• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where it is possible to get to another station from every platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
Another boring two platform (but not terminus) one.
Gainsborough Central. The Sheffield stoppers (not currently running but due to return, in theory) stop and reverse on the Cleethorpes bound platform to depart for Sheffield, and the ones returning from Cleethorpes obviously use the other one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

Would Wickford count for services towards Southminster? All 4 platforms have services booked to Southminster - although I've noticed there are a lot fewer from Platform 4 than I seem to remember. Most of the morning Southminster terminators / starters used to use P4, but they now seem to use P1, which involves crossing over a footbridge if you wish to travel into London.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Stratford International springs to mind. Because of the "Circular" High speed services - being reintroduced on 7th September - you can get to St Pancras international from both platforms, either in 6 minutes or 2 3/4 hours!

Hahah I wish, it would make the via Herne Bay tickets much more appealing. It is 3.5 hours most of the time going right round the coast. It is awesome our beloved circulars will be back again next week. However, it will be a such shame to lose the regular Electrostars although I guess we can't have everything

Back on topic, my contributions are: Ramsgate, Dover Priory, Southampton Central, Lewisham, Blackfriars and Ebbsfleet International (if the law allowed)

saintsfan

All services from Salisbury to Waterloo or towards Southampton can depart from all operational platforms (2,3,4 & 6) under a normal timetable.

najaB

Veteran Member
Dundee to Edinburgh - early morning there's a service from Platform 4.

Edit: And Glasgow Queen Street at present too.

Class 170101

Established Member
Would Wickford count for services towards Southminster? All 4 platforms have services booked to Southminster - although I've noticed there are a lot fewer from Platform 4 than I seem to remember. Most of the morning Southminster terminators / starters used to use P4, but they now seem to use P1, which involves crossing over a footbridge if you wish to travel into London.

Fewer trains using Platform 4 will be because once the Class 720s enter this service later this year and going forward they won't fit there. Platform 1 should eventually be extended to enable Class 720s to fit.

etr221

While Charing Cross to Waterloo East has been mentioned above, what perhaps makes it exceptional is that not only can you take a train from any of the six palatforms, I believe I'm right in saying that you can take any train, as they all stop at Waterloo East.

Iskra

Established Member
Skipton has trains to Leeds from all 4 platforms
Bradford Forster Sq has trains to Leeds from all 3 platforms

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Anywhere from all 4 platforms at Newport

EDIT - Except Platform 1 to Ebbw Vale so my post invalid

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Springburn to Glasgow Queen Street is possible from all four platforms, however, 3 and 4 run to the low level platforms via Bellgrove as they are the bay platforms.

Piccadilly Line on London Underground from Heathrow Terminals 123 trains heading eastbound can depart from either platform if the line to Terminal 5 is closed for engineering works.

J-P_L

Darlington you can get southbound ECML or towards Middlesbrough from all platforms (including both 4a and 4b)

J-P_L

Including Platform 1?

You can access Tyne Valley line and ECML south from P1 via the High Level Bridge and Greensfield Jct/King Edwards Bridge South/East Jcts.

Running via “the bridges” is regularly used to turn LNER sets if in the incorrect formation and (pre Covid) for some TPE services.

najaB

Veteran Member
You can access Tyne Valley line and ECML south from P1 via the High Level Bridge and Greensfield Jct/King Edwards Bridge South/East Jcts.

Running via “the bridges” is regularly used to turn LNER sets if in the incorrect formation and (pre Covid) for some TPE services.
I know that you can do it, but are there any regularly timetabled services from Platform 1 that go south? (Since that's what the OP specified)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Basingstoke, Eastleigh and Southampton Central to London Waterloo all meet the criteria.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know that you can do it, but are there any regularly timetabled services from Platform 1 that go south? (Since that's what the OP specified)
[Newcastle Central]
Looking at a random date in November’s WTT on RTT, yes there are. Services to or from all four routes in the area use Platform 1, eg TPE Liverpool services via mainline south, NT Morpeths, Nunthorpes, and Carlisles...

I’d noticed the odd TPE in there a few months ago, as their stock has gradually lengthened to nearly all 5 car I expect they don‘t fit the usual west end bays.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Ive departed from every high level platform at Glasgow Central to East Kilbride

Im sure the same can happen with Neilston. Have seen it going off every platform a fair few times. One of the booked services during COVID has a service leaving from the front of Platform 15

route101

Established Member
Im sure the same can happen with Neilston. Have seen it going off every platform a fair few times. One of the booked services during COVID has a service leaving from the front of Platform 15

Yes, Neilston is another, seen it from P1 too. Arrived into P1 few months back on EK peak service. P5 used to be the default EK and Barrhead platform.

kieron

Established Member
If I may break the rules in a very specific and limited way...

1. Trains to Swansea used to stop at each platform in Craven Arms on a regular basis (trains via Hereford on one platform, ones via Llandovery on the other). I used both platforms when I changed trains there a few years ago. They apparently moved a crossover in 2018, so they all use the same platform now.

Ladybank still has that sort of layout, with trains to Edinburgh departing from either platform.

2. Trains only leave Liverpool Central on the way to Moorfields from two of its three platforms, but ones coming back can arrive at any of them (as trains only use that bit of the Wirral line in one direction).

snookertam

All stations round the Cathcart Circle for Glasgow Central. There’s the obvious city bound platform, but even on the opposite side you have the circle services running, one train per hour, and displayed as Glasgow Central.

Actually quite useful for the western half of the line.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are there any examples where it is possible get from one station to another using every single platform at the origin. The frequency from certain platforms can be low but has to be at least 1tpd.

Obviously anything involving stations with one platform are not included. Anything that only works during disruption or diversions is also disallowed.
Lancaster to Carnforth.
Does anything actually regularly work Northbound out of platform 4 at Lancaster towards Carnforth?

Status
Not open for further replies.