• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Termini stations with least facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris M

Cockfosters I think has to take the prize on LU as there is almost nothing there.
West Ruislip, Stanmore and Epping are not too far behind.

I don't recall there being much of anything at South Hylton on the T&W Metro but it's been quite a few years since I was there last so it may have changed.

Cardiff Bay and Severn Beach were my first thoughts for NR but they've been mentioned already.

Smallbrook Junction as a terminus for the IOWSR is very basic - two platforms, each with a shelter and that's about it.

route101

Established Member
East Kilbride is pretty sparse for the size of town , does have a ticket office though.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I can imagine that somewhere like Teesside Airport has little or sparse facilities.

Can someone confirm this?

JN114

Established Member
Shalford is quite a basic unstaffed station.

It is, but it isn't a terminus.

Suggestion out of left field - Heathrow Terminal 4 (HEX)

2 platforms, no seating. Nearest ticketing or toilet facilities are in the terminal, which is a long walk and a lift ride away.

tsr

Established Member
Not a lot more at Snowdon Summit station.

Must be a while since you've been up there! The station is part of quite an impressive structure on the top (the fact that it is basically a bog-standard visitor centre does not diminish the fact that it's relatively large building perched right on top of Snowdon).

http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/hafod-eryri-snowdon-summit-visitor-centre

Blaenau Ffestiniog is something of a wasteland.

The immediate surroundings of generic back gardens and a car park aren't brilliant, but there are at least a few shops and suchlike in the town centre, which is only a couple of minutes' walk away, if you need them.

Seaford is pretty bare.
There is a ticket hall one platform and a toilet.

If we're going down that route, Uckfield also counts. The station building is open for far fewer hours than the train service runs (even on RMT strike days!), covering neither first nor last trains on weekdays, and only has a ticket office, toilet and a coffee stall which operates during entirely random hours. When it's closed, there's a TVM and that's about it. The shelters aren't up to much and they're perched above a river.

Shalford is quite a basic unstaffed station.

It is, but it isn't a terminus.

A few weekday services run from Reading to Shalford, terminate there, shunt to the other platform and run back in service. I'd hardly describe it as a terminus, though.

I can imagine that somewhere like Teesside Airport has little or sparse facilities.

Can someone confirm this?

It does, I believe, but the chances of a train terminating there are virtually nil. This thread is about termini!

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Sheringham, not the best places to wait in the cold and wet at the end of a long day diesel bashing on the NNR.

mrcheek

Established Member
Pembroke Dock must be the most sparse station where HSTs ever terminate.

I cant remember anything being there. apart from a cat

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hayes (Kent) is pretty spartan for a two platform terminal station. A ticket office (not always manned) and that's about it. No waiting room.

Generally a bit of an armpit of a place!

Poolie

Hartlepool on a Sunday for the Darlington terminating services. A waiting room, but everything else is closed........even the Rat Race :cry:

topydre

Pwllheli has to be a contender - not even a ticket machine, and only 1 platform in use.

Though Newhaven Marine would probably win this thread given recent developments...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.