• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia, which stations were closest to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancastria

If you include TFL stations, there are a whole load on the former East London Line, now the Highbury and Islington to West Croydon line, that are less than half a mile apart.
Highbury and Islington - Canonbury
Dalston Junction - Haggerston
Haggerston - Hoxton
Shadwell - Wapping
Wapping - Rotherhithe
Rotherhithe - Canada Water
Canada Water - Surrey Quays

Of these, Rotherhithe - Canada Water is the shortest at 17 chains = 374 yards. The stations can be seen from each other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

apk55

Hale, Altrincham and Navigation road must be a contender. If you look at lines converted to tramways them Brooklands road, Sale and Dane road are also very close as well as Old Trafford and Trafford Bar

LowLevel

Established Member
Fiskerton to Rolleston is 47 chains, quite unusual for outside an urban area. Rolleston station was retained for access to Southwell race course.

galwhv69

Streatham to Streatham Common (on the same line, services stop at both stations) around 850m from each other (based on rough Google Maps measure distance as I don't have the Rail Miles thing)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hale, Altrincham and Navigation road must be a contender. If you look at lines converted to tramways them Brooklands road, Sale and Dane road are also very close as well as Old Trafford and Trafford Bar
Not much in it.

Hale to Altrincham is 37 chains.

Altrincham to Navigation Road is about 49 chains.

Brooklands to Sale is 0.915 km. (46 chains)

Sale to Dane Road is 0.825 km. (41 chains)

Old Trafford to Trafford Bar is 0.760 km. (38 chains)

(40 chains = Half a mile).

leytongabriel

A couple of closed inner London stations spring to mind - Mildmay Park was very close to Canonbury on the North London Line and St Ann's Rd to South Tottenham on the Goblin route.
Devonport to Dockyard in Plymouth are very close too.

Veteran Member

marsker

Don't think Ive seen them mentioned on this thread yet, but Wallsend and Carville (on the Riverside line) were very close. You could certainly read the running in boards on Carville station from a train sat in Wallsend. Wallsend, of course, still exists on the T&W Metro, but Carville closed in July 1973. They were only about 300 yards apart.

Sprinter107

Don't think Ive seen them mentioned on this thread yet, but Wallsend and Carville (on the Riverside line) were very close. You could certainly read the running in boards on Carville station from a train sat in Wallsend. Wallsend, of course, still exists on the T&W Metro, but Carville closed in July 1973. They were only about 300 yards apart.

Didn't realise they were so close. Id have loved a ride along the Riverside branch, as i like railways in industrial settings. In fact, i would have liked to go around the North Tyne loop pre Metro.

Richard P

I can't see it listed to here but Manchester Victoria and Manchester Exchange actually shared the longest platform in the World at one time but is disqualified as I am certain there wasn't a service that stopped at both!

Urmston > Chassen Road and Chassen Road - Flixton are very close too

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've just thought there is also 3 stations in Ryde on the Isle of Wight, 2 of which are at opposite ends of the pier
32 chains from Ryde Pier Head to Ryde Esplanade.

A further 67 chains onwards from Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St. Johns Road.

Sprinter107

Didn't realise they were so close. Id have loved a ride along the Riverside branch, as i like railways in industrial settings. In fact, i would have liked to go around the North Tyne loop pre Metro.

Bungle158

Reading to Reading West is 75 chains, so may just squeak into the Top 20. Of course the old Reading South and what was Reading General were adjacent, though on completely different lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.