• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station groups as origin/destination on tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Highly unlikely. Booking engines won't show it and it took the effort of some forum members to get this historical easement formalised a couple of years ago. Here's the exact wording from the Easements Section of the Routeing Guide, even then they've got the wording wrong as it should be valid for holders of tickets to Glasgow or Edinburgh and stations south of Glasgow or Edinburgh

Holders of tickets from Kyle of Lochalsh to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, may join Scotrail only operated trains at Mallaig. They will need to make their own arrangements to travel between Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig, as railway tickets are not valid on bus and ferry connections between the two locations. This manual easement will not operate in online journey planning systems.

eoff

Edinburgh and Haymarket are valid at each others, well i used a Edinburgh ticket at Haymarket.
I have always been confused by this as there does not seem to be an Edinburgh station group which nowadays would mean more stations that it used to.

island

Veteran Member
There is not (and to my knowledge has never been) an Edinburgh station group. As mentioned further up the thread, Edinburgh and Haymarket tickets are treated interchangeably as a local arrangement.

kieron

Established Member
A couple of extra groups you can buy a rail ticket to are:

Belfast NI (M190)
Heathrow Bus (5564)

It can almost double the cost of a return trip from (say) York to Pontefract (e.g. if someone used the direct train to/from Baghill in one direction and travelled via Leeds to/from Monkhill in the other) :(
I don't think the difference would be quite that much. You're going from:

CDR Pontefract Stations-York "any permitted" (£17.30)

to:

CDS Pontefract Stations-York "any permitted" (£17.20) and
SDS York-Pontefract Baghill "not via Leeds" (£10.20)

for an increase of 58%.

There are "not via Leeds" tickets from Pontefract Stations, but I don't know of a route for which they would be valid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A couple of extra groups you can buy a rail ticket to are:

Belfast NI (M190)
Heathrow Bus (5564)

I don't think the difference would be quite that much. You're going from:

CDR Pontefract Stations-York "any permitted" (£17.30)

CDR priced at 10.40 and a 3.45 excess = 13.85

to:

CDS Pontefract Stations-York "any permitted" (£17.20) and
SDS York-Pontefract Baghill "not via Leeds" (£10.20)

for an increase of 58%.

So the price rise is from 13.85 to 27.40 which is just pennies off a doubling of the fare.

Not sure about Argyle St or Glasgow Central if they are valid at each others stations?
They're not. I don't know what happens if Argyle Street is one stop closer than Glasgow, but if it's one stop further, the barriers won't open for you.

In most cases, a ticket from somewhere in Glasgow's suburbs to Central costs the same as a ticket to Argyle Street. The barrier staff will check your ticket and let you through without a fuss.

route101

Established Member
They're not. I don't know what happens if Argyle Street is one stop closer than Glasgow, but if it's one stop further, the barriers won't open for you.

In most cases, a ticket from somewhere in Glasgow's suburbs to Central costs the same as a ticket to Argyle Street. The barrier staff will check your ticket and let you through without a fuss.

I see, never had much reason to use Argyle St! My mate who used a Edinburgh to Hamilton return, took bus to East Kilbride and then took train to Glasgow Central, he got through the barriers on that ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.