• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(TRIVIA) The most soporific railway film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In its day, BFI produced some great transport films, many featuring the railways. One of these was called "Single Line Working".

It starts off promisingly but, by the time it ends, I guarantee you will have fallen asleep (or wish you had).

It's almost in the league of the 3-hour long slow TV epic "The Ghan" (which I had to watch in 45-minute bits on my PVR).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
You have to bear in mind this was not edited for the general public - it was a specific BR training film (not produced by BFI but now in their care) dealing with an important and complex safety matter in a film of 30 minutes length; quite reasonable, I think. It was made in 1958.

Andy R. A.

It is interesting in the fact that the film was made on the Somerset & Dorset Line, with Averton Hammer being Shepton Mallet, and Boiland being Binegar.

randyrippley

Established Member
It is interesting in the fact that the film was made on the Somerset & Dorset Line, with Averton Hammer being Shepton Mallet, and Boiland being Binegar.

Would have been a good name for one of Showering's cider brands

Veteran Member
Is this the one where they forgot to ensure the locos were carrying standard headcodes Instead of the unique S&D ones?

Spartacus

Established Member
There's plenty of double entendres in there, which caused a great deal of amusement when we used to show these at work team meetings a few years ago, which I've little doubt was intended to keep the attention of those watching a very dry subject when it was produced.

Taunton

Established Member
It's even got a youthful Donald Beale, the shot of him leaning out of the 538xx cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.