• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with platforms that have never been used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolmffc

The up platform at Chessington South has never been used, due to the extension of the line being cancelled after WW2. What other examples are there on the network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There seem to be occasional references* to a bay platform being built by BR at Ellesmere Port (for a Helsby shuttle, cross-platform connecting with the new electric Merseyrail service) around 1993 before being partially filled in, never having been commissioned.

I have never verified or seen this.

*On this forum and places like RMweb.

vic-rijrode

Bull and Bush on the Northern Line between Hampstead and Golders Green had platforms built at rail level - but no station on the surface! Does this count?

steamybrian

Established Member
Lullingstone the station between Swanley and Eynsford that was completed in 1939 but never opened. The platforms are still mainly in situ today.

In more recent times. I believe Heathrow Terminal 5 (National Rail station) was built with two additional platforms for any future extension westwards in direction of Staines.

S&CLER

There seem to be occasional references* to a bay platform being built by BR at Ellesmere Port (for a Helsby shuttle, cross-platform connecting with the new electric Merseyrail service) around 1993 before being partially filled in, never having been commissioned.

I have never verified or seen this.

*On this forum and places like RMweb.
It's mentioned in T.B. Maund's book Merseyrail Electrics - the Inside Story, page 61. The bay platform was built, but there was no money left for the necessary track alterations,

DB

Isn't there one at Honeybourne built fairly recently for potential future use by the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire railway?

bramling

Veteran Member
The up platform at Chessington South has never been used, due to the extension of the line being cancelled after WW2. What other examples are there on the network?

Edgware (LU) station - provision was made for one of more platforms as part of the Bushey Heath extension, but never brought into use.

King’s Cross (LU) - the Met Line platforms had a bay platform in the middle. There’s some debate as to whether this was ever used, but I think the general consensus is it probably wasn’t.

South Kensington - an additional westbound platform tunnel was constructed as part of the “District Deep Level” scheme, never saw a train.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Lullingstone the station between Swanley and Eynsford that was completed in 1939 but never opened. The platforms are still mainly in situ today.

In more recent times. I believe Heathrow Terminal 5 (National Rail station) was built with two additional platforms for any future extension westwards in direction of Staines.
Heathrow T5 has two platforms future proofed for a future Southern link

There are no platforms in there, just an empty box (and a stuck digger)

M28361M

This photo seems to show it; on the right there is a fenced off area which looks like a potential trackbed.

PeterC

Established Member
One of the bay platforms at Stratford was eventually used for the DLR but, looking at the satelite view on Google the other still seems to be in place.

Veteran Member
One of the bay platforms at Stratford was eventually used for the DLR but, looking at the satelite view on Google the other still seems to be in place.
Don't remember them every having track pre DLR - I assume they were passive provision for something, but what? A shuttle from Fenchurch St?

David Goddard

Established Member
Don't remember them every having track pre DLR - I assume they were passive provision for something, but what? A shuttle from Fenchurch St?
The entry for the station on Wiki states the following. I know its not always reliable but history like this normally is

1598529519452.png
Platform 7 on the other hand, has probably never been used

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe so, that’s what they were supposed to have been built for wherever I’ve seen it written about.

Ediswan

Established Member
Hertford North. There is a never used platform face behind the current platform 1. You can still see it if you peer through the fence and shrubbery at the northern end of the platform.

mmh

Established Member
The international platforms at Stratford International maybe?

ijmad

Established Member
Stevenage Platform 5 (technically true! for now!)

Class 170101

Established Member
South Kensington - an additional westbound platform tunnel was constructed as part of the “District Deep Level” scheme, never saw a train.

Various Stations have unused platforms built during WW2 for air raid shelters now disused but mostly under existing Northern Line tube. Was meant to become an express tube.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Were the high-level platforms at Highgate underground station ever actually used intended?
Not by Northern Line services, but they were served by trains to Alexandra Palace until closure in 1954, and formed part of the route for stock transfers between Highgate Depot and the Northern City Line until the early 1970s.

Scotrail84

Established Member
When Markinch station was rebuilt there was room left for terminating bay platform on the down side but there has never been track laid on it.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
As I've mentioned on other threads, a bay platform was built at Ellesmere Port when the line from Hooton was electrified in the 1990s. It was meant to be used by eastbound trains to Helsby. But these became so infrequent that track was never installed and the bay is now outside the station fence.

Trains in both directions now leave Ellesmere Port station from platforms on the "wrong" side and use trailing crossovers shortly after departure.

Ellesmere Port is believed to be the only station in the country with two conventional through lines and two though platforms - which has trains terminating from and departing in both directions - but has no through passenger services (if that makes sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.