• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Relics of the past still visible today at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jona26

The destinations served (including continental destinations) carved into the stonework on the entrance lodges at Euston and the same at Blackfriars (although those at Blackfriars have been relocated from their original position).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Logan Carroll

At Blantyre a dent in the ScotRail ticket office signboard has revealed a bit of the orange of the old Strathclyde branding

This was famously the last station to have this maintaining it up until 2013.

Veteran Member
The South Eastern Railway built shed loads (pardon the pun) of wooden station buildings all over Kent. Unfortunately, as well as having an historical tendancy to burn down (Staplehurst, Ore), NSE also rebuilt a fair few in the 1990's (Marden, Headcorn).

Happily there are a couple of survivors - Bexley on the Dartford loop, and Pluckley on the SE main line and West St Leonards are still with us.

In terms of wooden shelters, Ham Street and Rye have nice ones.
Thanks for that, I meant to do a trawl but didn't get around to it...

ajrm

An InterCity 125 Coach A board survives on platform 4 at Dundee, having escaped removal during the recent refurbishment:

The southbound platform received LNER branded coach letter boards, but the northbound didn't.

mjmason1996

Don't know if it's been brought up yet, but from memory, the cast iron roof fittings in Newcastle station are still painted in GNER Navy/Orange.

vlad

The destinations served (including continental destinations) carved into the stonework on the entrance lodges at Euston and the same at Blackfriars (although those at Blackfriars have been relocated from their original position).

That reminds me of the destinations on the canopy overlooking Victoria Station Approach in Manchester. Although there are still regular trains from Victoria to places like Bradford, Bury and Liverpool, you can't get to Fleetwood or Belgium any more.

Logan Carroll

Throughout Glasgow the paint on the station lampposts is peeling revealing either the SPT Carmine & Cream colour scheme or the ScotRail 1994 shadow franchise colour scheme

Last edited:

bill1953

That rings a bell, don’t suppose anyone can find any photos?
I have looked at old photos of the concourse but not found anything. It was obviously designed to be seen by anyone on the concourse before someone else had the idea to cover it with advertising hoarding. It had clearly been hidden for decades when I saw it in 1975 and even quite ancient photos of the concourse do not reveal it. I would think the best plan would be to locate original drawings showing the concourse offices etc as I think it is definitely an original feature which for some reason fell out of favour. If anyone knows how to locate copies of the drawings on line that would be interesting. I just found this old picture which shows something blurry at more or less the spot I remember seeing it although that was behind hordings by 1975.

Attachments

• a1d327f1f5b0af84fde05872055501dd.jpg
    a1d327f1f5b0af84fde05872055501dd.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I know it's not strictly the same thing, but the western plinth of the southern side of Blackfriars Bridge bears a very large London Chatham and Dover Railway coat of arms. I have a feeling that it used to be in the old station and that there was another one on the eastern side, but there's no trace of it now.

A note on historic GWR benches at various stations - I wouldn't assume that all of these are original (especially the shirt-button logo varieties).

A colleague of mine was asked to restore one for the modern-day GWR and it was determined to be a replica (after comparisons of casting marks and design features with various known-original examples). It wouldn't surprise me if a number of these were purchased after privatisation in the increasingly strong rebranding back to GWR.

MP33

I never looked myself. But it was claimed that if you walked along the road south from Blackfriars Bridge you came to a railway bridge. The brickwork is different in one place where an entrance to a closed railway station was bricked up. The station was one that was an early closure due to tram and omnibus competition.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I never looked myself. But it was claimed that if you walked along the road south from Blackfriars Bridge you came to a railway bridge. The brickwork is different in one place where an entrance to a closed railway station was bricked up. The station was one that was an early closure due to tram and omnibus competition.
I think that would possibly be Blackfriars (SER) on the Charing Cross route - not to be confused with the former Blackfriars Bridge which was just on the south side of the river on what is now the Thameslink route. I suspect it closed because Waterloo Junction (now Waterloo East) replaced it, long before trams and buses were involved...

wiki has a photo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfriars_(SER)_railway_station

Logan Carroll

From Google Street View you can see that Bearsden had an CCTV notice with the original 1996 SPT logo up until 2017.

WesternLancer

Established Member
There are still enamel maroon numbering posts on WCML electrification catenary gantries I have seen at stations. I assume these are 1960s enamel BR signs in the regional sign colour scheme for the LMR. Are there still lots of these / long stretches of them?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The photo shows the rear (platform side) of the main building at Chester station, and is taken from the present Down platform. The two through lines nearest the building were removed comparatively recently, but the reference to 'Second Class' must date back to before the abolition of 2nd more than a hundred years ago. There is I think a FIRST CLASS REFRESHMENT ROOM sign to the left. Interesting days...

Chester.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
From Google Street View you can see that Bearsden had an CCTV notice with the original 1996 SPT logo up until 2017.

I'd be cautious about relying on the dates on Google Streetview and Maps; there are images on it dated 2020 showing the car I scrapped in May 2018... I think they may be upload dates rather than the dates the images were actually obtained.

Logan Carroll

I'd be cautious about relying on the dates on Google Streetview and Maps; there are images on it dated 2020 showing the car I scrapped in May 2018... I think they may be upload dates rather than the dates the images were actually obtained.
The station is fully saltired so it is still very strange.

route101

Established Member
There is a GNER branded sign at Edinburgh Waverley, just outside the first class lounge.

WesternLancer

Established Member
A post on another thread reminds me that I think Manchester Oxford Road still has some of it's station lamps covered in shades with the station name in LMR maroon. These must be original. Unsure if they are covered by the listed status of the station or not. Apols - can't locate a picture. These would be the strip lamp type lights under these shades I guess.

bill1953

The station is fully saltired so it is still very strange.
There are two dates on Google images from Streetview. Capture when it was actually taken followed by Copyright which will continually update to the most recent year. the capture date is never updated or changed once published.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.