside Waverley?

Murph

I did some reading, and it seems there was a direct entrance to the hotel from Waverley. There was a lift down into the basement from the booking hall, tunnel/basement across (under the northern through tracks) to a reception desk in the basement of the hotel, then lift up to ground level and rooms. Presumably mostly lost in the mists of time, and certainly no longer public access.

lobby ludd

Yes.....as I said in my first post. When working in York and commuting by train, I used it, as a useful short-cut....from the platform through the hotel, exciting out of the main entrance.

thenorthern

Established Member
At Beeston the Victoria Hotel used to have a gate onto the platform which apparently they paid 50p per year rent for, not sure how true that is.

Murph

Just had a thought, you might want to look at the list of all of the British Transport Commission / British Rail hotels. Many already mentioned here, but probably a few more that may be of interest.

British Transport Hotels

Last edited:

JamesP

The Hallmark in Carlisle doesn't have a direct entrance to the station but it's literally no more than about 30 seconds walk.

mark-h

I have seen laundry deliveries to the Balmoral (NB) hotel from the main concourse at Waverley.

This was in the mid 2000s (I no longer pass through Waverley in the late evenings so I don't know if it still happens).

mirodo

I think the Queens Hotel at Leeds station has a physical connection with the Western (1920s) concourse, but it is only in use as a fire exit I think.

It's a regular entrance

o2327-0016131.jpg

simonw

Keswick did until the station closed and now parts of the station are incorporated into the hotel.

Charring Cross

Whistler40145

Established Member
No, there's a hotel I think is built onto the station but not sure it has access to the concourse or platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.