• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations visible from within other stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
From Ellesmere Port, you can see trains in the platform at both Overpool and Little Sutton and probably Stanlow & Thornton as well. Ince & Elton is out of sight as there is a very slight hump between there and Stanlow.

I know this as, in the olden days, when I was travelling westwards from Little Sutton, I used to check whether I could see the lights on the unit parked at Ellesmere Port so I could come to a view as to whether my train was running or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
You used to be able to see Woking (and Byfleet & New Haw in the other direction) from the footbridge at West Byfleet, but it's decades since I used it and I doubt the old concrete footbridge is still there.
According to my friend who lives in West Byfleet, you still can from the new footbridge, provided that the weather is clear and the trains' high-intensity headlights are switched on.

There are countless ones on the DLR, but are there any on the tube?
Covent Garden and Leicester Square?

Last edited:

Hophead

Established Member
I've never seen one from the other. I imagine you'd have to lean out dangerously far in order to peer through the tunnel.

Wouldn't be surprised if one or both of Turnham Green or Ravenscourt Park were visible from Stamford Brook on the District.

kermit

Taking the OP's question literally: Leeds Midland and Leeds New.

You didn't say they had to be current, open stations :lol:
So....Brooklands from Timperley, (or from Sale, but possibly not the other way round as you'd be trying to squint through the overbridge?). Despite having been converted to Metro tram stops in the 1990s, nobody looking at these buildings would describe them as anything other than railway stations.

NSE

Established Member
Raynes Park/New Malden/Berrylands (would need binoculars to go all the way from Raynes Park to Berrylands), Worcester Park/Motspur Park, Kingston/Hampton Wick, Streatham Hill/Balham.

Slightly off tangent, but I went cycling from London to both Sheerness and Southend with a vague intention of trying to see a c2c train from Sheerness or a SE one from Southend! I maintain with some binoculars and a suitable location I could pick out the line by Leigh on Sea/Chalkwell from the Kentish side. Gives me an excuse to go cycling at some point soon!

MML-Ben

You can see Brightside Station from Meadowhall Station and I guess using binoculars you would also be able to see Grimesthorpe Bridge Station too.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Holborn/Chancery Lane on the Central Line

From the footbridge at Waterloo East, trains can be seen in the platforms at Charing Cross.

On a clear day, there are probably several stations visible from Snowdon Summit

HSP 2

From Bidston you can see trains stopping at two stations on the way to / from West Kirby, being Leasowe and Morton. But you can't make out the platforms. But from either Leasowe or Morton I would expect that you could see Bidston due to it been an island platform and having some station buildings.

RH Liner

I may be making this up but I feel fairly sure that when I visited Bamber Bridge by train you could see the next station up the line eastwards. Can’t remember the station though off the top of my head.

D6130

Established Member
I may be making this up but I feel fairly sure that when I visited Bamber Bridge by train you could see the next station up the line eastwards. Can’t remember the station though off the top of my head.
The next station Eastwards from Bamber Bridge is Pleasington, which is more than five miles away with several curves in between. I suspect that you're thinking of Lostock Hall, which is the next station to the West and less than a mile away on straight track.

morrisobrien

Filton Abbeywood from Patchway.
Bristol Parkway from Filton Abbeywood.
Patchway from Bristol Parkway.
Severn Tunnel Junction From Pilning.

K.o.R

Hove to Aldrington, Portslade to Fishersgate

And at the other end, the stretch from Havant to Fishbourne is pretty much dead straight (but might go up and down sufficiently to prevent visibility all the way along. Or is that the curvature of the Earth? ;) )

JamesC357

Raynes Park/New Malden/Berrylands (would need binoculars to go all the way from Raynes Park to Berrylands), Worcester Park/Motspur Park, Kingston/Hampton Wick, Streatham Hill/Balham.

Slightly off tangent, but I went cycling from London to both Sheerness and Southend with a vague intention of trying to see a c2c train from Sheerness or a SE one from Southend! I maintain with some binoculars and a suitable location I could pick out the line by Leigh on Sea/Chalkwell from the Kentish side. Gives me an excuse to go cycling at some point soon!

Not sure about Southend, but certainly if you go to Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury, you can see (and even hear if the wind is in the right direction) SE trains across the Thames in Kent

davews

Isleworth/Syon Lane. You may be right but I have never noticed when I have been waiting at Isleworth. Maybe from the footbridge?

(not worked out how to 'quote' on this forum yet)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Berlin Ostbahnhof from certain platforms at Berlin Ostkreuz. And I think before Berlin Hbf was built you could see a couple of neighbouring stations on the Stadtbahn.

Closer to home, East Didsbury and Burnage. Mauldeth Road and Burnage at a stretch. Likewise Davenport and Woodsmoor.

vidal

You can see Mayfield from Manchester Piccadilly.

And previously Exchange from Manchester Victoria - famously sharing a platform.

James

Meglos

Standing on the Up platform at Chessington North you can see the next 455/456 waiting to depart Chessington South (provided it's not a single 455 unit). You can tell when the driver arrives as the lights on the 'front' switch from two reds to two whites.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Isleworth/Syon Lane. You may be right but I have never noticed when I have been waiting at Isleworth. Maybe from the footbridge?

(not worked out how to 'quote' on this forum yet)
Easier to see Isleworth from Syon Lane than vice versa. Isleworth has more buildings and is higher up. Quite a noticeable climb for freight workings such as 6Y42

Tomp94

From Durrington-on-sea (Worthing) you can just about see West Worthing to the east, and Goring-By-Sea to the West.
From Worthing you can just about see West Worthing to the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.