• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Things you saw travelling on the LU that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
In the 1970s I used to smoke on some underground trains. I think Kings Cross put paid to that or possibly earlier.
Yes, November 1987 was the single biggest thing to change the Underground since Moorgate.

Another couple - the tungsten bulb-lit platform destination indicators with their blue enamel destination plates, and, on pre-1959 stock, the destination light codes (five lamps in 'dice' layout) on the cab ends. The Northern line's 1959 stock was the most common type on the line and had just the two headlamps, whereas the protoype 1956s had the full five lights. CO/CP stock (red stock on the District line) also carried separate oil lamps on the rear (see picture).
8112077851_034fe2300a_k.jpg

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Station establishments which allowed smoking were phased out (after the smoking was immediately banned anyway) after the 1987 King's Cross fire, and the sale of alcohol 'inside' the ticket barriers was also banned in the early 90s. I was the internal LU business 'client' who oversaw the refurbishment of Sloane Square and many other stations in the late '80s and '90s.

From a planning career viewpoint on the Underground, several things have gone (in no special order) -
1. Being with what were then called Area Managers on a series of station planning trips and routinely riding in the cab with them and others, with the AMs taking the controls 'to refresh their driving knowledge' - up to four in a (service train) cab at once.
2. The reinstatement of 'heritage' '38 stock on the Northern line to cover stock shortages in the 1990s.
3. Being in the cab of a Central line service train EB from Stratford in the 80s which was taken at speed by the driver to demonstrate the poor state of the track and scraping the tunnel roof in the process of bouncing over the joints!
4. As others have said, guards in the rear cars of various stock, and the simple metal bar which separated them from the passengers in the car.
5. District line R and CO/CP stock with their flared bodysides and doors which could be (and frequently were) opened at at least walking pace when arriving at stations!
6. Smoking on trains and the filthy state of the designated cars such that their brown windows eassily identified them as they entered platforms.

I'm sure many others will surface as the tears of nostalgia clear!
Would Area Managers be the same as District Managers who were quite important figures on the Underground in the early 1970s? I was allowed to accompany a District Line District Manager on his rounds once, and another on the Piccadiily who bore a remarkable physical resemblance to the actor Fulton Mackay, and was also a Scot. The approach of these two late middle aged men differed from each other in every detail, but both commanded respect in their own ways, because they were both fair men in their dealings. If I'd stayed on in the Underground side of L.T, I'd certainly have aspired to their roles.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Would Area Managers be the same as District Managers who were quite important figures on the Underground in the early 1970s? I was allowed to accompany a District Line District Manager on his rounds once, and another on the Piccadiily who bore a remarkable physical resemblance to the actor Fulton Mackay, and was also a Scot. The approach of these two late middle aged men differed from each other in every detail, but both commanded respect in their own ways, because they were both fair men in their dealings. If I'd stayed on in the Underground side of L.T, I'd certainly have aspired to their roles.

Always intrigued (being BR) of the grade of LT Area Managers (nothing like BR ones) , the best description is that of "Andrew Melville" who wrote an enjoyable book called "Managing Down the Tube" . He really enjoyed the job which was the Operating Official for the operational day , with a remit on keeping the railway running , dealing with every sort of incidents from stations to trains , and reported directly to the Line Controller / Traffic Manager. Also passing out newly qualified train staff , presumably also guards.

Sounds like a superb, hands on job. Though it must have been hard work. Hopefully some job holders will come on with real life experiences.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
already banned on trains after the Oxford Circus station fire.
Forgotten about that - I stopped smoking May 83. According to Wikipedia it was banned on trains but allowed at certain stations in July 1984 then made system wide in February 1985 in the aftermath of the fire. Either way predates KGX by 3 years

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Forgotten about that - I stooped smoking May 83. According to Wikipedia it was banned on trains but allowed at certain stations in July 1984 then made system wide in February 1985 in the aftermath of the fire. Either way predates KGX by 3 years

Yeah, the issue at King's Cross was people lighting cigarettes on their way out of the station, hence how a smouldering match found its way between escalator steps.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
The painted A stock units disappeared when the fleet was refurbished, so around 1995-97.

Those 59 and 72 stock units on the Northern remained until the fleets were replaced, so 1998 for the 72 stock (one such train managed to survive a few weeks into 1999, and was in fact the last 72 stock to operate on the Northern) and mid to late 1999 for the 59 stock.
I was watching the video 125 production Metropolitan line drivers eye view which was filmed in 1995 and you see the white A stock with blue doors near Kings Cross and the one in LUL livery with a light grey roof near Willesden Green.
I read that the heritage red liveried 1959 tube stock (refurbished and painted in 1990) was the last 1959 tube stock train to run in January 2000 the one in LUL livery had been withdrawn a couple of months earlier out of interest did it have a hustle alarm like most LUL liveried trains did?
Also I think the three 197 Mark 1's refurbished in 1993 were the last to run on the Northern line I do believe it was the 3rd February 1999.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You probably mean Divisional Manager?
Area Manager
Group Manager
have also been Underground grades.
A long time ago, but I've just remembered they were known as District Inspectors (D.I.s) and they were certainly uniform grade, but had great influence.In the case of Northern and Victoria Lines at Euston there were D.I.s based at Cobourg Street, one of whom, D.I. Andrews, almost persuaded me to commit my future to the Underground side, rather than the bus side, and in retrospect I should have listened and followed his advice - I learned a lot from him.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Still in use at Earls Court last time I was there (Though maybe not with tungsten bulbs).

I was at Earl's Court yesterday. Still working (I think it's listed), far more visible than the new electronic departure board. Tungsten bulbs have been replaced with energy saving ones.

Bungle158

The "Follow the lights' indicators at some principal stations. Major destinations were given a coloured lamp and this was repeated, (singly), as a guide to the appropriate platform. The main indicators had space for 4 or 5 lamps. It is a few years since l used the Underground, but l think this system had disappeared by the 80s

Edited: Apologies, I see this has already been mentioned. Mods please delete if required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.