• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Routes that don't stop at any stations in a county they pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Not sure if it counts as it's partly outside the UK:

Non-stop Eurostars to Paris: Kent and a good many French departments.

The Lyon and Marseille Eurostar if that ever runs again - even more.

I think one should count Rutland as it's a classic county. Not so sure about modern unitary authorities though. I always tend to think of the ceremonial counties as the definitive list, which includes Rutland but not the more artificial modern ones.

Partly a generational thing I think. I never had a problem with Avon for instance as I never remember it not existing and actually seemed a logical county for the Bristol area.
Avon was unpopular with almost everyone. I remember my old Maths teacher led the 'Back to Somerset' campaign.

However the logic is inescapable and we now have the West of England Combined Authority

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Very true! For some subconscious reason, I was thinking that Newark and Retford were in Lincolnshire, even though I know damn well that they are in Nottinghamshire really. Must have been late in the evening. Thanks for the correction.

Maybe because that part of the ECML faces east, across flat open country, towards Lincoln, but the Nottingham area is out of view, behind low hills (Sherwood Forest?) to the west. So you'd think, by default, they were in Lincs.

(Disclaimer - last used ECML in 1993 so apologies if my memory's a little inaccurate)

Julia

Leicester-Peterborough trains pass through two thin slivers of Northants between the A1 neat Stamford, and the bridge over the Welland near Ketton. The boundaries between Helpston and Ketton are a mess, trains cross Rutland/Northants/Lincs/Cambs boundaries around 15 times in that stretch, depending whether they're heading up/down and just how accurate OpenStreetMap is:

1629054980851.png

southern442

Established Member
All Southern/Thameslink services that run non-stop between East Croydon and Gatwick pass through Surrey without stopping (accepting that Croydon was part of Surrey once upon a time). GatEx also does likewise.
The old Southern fasts that were non-stop from East Croydon to Brighton also passed through West Sussex without stopping (unless there was disruption of course!)

HUY2ROB

Has the WCML between Winwick and Golborne junctions been mentioned? Mostly in Merseyside if that is a county.

xotGD

Established Member
Isn't it about time this thread descended into a debate over what constitutes a county, and which sets of boundaries should be used?
Reassuring to see that we got there in the end. :D

RH Liner

Maybe because that part of the ECML faces east, across flat open country, towards Lincoln, but the Nottingham area is out of view, behind low hills (Sherwood Forest?) to the west. So you'd think, by default, they were in Lincs.

(Disclaimer - last used ECML in 1993 so apologies if my memory's a little inaccurate)
Plus most of the local bus services in Newark and Retford were traditionally operated by Lincolnshire Road Car.

Mak1981

Avanti and TPE both travel through South Lanarkshire and West Lothian when serving Edinburgh and South Lanarkshire when serving Glasgow, also when omitting Motherwell they also travel through North Lanarkshire

LNER and CrossCountry also travel through South Lanarkshire and West Lothian when starting at glasgow

Killingworth

Established Member
The Sheffield Supertram route to Halfway very briefly crosses into Derbyshire between White Lane and Birley Lane stops.

Killingworth

Established Member
I am aware that both Killamarsh and Halfway are next door to each other, with Killamarsh being in Derbyshire.

Was Halfway in Derbyshire at one time, or am I confusing myself with Tintwistle?
Yes it was until 1967. Sheffield has gobbled up quite large swathes of Derbyshire and had (has?) designs on quite a lot more!

johnnychips

Established Member
I am aware that both Killamarsh and Halfway are next door to each other, with Killamarsh being in Derbyshire.

Was Halfway in Derbyshire at one time, or am I confusing myself with Tintwistle?
Tintwistle was in Cheshire but is now Derbyshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.