• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - stations with too many platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

domcoop7

I'm not sure if Morecambe platform 1 is technically needed as all services could use platform 2. (Not that I'd actually want it to be rationalised further, but I don't think they are ever both occupied)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member
Balham, Streatham Common, Norbury & Thornton Heath P3 & P4
In the 1970's an early morning service to Horsham used it (I was on it most mornings), and it was unused then for the rest of the day. I assume this was for route knowledge? As others have said if slow lines are blocked for some reason then it would be essential to maintain any service.

How much of a money saving would actually be made by removing unused platforms? Marginal I would have thought, and retaining them keeps flexibility for future operations or in times of disruption.

plugwash

Established Member
I suspect it depends a lot on the situation, If it's just the actual platform that is unused probably fairly little. Otoh if the platform is fed by an unused set of points on a high speed line I imagine the maintenance savings from disconnecting it could be quite substantial.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm not sure if Morecambe platform 1 is technically needed as all services could use platform 2. (Not that I'd actually want it to be rationalised further, but I don't think they are ever both occupied)
The two platforms form separate bidirectional single lines. The platform 2 line is the only line which gives access to Heysham (via the Ground Frame).

There is currently one occasion during the day where there are two trains on the single lines at the same time - around 14:20, where a train to Lancaster departs 2 mins before a train from Leeds (via Lancaster) arrives.

Fully bidirectional lines would give more flexibility in some ways, but it's unlikely you'd be able to justify having two units on the branch all day long, let alone find decent paths on the WCML for them.

Sm5

I suspect it depends a lot on the situation, If it's just the actual platform that is unused probably fairly little. Otoh if the platform is fed by an unused set of points on a high speed line I imagine the maintenance savings from disconnecting it could be quite substantial.
Points at Balham are quite regularly used, but not in relation to services stopping at the fast line platforms.

I have detrained at Balham fast platforms a few times.
heres one example from yesterday

And another on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.