• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Relics of the past still visible today at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
There used to be some benches on the Eastern End of the central Line with GER on them , also I believe station canopies.

There are some GWR benches at Hammersmith (H&C) station on the Underground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Not at a railway station, but at a former railway hotel.
The Great Central Railway's London hotel was across from Marylebone and was once the BRB HQ offices in London and has some interesting stained glass windows on the staircases - the coats of arms of towns and cities formerly served by the main line.G.C. R. Marylebone.jpg
I recently asked the concierge if I could have a look inside on the basis I used to work there, and I was made welcome - even had the doors opened for me. The windows are all still there, including the one with the Great central Railway's own crest. This can be seen from outside, if you know where to look.

Quite a few stations still have maps of the original company's railway network - Victoria (L&Y) and plenty of ex-NER stations; York, Scarborough etc..
All the later have to have notices explaining the map does not show the current network !
In the case of the York one, at least, the notice itself probably qualifies as a relic of the past by now: "Details of present-day services on British Rail Inter-City, Paytrain and Suburban routes may be obtained from the Information office." - see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_Eastern_Railway_map_circa_1900.JPG for instance.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
There's a LSWR cast metal sign instructing passengers not to cross the line on the side of the disused up fast platform at New Malden. It's visible from the up slow platform, and from trains using the up slow line. Presumably there would have been a staff crossing there at one time.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Totnes (and I suspect others) also retains its GWR double-sided wooden waiting room bench (now on the platform
Those wooden double sided waiting room seats came from the platform 1 waiting room at Exeter SD. They were redundant when it was converted into the Duty Managers office.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I don't think it is still there, if that's the one on platform 1, where there was a movable bridge from the main station building across the line to platform 1.
That was the location. (Actually on a railway building directly opposite platform 1). Spotted whilst waiting for a Southbound service from Doncaster a few years ago.

ashkeba

Established Member
Are there any stations in the former Network SouthEast area that still have the logo?
Probably Downham Market but probably replaced when the station was painted back into NSE a few years ago as a heritage project.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
There's a LSWR cast metal sign instructing passengers not to cross the line on the side of the disused up fast platform at New Malden. It's visible from the up slow platform, and from trains using the up slow line. Presumably there would have been a staff crossing there at one time.
There is also one at track level attached to the down platform at Farnham, facing the station building.

The below-ground stations on the Northern City line were the last to retain them, but I think they've gone now
I believe Essex Road still has NSE signage on the track side, but yes most of the other station signage has been replaced, but only within the last couple of years I think! Was only a few years ago I travelled along there admiring route maps and all sorts thinking I was in some kind of time warp!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Quite a few stations still have maps of the original company's railway network - Victoria (L&Y) and plenty of ex-NER stations; York, Scarborough etc..
All the later have to have notices explaining the map does not show the current network !
Much more recent, but still historical, the in-carriage maps on SWR's 455s still advertise that Waterloo is where you catch Eurostar trains from.

Also on the NSE front, Waterloo (and I think Bank) still have the NSE 'flashes' on the platform edges.

Logan Carroll

Alexandria (West Dunbartonshire) still had Strathclyde Transport signage/branding in certain places up until the back half of 2017, most notably on the north (Balloch)-bound bridge. This was removed during a series of repair/renewal works. Link here: https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article11033601.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Untitled.jpg
Williamwood still has one of the Strathclyde Transport bridge signs.

37 Years since the introduction of Orange & Black
24 Years since Strathclyde Transport became SPT
12 Years since Saltire ousted SPT (and 15 years since SPT had anything to do with the railways)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Several WCML stations still have original Blue, Gold and Orange Zone signs from the InterCity era. Some of these remain "in use" nowadays by the manual announcers, to refer to where first and standard class can be found.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Williamwood still has one of the Strathclyde Transport bridge signs.

37 Years since the introduction of Orange & Black
24 Years since Strathclyde Transport became SPT
12 Years since Saltire ousted SPT (and 15 years since SPT had anything to do with the railways)
No way has it been 12 years since the Saltire brand came into use?!

Devonian

One of the more unusual reminders of the past must surely be the Paddington band: I presume it's the only one to survive from days of yore.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There's a Networker (sorry can't remember the unit number) which has a bleached out NSE logo on the front.

pdeaves

Established Member

365 Networker

There is an NSE sign on platform 3 at Huntingdon, it only became visible a few years ago when the FCC era sign fell of, although the NSE flashes have been covered with some white tape.

Attachments

• HUNTINGDON_NSE.png
    HUNTINGDON_NSE.png
    3 MB · Views: 40

greyman42

Established Member
York still has one of those machines that you put a coin in to weigh yourself. I don't know how common these are.

Logan Carroll

There is an NSE sign on platform 3 at Huntingdon, it only became visible a few years ago when the FCC era sign fell of, although the NSE flashes have been covered with some white tape.
This is quite common

At Argyle Street theres still some saftey notices from the First Scotrail era with the First logo lazily taped over.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

Merton Park tram stop still has NSE lamposts and BR style concrete fence posts.

The end of the carriage sidings at Clapham Junction leading towards Wandsworth Town still has trackside signs comprising of an upside down triangle with 'TMST' on top. Another sign further along simply says TMST.

bill1953

On Lime Street Station concourse Liverpool and roughly under the clock is (or was ) a stone carving of Britannia. I first saw it in 1975 when we were searching for possible terrorist bombs behind the advertising hoardings which were in place then. It had probably been sealed up for decades even then. I thought it may have been found and brought back to life in the revamp of the concourse but sadly not.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
New Beckenham Station has pre grouping drain access covers. I suspect quite a few stations have these if you look down!

BigB

Late 2008 but SPT held onto stations and trains until 2014.

(and unbranded carmine didn’t get ousted until 2019!)
170434 was the first unit in the new Spot-Rail livery in September 2008 - hard to believe even though I live next to the E&G!
Far better than changing with new franchises, though the odd First Group signs still appear every so often, though I'm struggling to remember the last one I saw...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
170434 was the first unit in the new Spot-Rail livery in September 2008 - hard to believe even though I live next to the E&G!
Far better than changing with new franchises, though the odd First Group signs still appear every so often, though I'm struggling to remember the last one I saw...

434 looked a terrible state once they actually started refurbishing the 170s into the full Saltire scheme. In this case, what would have been the first station to get Saltire? I believe Queen's Park and Mount Florida both got the scheme very early on. Same with Partick.

One thing I do remember was in about 2010, when 334006 was running around in a very strange colour scheme. One end had the saltire basecoat and new numbering on the cab end, with a debranded and and nearly fully stripped SPT side. When one end had the complete SPT side with an SPT end.

I think 334012 also got the same treatment, it looked pretty shabby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.