• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) Stations with 3 reversals or more per hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian 1998

How many stations are there with 3 or more reversing services per (most but not necessarly all) hours? This affects both platform dwell time and overall track capacity (e.g. Paignton -Exmouth services at Exeter St Davids have to pass from the Up Paddington to the Up Waterloo crossing the down Paddington and down Waterloo lines, blocking them in the process), so it's interesting to note how many stations there are where this is a regular practice.

To be clear, I'm only interested in through services, not terminating ones.

Stations I know of:

Bristol Temple Meads : Portsmouth-Cardiff and Weymouth/Brighton/Westbury-Gloucester/Great Malvern services in both directions so 4 tph. The latter in particular seems to be a classic example of operational convenience to avoid too many terminating trains sitting at Temple Meads.

Exeter St Davids : 2 Exmouth - Paignton services each way so 4tph. This service appears to be a mix of operational convenience and the need to give Paignton a through service to Exeter Central.

Birmingham New Street : AIUI all Southampton/Reading-Newcastle services in both directions reverse at the east end of the station. Most Bristol - Manchester services reverse at the west end, but some use the Camp Hill chord to avoid it, as do virtually all Manchester - Bristol services, so this is usually 3tph.

Sheffield : Lincoln - Leeds services in both directions reverse at the north end of the station, Liverpool-Norwich services in both directions reverse at the south end, so usually 4tph.

On that note, are there any stations besides Birmingham NS and Sheffield where trains regularly reverse at both ends of the station?

I might be wrong about any of the above so feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tw99

Reading, for the same reason you quoted for New Street, 4 XC per hour.

Grecian 1998

Reading, for the same reason you quoted for New Street, 4 XC per hour.

The Southampton - Newcastle services are only every 2 hours - every 2nd train starts or terminates at Reading. But with the Bournemouth - Manchester services that would still be 3tph on average so it would count.

Castleford? Derby? Glossop?

Ah yes, I'd forgotten there's a Birmingham-Nottingham each way each hour as well as the Cardiff-Nottingham each way.

The remodelling of Derby and Reading seems to have done well in segregating reversing services from the principal through lines as far as possible.

ijmad

Established Member
During the London Bridge rebuild there were a good number of late night services that went Charing Cross, Waterloo East, then Cannon Street, then reverse, and down to London Bridge and beyond.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Redhill will have four each hour plus two or three terminating trains once 3tph happens on the North Downs Line.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I would suggest one of the highest in the UK is Great Victoria Street in Belfast. There’s a minimum of 2tph each direction off-peak between Portadown and Bangor which reverses there giving you 4 reversals an hour but in the peaks that doubles. Giving you 8 reversals an hour.

Eastbourne would have to be pretty high up there too.

Aureol Colin

Ipswich, Stanstead, Norwich, Cambridge

Whoops not through services

Last edited:

HullRailMan

Hull.
Most hours have the following reverse.
Scarborough - Sheffield
Sheffield - Scarborough
Bridlington - York
York - Bridlington

There are also 2 x Beverley - Kings Cross and 2 x Kings Cross to Beverley per day.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gloucester but only every other hour when the GWR Bristol "stopping service" extends through to Worcester / Great Malvern (the other reversing services being the Paddington Cheltenham services).

AndyNLondon

Eastbourne would have to be pretty high up there too.
Indeed - Eastbourne has 6 reversals per hour off-peak (Ore-London Victoria, Ore-Brighton, Brighton-Hastings, London Victoria-Ore, Hastings-Brighton, Brighton-Ore), plus two terminating & two starting.

SteveM70

Established Member
Cromer has some 60 minute periods with 3 departures, all of which involve reversing

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bradford Interchange will win this. Easy.
I'd argue that stations where all services must reverse ought to be disqualified, as there's little practical distinction between those and an actual terminus where everything reverses but also changes headcode.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How many services reverse at Bristol Temple Meads? I know the Portsmouth to Cardiffs do but are there any others?

See the first entry in the opening post!

Bristol Temple Meads : Portsmouth-Cardiff and Weymouth/Brighton/Westbury-Gloucester/Great Malvern services in both directions so 4 tph. The latter in particular seems to be a classic example of operational convenience to avoid too many terminating trains sitting at Temple Meads.

CHAPS2034

Liverpool - Norwich hourly in both directions reverses at both Sheffield and Ely.

But only 2 per hour so I suppose it doesn't count under the OPs rules...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Liverpool - Norwich hourly in both directions reverses at both Sheffield and Ely.

But only 2 per hour so I suppose it doesn't count under the OPs rules...

As mentioned upthread, Sheffield also has Lincoln-Leeds reversing each way every hour too.

Status
Not open for further replies.