• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Semi exclaves - Gaps in a TOC’s coverage where the quickest route is via another TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Following on from the enclaves/ exclaves thread, I was wondering how many semi-exclaves there are on the national network. By that I mean significant gaps in the coverage of a TOC where to get between two stations only using that TOC’s services would involve a very long detour, while at the same time, there are other TOCs that provide a much faster service between the two.

For instance, there is a gap in Northern coverage between Darlington and York. If you were to travel between those stations entirely on Northern trains, you would have to go the long way round via Carlisle, and you’d be silly to do so unless travelling for leisure purposes. Most people would just take a direct train between the two stations on a LNER, XC or TPE train.

Are there any similar “noticeable” gaps in TOCs coverage within the UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Preston - Carlisle: Northern only would be 4+ hours on a noisy, bumpy 156 via Whitehaven, Barrow, Carnforth and Lancaster, with no coverage from Lancaster - Penrith by Northern (but they do serve Oxenholme)

Would be just over 1 hour on a 390

py_megapixel

Established Member
From Cheltenham, you can travel in pretty much any direction using CrossCountry trains. But if you want to go to Reading on CrossCountry it's several hours via Birmingham and Oxford, which makes it far more practical to use GWR.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I know GC are an OAO rather than TOC, but some people could run the thirty mile distance from Doncaster to York faster than taking GC trains (via KX)

At least Doncaster - York is *only* three hours on TPE (via Manchester)

PTR 444

Established Member
I know GC are an OAO rather than TOC, but some people could run the thirty mile distance from Doncaster to York faster than taking GC trains (via KX)

At least Doncaster - York is *only* three hours on TPE (via Manchester)
And only 20 minutes on LNER!

CBlue

Greater Anglia have a gap between Cambridge/Ely and Peterborough. If you were to use GA services exclusively you'd have to travel via Bury St Edmunds rather than the direct XC and EMR services

tbtc

Veteran Member
And only 20 minutes on LNER!

I certainly can't run that fast!

I suppose Northern from Derby to Stoke must be worth a shout (via Sheffield and Manchester, rather than EMR via Uttoxeter) and GWR from Gatwick to Brighton (via Reading and Salisbury)

mlambeuk

York to Scarborough with Northern is Nearly 3 hours changing at Hull (although Northern were due to start a York to Scarborough direct service). Whereas only 45 minutes by TPE .

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Southeastern between Ashford and Hastings - need to travel via Tonbridge.

Greater Anglia have a gap between Cambridge/Ely and Peterborough. If you were to use GA services exclusively you'd have to travel via Bury St Edmunds rather than the direct XC and EMR services

No, there are direct services:

Stansted-Cambridge-Ely-Norwich and
Ipswich-Bury-Ely-Peterborough

xotGD

Established Member
Cross Country from Glasgow to Manchester is a bit of a roundabout route. Via Brum.

CBlue

Southeastern between Ashford and Hastings - need to travel via Tonbridge.

No, there are direct services:

Stansted-Cambridge-Ely-Norwich and
Ipswich-Bury-Ely-Peterborough

Strange. Fairly sure the timetable I looked at for Ipswich to Peterborough services didn't include a call at Ely.... still, they don't offer a through service unlike the other operators :)

xotGD

Established Member
Caledonian Sleeper from Inverness to Aberdeen via Preston.

mrcheek

Established Member
Weymouth to Southampton is a nice straight journey by SWR.

a bit of a detour if you choose to go via GWR

nr758123

For instance, there is a gap in Northern coverage between Darlington and York. If you were to travel between those stations entirely on Northern trains, you would have to go the long way round via Carlisle, and you’d be silly to do so unless travelling for leisure purposes. Most people would just take a direct train between the two stations on a LNER, XC or TPE train.

I’ve done Brighouse to Sunderland via the Settle & Carlisle, a journey inspired by my determination to get my money’s worth out of a delay voucher from Northern.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If I'm understanding the topic correctly, Huddersfield to Leeds on Northern would qualify. Direct service only on Sunday (pre-Covid) via Bradford. All other times require a change at one of Bradford, Brighouse, Mirfield, Wakefield Kirkgate or Castleford. Faster direct journeys via Dewsbury are all TPE.

PeterC

Established Member
London Overground have a totally detached service between Romford and Upminster.

DB

If I'm understanding the topic correctly, Huddersfield to Leeds on Northern would qualify. Direct service only on Sunday (pre-Covid) via Bradford. All other times require a change at one of Bradford, Brighouse, Mirfield, Wakefield Kirkgate or Castleford. Faster direct journeys via Dewsbury are all TPE.

The stopper on that route was Northern until a few years ago. Never did see the logic in moving it to TPE, given that most of their services are limited-stop.

ABB125

Established Member
Penzance to Bournemouth on CrossCountry (via Birmingham). Similarly Manchester to Edinburgh, Stansted to Reading.
Hereford to Shrewsbury on West Midlands, and Hereford to Crewe (and Shrewsbury to Crewe!).
Bending the rules slightly, Fort William to Inverness on ScotRail. Much quicker to get the bus!

NoMorePacers

Established Member
On Northern's network, definitely York to Darlington. Half an hour on the direct services, using Northern it's about 6 hours (going via Leeds, Carlisle, Newcastle and Hartlepool).

NSE

Established Member
I've always thought it, not weird, but just interesting, that Intercity TOC's that run in 'straight lines' from London frequently won't connect between their key destinations. For example, Avanti have Birmingham and Liverpool has key cities, but you can't go direct between (I think?). Birmingham/Manchester is another that can only be done during the peaks. On the ECML, Leeds to Edinburgh/Newcastle for example, is it just the one Aberdeen that they have? Considering they are often they 'flagship' TOC so to speak, I always found that, yeah, interesting haha

Parallel

Established Member
Brighton to Gatwick Airport on GWR. Via Southampton, Westbury, Newbury and Reading.

Obviously much quicker to go with GTR.

Exeter to Bristol with SWR via Salisbury. Usually much quicker with either GWR or XC direct.

xotGD

Established Member
Hull to Scarborough on TPE via Leeds.

Back to the Caledonian Sleeper, any two stations between Edinburgh and Aberdeen requires a trip to Preston and back. Do they call at Watford Junction? If so then to get from there to Euston you'd have to go via Edinburgh or Glasgow.

London Trains

Tonbridge to Ashford on Southern (would have to travel Tonbridge - Redhill - Gatwick - Eastbourne - Ashford)

_toommm_

Established Member
Stalyvegas to Manchester Piccadilly with Northern, now that they don't run to/from Huddersfield in the morning and evening peaks. Fastest is with TPE direct, with Northern you have to change at Salford Crescent.

St Pancras to London Bridge via Southeastern.
Upwey to Yeovil Pen Mill via SWR.
Ely to Peterborough via GTR
Doncaster to Retford via Northern.
Wokingham to Ash via SWR
Guildford to Reigate via GTR
Southampton to Basingstoke via GWR
You could even argue Euston to Liverpool via West Midland Trains, but not really in the spirit of the thread.
Also until recently Newcastle to Edinburgh via TPE

Halish Railway

Established Member
Sorry if these have already been mentioned:
Inverness to Aberdeen only on LNER via Haymarket.

Scarborough to Whitby only with Northern - service to Hull, then Leeds, then Carlisle and then if possible, a direct service to Whitby. If that’s not possible then a change at Middlesbrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.