• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations visible from within other stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH Liner

The next station Eastwards from Bamber Bridge is Pleasington, which is more than five miles away with several curves in between. I suspect that you're thinking of Lostock Hall, which is the next station to the West and less than a mile away on straight track.
Don’t think so, I’m more likely to have named Bamber Bridge in error. In my working life I was a sports journalist on the local rag, covering Alfreton Town home and away. I often travelled by train, and there was certainly one station I used to use where I could see the homebound train standing in the next station along the line. Thought it was Bamber but could well have been elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Graham H

And at the other end, the stretch from Havant to Fishbourne is pretty much dead straight (but might go up and down sufficiently to prevent visibility all the way along. Or is that the curvature of the Earth? ;) )
From Emsworth up platform you can see Southbourne to the east and both Warblington and Havant to the west so thats 3 other stations visible

lancastria

You can see Waterloo from Charing Cross, but they are not on the same line.
Also I think you can see Cannon Street from Blackfriars, but there is no service between the two

Geoff_K

From Belvedere P2, I can see the headlight of the train I'm waiting for when it's at Abbey Wood.

Western Sunset

Established Member
I think some of the above are very optimistic sightings. Some have just assumed that stations next to each other will be visible from either one.

Derby and Peartree - no way. Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction - are you having a laugh? Patchway and Filton Abbey Wood - can't see it myself.

Taunton

Established Member
From the footbridge at Woodhall, Port Glasgow, I used to reckon you can see the level crossing, and footbridge, at Cardross station on the Helensburgh line. About 2 hours to get from one to the other. Gourock and Craigendoran might see one another with binoculars.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
From La Conversion on the Lausanne to Bern line high above Lac Léman (Lake Geneva), you can make out one of the small stations on the Brig line a hundred metres or so below.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Port Sunlight and Spital. Maybe Bebington too?

Port Sunlight is visible from Spital.
From Port Sunlight you can definitely see Spital. On a clear day and with good eyesight, one can see all the way down to Eastham Rake.
There are countless ones on the DLR, but are there any on the tube?
Covent Garden and Leicester Square can kind of be seen from one another. If you stand at the entrance of either, looking in the right direction will allow you to see the London Underground roundel of the other.

timmydunn

You can see Bishopstone from Seaford (and vice-versa; i suppose you can see most - but not all - of the stations in this thread from the other way, too.)

On heritage/NG lines (I would suggest not trying to count miniature lines...) -all the duplicated-due-to-new-access-needs e.g. Sheringham and Sheringham, Kidderminster and Kidderminster Town etc...
And the ones where you can see along the line to the next station, eg Clogwyn to Summit on Snowdon Mountain Railway

London Blackfriars and City Thameslink.
Can you definitely see City Thameslink platforms from the north end of Blackfriars platforms? I think there's a bit too much of a dip to see them.

satisnek

What's fascinating about this is how the line between Havant and Warblington clearly used to be dead straight but is now realigned to allow a higher speed to/from the Portsmouth Direct route.

Status
Not open for further replies.