• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that lost their suffix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

Ham Street & Orlestone - Now just Ham Street
Bexhill Central - Now just Bexhill
Tunbridge Wells Central - Now just Tunbridge Wells
Three Oaks and Guestling Halt - Now just Three Oaks
Doleham Halt - Now just Doleham
Sandling Junction - Now just Sandling

Paul
Didn't Sandling go through a stage of being Sandling for Hythe?

I'll add Morley (Low) and Bebington (& New Ferry).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Curiously Newton for Hyde keeps its suffix even though there are now stations actually in Hyde.

Rainford lost its Junction at some point after ceasing to be one. Burscough has kept its Junction but to differentiate from Bridge.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Paris Gare du Nord is often shortened to Paris-Nord these days. Same with many others in Paris. Not a complete removal I appreciate.

Crossover

Established Member
Is James Cook still "University Hospital" at the end?

I've seen both used. The full moniker is, I suppose, rather lengthy, but I believe that it's still the station's full name!

As @Mcr Warrior has alluded to in his post, both are in use. Real Time Trains uses "James Cook" & National Rail Enquiries uses the full and correct "James Cook University Hospital". It has been about 3 months since I last used the train home but generally the automated announcements would use the full title and guards would use the shorter version, which is understandable given they could be saying quite a few stations if they are going to Whitby. Interestingly, when the station was first built, the station signs on the platform said "James Cook University Hospital", but got changed after the official opening.

It changed quite quickly. Me and @Starmill visited twice whilst on a rover in the area in the opening week or so, around 5 days or so apart. Between the visits the name board changed and the location of the PIS also changed, from what I recall (I do have pictures somewhere)

Howardh

Established Member
Bolton Trinity Street. We had Bolton Moor Lane almost adjacent, but then that closed there was no need to keep the "Trinity St." suffix.

Also, I never see Lostock (Lancs) as "Lostock Parkway" which it used to be when the re-opened the station, they still read out "Buckshaw Parkway" etc on the train...has the suffix been officially dropped or am I just not listening?!

woodend01

There’s Shirebrook which used to be Shirebrook West, despite it being on the eastern side of the town of Shirebrook

RH Liner

Wasn't it "Alfreton & Mansfield Parkway" until the Robin Hood Line reopened with a station in Mansfield Town centre?

Dewsbury (Wellington Rd)
Morley (Low)
Yes. And that station used to be Mansfield Town too. Now just Mansfield, but some on board announcements still call it Town, presumably to distinguish it from Mansfield Woodhouse.
The old ‘Town’ suffix was to distinguish it from the former Mansfield Railway/LNER station commonly referred to as Mansfield Central, but it apparently never officially carried that name. That station nameboard just read ‘Mansfield’.

james60059

Wasn't Nuneaton once Nuneaton Trent Valley (to distinguish it from Nuneaton Abbey Street before it closed)

bearhugger

It changed quite quickly. Me and @Starmill visited twice whilst on a rover in the area in the opening week or so, around 5 days or so apart. Between the visits the name board changed and the location of the PIS also changed, from what I recall (I do have pictures somewhere)
It's my local station (and I'm the station adopter) and while it was being built I went to the footbridge to take photos on roughly a weekly basis to document the construction (annoyingly i can't find them now!). IIRC the PIS was aligned so you couldn't see it from where you entered the platform but was later rotated 90 degrees so it was at least obvious it was there. I also remember being surprised by the quick change of the signs.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also, I never see Lostock (Lancs) as "Lostock Parkway" which it used to be when the re-opened the station, they still read out "Buckshaw Parkway" etc on the train...has the suffix been officially dropped or am I just not listening?!
The 'Parkway' suffix at Lostock station (which re-opened in 1988 as 'Lostock Parkway') seems to have been quietly dropped quite soon after.

Been briefly discussed on here before...

Don't think the separate Buckshaw Parkway station has ever had any name change since opening in 2011.

D6975

Established Member
Hatfield & Stainforth
take a look at the history of this one, it seems to reversed at least once.

FenMan

Established Member
On the North Downs Line (suffix removals or changes only as there have been a fair few other name changes):-

Reading, was Reading Southern
Sandhurst, was Sandhurst Halt
Dorking West, was Dorking Town
Reigate, was Reigate Town
Redhill, was Redhill Junction

Gloster

Established Member
On the North Downs Line (suffix removals or changes only as there have been a fair few other name changes):-

Reading, was Reading Southern
Sandhurst, was Sandhurst Halt
Dorking West, was Dorking Town
Reigate, was Reigate Town
Redhill, was Redhill Junction
Reading Southern was a separate station. The trains now run into a part of the old GWR Reading (General).

richard1976

The current North Llanrwst has in the past been
Llanrwst > Llanrwst & Trefriw > Llanrwst > Llanrwst North
before becoming North Llanrwst in 2004

I know it's a tangent, but the three stations I can think of with Spa attached to their name (Bath, Droitwich, Leamington) have all kept the suffix, though I don't think any of them would be ambiguous if it was dropped. Mildly curious, especially as the stations in other spa towns (e.g. Harrogate, Llandrindod Wells) never had "Spa" in their names (as far as I know). Has anyone found any that have been de-Spa-ed?

Stonehouse Burdett Road
Off-topic and non-trivia, but has there been any discussion of whether Stonehouse would revert to Stonehouse Burdett Road, or change to some other name, if Stonehouse Bristol Road reopens?

A Challenge

Established Member
Mildly curious, especially as the stations in other spa towns (e.g. Harrogate, Llandrindod Wells) never had "Spa" in their names (as far as I know). Has anyone found any that have been de-Spa-ed
Llandrindod Wells station has lost its Wells, as have few other of the Heart of Wales Line stations

TBY-Paul

Stockton opened as Stockton-on-Tees. Then became North Stockton, reverted back to Stockton-on-tees and is now plain Stockton.

Djgr

Established Member
Caergwrle (Castle & Wells), which also deanglicised it.

Last edited:

londontransit

Norwich used to be Norwich Thorpe when there was also Norwich Victoria and Norwich City.

Brundall Gardens Halt was at one time just Brundall Gardens, not sure if it's regained it's Halt or not.

We used to have Yarmouth Vauxhall, which, I understand, is now Great Yarmouth so lost it's suffix and gained a prefix!

Lowestoft used to be Lowestoft Central.

Haddiscoe used to be Haddiscoe Low Level, when there was also a High Level.

North Walsham used to be North Walsham Main.

Cromer used to be Cromer Beach.
Norwich Thorpe was still named as such until not too long ago. Indeed I remember it being proclaimed as such with a huge sign outside until perhaps the late 1980s/early 1990s & even the early modern era BR station lights had Norwich Thorpe on them until perhaps about the same time.

The Yarmouth stations had no prefix but a suffix eg Vauxhall, Beach, Southtown (all of which I remember) but only Vauxhall and Southtown had modern BR era lights with those names. The Yarmouth Vauxhall station lights remained decades after the other two had gone to the wall.

Luckily no-one decided upon calling the present Great Yarmouth station Yarmouth Runham Vauxhall because that's the name of the locality!

Lowestoft Central still exists according to the 1960s BR blue era sign thats outside the station! (Though its officially just Lowestoft.)

The other North Walsham station on the M&GNJR was known as North Walsham Town.

Cromer Beach was so named because of the other at Cromer High on the GER.

Parallel

Established Member
Filton (Junction)
Wasn’t Filton Junction another station slightly further up than Filton Abbey Wood? I think you can see three abandoned platform faces when passing - an island and one on the Cardiff bound line.

Status
Not open for further replies.