• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Small villages with a very frequent bus service

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderPS

Not sure of the population but Bowling in West Dunbartonshire has a bus every 10 mins and a train every 30 mins too on top of that. Population stat I could find for 2015 was 740 but not sure what it is now.

Also worth noting though it's because of the route into Dumbarton the 1/1A/1B take. There's also 3 1E journeys at peaks too for First

Must have had a higher frequency when McColls were competing with First on the 1 corridor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Villages with ‘over provision’ will almost certainly get the benefit simply due to geography and the local road network placing them on the main route between two (or more) much larger population centres.
I tried to explain this to a resident of a small village when they complained about their poor bus service compared to a similar sized village not far away that had 4 buses an hour for much of the day. However that was simply down to the fact that the main road between the two largest towns in the area ran right through it. The complainants village was a bit off the beaten track, so I think they got a council tender every couple of hours if I remember correctly.

Yep, perfect example of this is Hightown pop 2,063 only has 1 bus an hour[206 Hightown-Crosby Circular] last bus departs 16.43, were as Ince Blundell pop 516 has 3 buses an hour[47 Crossens-Liverpool] running all week with an early evening service every 20 minutes daytime, 30 minutes Sundays, because Ince Blundell is on the Liverpool-Southport main road, Hightown is off the beaten track as it were, on the flip side Hightown does have 4 trains an hour on the Liverpool-Southport Merseyrail line

Ant158

Not that small a village, but Whalley in Lancashire with around 3600 popn. is served by many routes, mainly because it is between Clitheroe and lots of other Lancashire towns. At least 6 buses per hour, usually more during the daytime across 7 different services.

The nearby village of Read has a half hourly bus service with a popn. of only 1400 due to it being on the main road between Burnley and Clitheroe.

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
Ecton in Northants. Population under 500, normally 4bph 2 to Northampton 2 to Wellingboro and beyond.

Also hourly on Sundays and evenings.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Could you class it as a *small* village?
To be honest I'd call it a suburb, but it calls itself a village... but then my local council seems to think that a "large village" is a town (Slaithwaite has signs to the "Town Centre" from the A62 but they aren't fooling anyone).

Status
Not open for further replies.