• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Train types where significant withdrawals took place before the last ones were built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Wonderful book by Mr Talbot - as indeed are all of his books on the LNWR, a real pleasure to read.

"On the subject of Trevithick; one of the first loco books ever published was The L&NWR Locomotives, Simple & Compound (1899)."

Cotterell and Wilkinson - fascinating short book, full of facts and interesting comments ! Took a while to work out exactly what they meant by the insert on Trevithick. Pity they didn't write more. Theres an article by Harry Jack in LNWRS Journal vol. 8 no. 4, March 2016 p138 about the authors.

Further note; I have now identified the booklet I mentioned describing the relative performances at Tamworth, amongst other details; it's Observation on the Teutonics, Greater Britains and Four Cylinder Compounds L.N.W.R by O.A. Deardon, published (like the 1899 one) by The Holland Company. I got mine some time ago, but one went for 75 quid at an auction recently(!).
As far as the 'wheels going in opposite directions' I think the wheel were not coupled to allow the low pressure cylinder(s) to assume a rythym, which of course depended on the steam available from the exhaust of the high pressure one, and that also varied as the cut-off altered. Of course, when starting the L.P. cylinder would not receive steam until the H.P. one had exhausted (Midland compound started as simples, steam direct to LP cylinder).
For obvious reasons, I can't be sure that this rythym effect happened but I have seen a similar effect on Beyer Garretts - although they were two independent engines both exhausting through one chimney, for reasons I can't understand or explain , they always had very even exhausts (i.e. the exhaust from one engine was in the lull between exhausts of the other) once they got going, after a little unevenness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.