• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations served by only one train type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Must have been an emergency exit? To my knowledge 800, 801,802 class have run on diversion through Cranbrook but never been scheduled to stop. Unless I am mistaken. First stop Honiton from Exeter Central. The platform would be too short as well

Only 159 (sometimes with trailing 158) in regular service.

In the days before Covid when SWR ran an additional Exeter - Honiton/Axminster service in the evening peak, that used to be a 158 running solo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
Most of these examples will be recently opened stations. I think it would be interesting to find out the oldest station which has only ever seen one type of rolling stock - including those which have since closed.

Class800

Established Member
In the days before Covid when SWR ran an additional Exeter - Honiton/Axminster service in the evening peak, that used to be a 158 running solo.
ok so Cranbrook has been 158 and 159. Still quite homogenous,but not strictly a single class. A single 'train type' is a vague concept - are 158 and 159 the same 'type' of train. Broadly speaking yes. But not the same class, although 159s are modified 158s

superalbs

Established Member
Cranbrook opened a couple of years back and always 159s leading. But just sometimes it's two 159s and a 158 on the back. So it depends on your definition
As stated earlier, I've had an 802 to Cranbrook.

bramling

Veteran Member
Most of these examples will be recently opened stations. I think it would be interesting to find out the oldest station which has only ever seen one type of rolling stock - including those which have since closed.

Out of stations which are open today, the winners would appear to be the Tyne & Wear Metro.

One which I can't find being mentioned here is Partick (Subway) station, which presumably has only ever been served by the current trains.

For London Underground the winner will be Heathrow Terminal 4 by some margin.

The historical winner is probably the original Glasgow Subway fleet, which did something like over 70 years. I don’t think that will be beaten. It’s also quite sobering when compared with the rail industry today which is binning 20-year-old trains simply because it can’t organise itself (and then complains that it’s short of money!).

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
As stated earlier, I've had an 802 to Cranbrook.
OK. I've not managed to keep up with the whole thread. I didn't think the diverted GWRs called at Cranbrook, but clearly sometimes they did. So this is another class, in passenger service, but not in 'regular' service.

superalbs

Established Member
The 1640 from Exeter Central was all stops to Honiton except Cranbrook, which then ran back without stops from Honiton to Exeter Central.

Don't know what the other evening service did.

Of course it would have run down on the 1340 into Exeter Central anyway, on the front of a 159.

OK. I've not managed to keep up with the whole thread. I didn't think the diverted GWRs called at Cranbrook, but clearly sometimes they did. So this is another class, in passenger service, but not in 'regular' service.
Just done some digging, and found my ticket for the journey!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-214212_Messenger~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-214212_Messenger~2.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 68

DNCharingX

London, because I'm not familiar with anywhere else.

Thameslink is... somewhat cheating... so I will refrain.

Even the odd examples I can think of (Bromley North) are served by both 465 and 466. Might be impossible within London, or at least my knowledge of London. Does the Underground count?

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
I believed you - but interesting to see the ticket. I remember the diversion timetables and most diverteds did not call at Cranbrook, but clearly some did. So, we have 158 and 159 ('sister' classes) in regular service, plus some rare 802s on diversionary workings

superalbs

Established Member
I've only heard of two occasions that it happened. That day I travelled and the day before. One service each day. I was the only person to get off on that service.

Wonder if anyone did the other one! If not, I could be the only person to ever use an 802 at Cranbrook. Not bad considering I try and avoid the wretched things! :lol:

Recessio

Has Wood Lane only been served by S stock, or did it get the tail end of the older trains?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Has Wood Lane only been served by S stock, or did it get the tail end of the older trains?

Opened in C Stock days (2008). S Stock only came in from around 2012 or so on the Circle/Hammersmith lines.

Grumbler

Does Rowland Emett's Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Branch Railway at Battersea Park count?

MadMac

That was silly of me, Kilmaurs is of course north of Kilmarnock so would be served by Killie terminators. That'll teach me for trying to type too quickly! :oops:
Back in the day, the first generation DMUs rarely ventured south of Kilmarnock. There's a couple of pics on that site of a Derby Lightweight at Kilmarnock en route to Central, presumably having originated from Carlisle: I also saw a Class 108 at Central some 50 years ago or so complete with window bars, which had presumably come up the G&SW.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Back in the day, the first generation DMUs rarely ventured south of Kilmarnock. There's a couple of pics on that site of a Derby Lightweight at Kilmarnock en route to Central, presumably having originated from Carlisle: I also saw a Class 108 at Central some 50 years ago or so complete with window bars, which had presumably come up the G&SW.
I seem to recall seeing more than one shot of a 126 at Carlisle in the early 1980s when the Intermediate DMS had lost the gangway connections. Presumably they appeared in the 1970s as well.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 1640 from Exeter Central was all stops to Honiton except Cranbrook, which then ran back without stops from Honiton to Exeter Central.

Don't know what the other evening service did.

Of course it would have run down on the 1340 into Exeter Central anyway, on the front of a 159.

Just done some digging, and found my ticket for the journey!
What about the one which ran to Axminster (which then ran ECS towards Salisbury)?

The premise of the thread is stations only ever served by one train type throughout their entire history; not just a single train type today.

Only the very most recent stations would qualify then as trains get scrapped after a few decades.

I'm not sure what the OP's intention was, but the wording doesn't say the stations have to be recent or still open. In decades gone by trains were probably more varied, but there might be some short-lived halts from the early years of d.m.u.s, or even the railmotor era, that fit the criteria.

Wikipedia indicates that the locomotives of the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway (1848-1851, and part of it never reopened) were all of the same type, and there were only 8 carriages, although in 1850-1 it used stock borrowed from the Eastern Counties Railway. The original station at Bourne Bridge (1848-1850 only) might qualify. There's some more detail here; it may come down to whether 1st/2nd/3rd class coaches built by the same manufacturer at the same time count as the same train type or not.

GLC

Patrick on the Glasgow Subway opened in 1980 and has only ever been served by the current generation of rolling stock, so that’s 41 years of service from a single train type (albeit on a network that is physically closed off from any other!)

MadMac

I seem to recall seeing more than one shot of a 126 at Carlisle in the early 1980s when the Intermediate DMS had lost the gangway connections. Presumably they appeared in the 1970s as well.
Indeed! I think they were, as a rule, loco-hauled, although there were obviously exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.