• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Routes that don't stop at any stations in a county they pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
Any train from Manchester to Liverpool via Newton le Willows briefly passes through Cheshire (at Glazebury) without stopping.
If it's an EMR Norwich-Liverpool it also passes through Disley in Cheshire without stopping. Most pass through Derbyshire without stopping too, except early and late trains that stop at them all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
The East Coast Main Line passes through Borders Region in South East Scotland without any trains stopping....although that may change when the new station at Reston opens next year (if any TOCs can be persuaded to stop there!).

Plenty stop at Newark.
Very true! For some subconscious reason, I was thinking that Newark and Retford were in Lincolnshire, even though I know damn well that they are in Nottinghamshire really. Must have been late in the evening. Thanks for the correction.

xotGD

Established Member
Isn't it about time this thread descended into a debate over what constitutes a county, and which sets of boundaries should be used?

Anyway, if you consider Tyne & Wear as a county, when the sleepers are diverted they do not make a passenger call here. (As well as every other county between Greater London and their first passenger calls in Scotland.)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Doncaster to Gainsborough services pass through the Northern tip of Nottinghamshire, although there are (now) no stations en route.

Stephen1001

Not as many as you'd think - most Paddington - Penzance services only pass through Wiltshire without stopping now that Taunton has a consistent hourly service. The Berks & Hants line has never actually passed through Hampshire.

Paddington - Bristol fasts will have Wiltshire and Berkshire if they ever get reinstated, although Bristol Parkway is in (South) Gloucestershire.

I think Euston - Glasgow services with first stop Warrington would pass through Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Staffordshire without stopping.
These also pass through Buckinghamshire without calling - twice, at Iver and Taplow. The bit in between (including Slough which does get the odd long-distance call) used to be in Bucks but is no longer.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Any non-stop Glasgow-Stirling train (almost all the Inverness, Aberdeen or Dundee services) pass through East Dumbartonshire, North Lanarkshire and Falkirk local authorities without a stop. the 1639 to Aberdeen from Queen Street doesn't even stop in Stirlingshire

Using the pre-1975 Regional/District Councils, Glasgow (Lanarkshire), Bishopbriggs and Lenzie (Dunbartonshire), and Croy (Stirlingshire).

Croy has a G65 postcode, which is Kilsyth. Kilsyth was part of Stirlingshire before 1975, before it left when the creation of Strathclyde Regional Council and Cumbernauld and Kilsyth District Council happened. Cumbernauld (G67/68 postcode) was previously in Dunbartonshire.

Both Kilsyth and Cumbernauld became part of North Lanarkshire Council in 1996 when the Regional and District Councils were abolished. Neither Kilsyth or Cumbernauld looks like, feels like, or sees like they are part of Lanarkshire. The North Lanarkshire headquarters in Motherwell are happy to collect the council tax payments, but give little in return such as recently removing recycling bins from flats, closing down autism centres, not trimming vegetation or mowing lawns so often, etc. I know a couple of people locally who have mentioned that it would be far better to bring back the former Cumbernauld Development Corporation, as the people who ran it knew exactly what they were doing.

Glenn1969

Established Member
These also pass through Buckinghamshire without calling - twice, at Iver and Taplow. The bit in between (including Slough which does get the odd long-distance call) used to be in Bucks but is no longer.
I presume LNER pass through Bedfordshire without calling

jopsuk

Veteran Member
on weekdays, no services between Ely and Norwich stop in Suffolk

RH Liner

If it's an EMR Norwich-Liverpool it also passes through Disley in Cheshire without stopping. Most pass through Derbyshire without stopping too, except early and late trains that stop at them all.
These stop at Chesterfield and Alfreton in Derbyshire.

johnnychips

Established Member
Doncaster to Gainsborough services pass through the Northern tip of Nottinghamshire, although there are (now) no stations en route.
Do you know I was just thinking about posting this, so I’m glad I read the thread properly. It seems a strange historical extension of the county boundary beyond Misson that nobody has thought about correcting as it affects so few houses and farms. I am not sure if there was a station in the Nottingham bit at any time (Park Drain?), and I think the old Finningley station was just about in Yorkshire.

I always wondered why Disley (Post#31) was kept in Cheshire when the boundaries altered in 1974. It naturally lies on the A6 between New Mills in Derbyshire and Hazel Grove in Stockport.

Had the old boundaries been kept for Cheshire, the Woodhead route‘s final passenger services would have run through Cheshire without stopping, the station at Woodhead having been closed long before, and they did not stop at Newton, Godley or Broadbottom.

RH Liner

Do you know I was just thinking about posting this, so I’m glad I read the thread properly. It seems a strange historical extension of the county boundary beyond Misson that nobody has thought about correcting as it affects so few houses and farms. I am not sure if there was a station in the Nottingham bit at any time (Park Drain?), and I think the old Finningley station was just about in Yorkshire.

I always wondered why Disley (Post#31) was kept in Cheshire when the boundaries altered in 1974. It naturally lies on the A6 between New Mills in Derbyshire and Hazel Grove in Stockport.

Had the old boundaries been kept for Cheshire, the Woodhead route‘s final passenger services would have run through Cheshire without stopping, the station at Woodhead having been closed long before, and they did not stop at Newton, Godley or Broad-bottom

Misterton and Beckingham are in Nottinghamshire and also had stations on the Doncaster-Gainsborough line. Finningley is also in Notts but its station was a few yards over the Yorkshire border in Blaxton.

Class 170101

Established Member
Norwich in 90 should it return doesn't call at any station in Essex. 1st stop Ipswich.

Roger1973

Southeastern services that run from London via the Sidcup line then stay in service round the Crayford spur to either Barnehurst or Slade Green (or vice versa) cross the current (post-1965 administrative if not postal) boundary between Greater London (Bexley Borough) and Kent (Dartford Borough) and back again.

hilly

services between Cardiff and Bridgend pass through the Vale of Glamorgan between the a4232 bridge after St Fagans LC and the M4 bridge just after mission loops - no stations on that stretch.

nw1

Established Member
Not sure if it counts as it's partly outside the UK:

Non-stop Eurostars to Paris: Kent and a good many French departments.

The Lyon and Marseille Eurostar if that ever runs again - even more.

Rutland? Though of course these pesky unitary authorities don’t help definitions :D

I think one should count Rutland as it's a classic county. Not so sure about modern unitary authorities though. I always tend to think of the ceremonial counties as the definitive list, which includes Rutland but not the more artificial modern ones.

Partly a generational thing I think. I never had a problem with Avon for instance as I never remember it not existing and actually seemed a logical county for the Bristol area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.