• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Relics of the past still visible today at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan Carroll

A thread for reminders of railway history that linger on in modern stations.

To start things of both the 1996 Strathclyde Passenger Transport logo and the 1995 Scotrail logo are visible at Anderston and Argyle Street respectively on the underground section of the argyle line.

27C068B7-C464-4CB5-B781-2BEFAF463352.jpegD22E9663-5C9F-424B-AFA8-3B3C2D92C850.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Are the stairs down to the old LT&S station still visible on Romford platform 1?

bramling

Veteran Member

To start things of both the 1996 Strathclyde Passenger Transport logo and the 1995 Scotrail logo are visible at Anderston and Argyle Street respectively on the underground section of the argyle line.

View attachment 85680View attachment 85681

There was a GWR-stamped drain cover at one of the stations west of Carmarthen, I forget which one. May be still there. Also a few of these at the Tregenna Castle Hotel in St Ives, which used to be GWR owned.

delt1c

Established Member
There used to be some benches on the Eastern End of the central Line with GER on them , also I believe station canopies.

xotGD

Established Member
Some of the relics from the past are still alive and well and still spotting and bashing!

More on topic, doesn't the water tank at Newcastle have an 'NER' sign on it?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There must be loads of stations where old out of use signal boxes are still visible e.g. Newton.

Also things like water towers?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this sign still in place at Doncaster station?

0YsKA_U7v4oS249Ml4-iveaLRD42-dFUuxTkPDoADiI.jpg

"Load limited to
One loaded Brute."

peteb

Stourbridge Junction still had a few ex GWR pattern benches last time I was there, probably fairer to say the GWR metal ends as those timber planks only last a few years. There are probably several other Worcestershire stations that have these too.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

View attachment 85680View attachment 85681

The yellow panelling is a relic of it's own. I'm sure thats the same panelling from when the line reopened in 1979.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Network NorthWest branding still survives in various places.

In light rail, last time I checked the security office at Manchester Metrolink Ladywell Park & Ride still had the old Aquamarine colouring (as opposed to the current Yellow)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Network NorthWest branding still survives in various places.

In light rail, last time I checked the security office at Manchester Metrolink Ladywell Park & Ride still had the old Aquamarine colouring (as opposed to the current Yellow)

Preston is absolutely caked in it.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Stourbridge Junction still had a few ex GWR pattern benches last time I was there, probably fairer to say the GWR metal ends as those timber planks only last a few years. There are probably several other Worcestershire stations that have these too.
There are several different styles of these at Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-super-Mare.

Western 52

The subway at Cardiff Central still has tiled signs to platform 5. That platform was removed a good 50 years ago I think.

LowLevel

Established Member
Plenty of stations have retained pre-nationalisation (pre-1948) running in boards in the Eastern part of the country. Little places like Ancaster, Rauceby, Heckington etc.

Nottingham station was listed while in Regional Railways' paint scheme and that is the colour it has retained ever since, having been repainted several times without ever going into Central Trains or EMT corporate colours.

The bay platform at Stoke has signage indicating where mail bags should be piled up for loading for various destinations.

RichJF

Go to Redhill. You've got an entire parcels platform & disused mail conveyor system behind Platform 3 plus a disused Royal Mail overbridge across the tracks!

Bishopstone

Established Member
Read about the new Inter City 125 via poster display at Bishopstone.

Attachments

• 2428DBFB-E640-4AFE-A576-A0C520F8986E.jpeg
    2428DBFB-E640-4AFE-A576-A0C520F8986E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86

StKeverne1497

They may not be original, I work at a museum and when we had a railway-themed temporary exhibition a few years ago we obtained reproduction benches (new castings) from somewhere. Not sure if this is the company, but it might well be: GWR Benches. They proved so popular that we've kept them for additional ad-hoc seating.

Taunton

Established Member
Are there any stations in the former Network SouthEast area that still have the logo?
NSE put up a sign, with their logo, for Battersea Dogs Home, on their bridge over Battersea Park Road alongside the building. It, and its logo, are still there (although spoiled by graffiti taggers). Makes me smile when I pass. Was Chris Green a dog lover?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
There are still a lot of GWR seats around its former area of both types,script and roundel plus some of the rarer BR(W) versions. The current GWR has also been installing replicas here and there. You can tell the difference if you know what you're looking for. Same as manhole covers etc,plenty origionals around still.
Hasn't one of the buildings in the concourse at Marylebone still heavily branded with NSE?

Devonian

Loads of GWR platform benches, and a few BR(W) benches, across the Great Western network. Totnes (and I suspect others) also retains its GWR double-sided wooden waiting room bench (now on the platform), built-in weighing scale, trolleys that may well be ex-GWR, and an original GWR running in board, plus a fragment of BR signage. Though my favourite reminder of history at that station is the extra tall door to the Gents, supposedly (but probably apocryphally) to allow Victorian men to enter without removing their top hats...

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Are there any stations in the former Network SouthEast area that still have the logo?
Northfleet up platform has a NSE sticker on the monitor post.

Old 'Do not Alight this side' or something like that on the fence at p1 at Dartford, think also p4 at Sevenoaks from slam door days.

billio

Quite a few stations still have maps of the original company's railway network - Victoria (L&Y) and plenty of ex-NER stations; York, Scarborough etc..
All the later have to have notices explaining the map does not show the current network !

WesternLancer

Established Member
Quite a few stations still have maps of the original company's railway network - Victoria (L&Y) and plenty of ex-NER stations; York, Scarborough etc..
All the later have to have notices explaining the map does not show the current network !
Good point - as well as a map at the other Victoria (LB&SCR) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.