• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
That much we agree on.

What is it about the Transport brief that seems to attract the worst of the Johnson-approved barrow-boy tendency? Shapps is precisely the sort of murky, fly-by-night the role doesn't need yet seems to get lumbered with in tedious succession. How the bloke remains an MP after that mail-order "dodginess" is perplexing, but perhaps shouldn't be considering that's probably what appealed to the Blond Blimp in the first place.

If only Transport Correspondents had the time and wherewithal to ask Shapped-arse where exactly he is going to get the billions (at least) and technical resource for setting up "driverless trains" (and the decade + it would take to do even if you started today) in the middle of perpetual Govt whining about "no magic money tree" for anything people actually do want.

But one thing he is good at beyond sliming his way into whoever is Leader's good graces, throwing out red-meat nonsense to his base.

It is actually rather incredible that, given how much of a shambles many rail services are at the moment (and how much of this traces back to the government in one way or another), they aren’t coming under much more scrutiny.

Unfortunately, take my town as an example, a few miles down the line from Shapps’s own constituency. This morning the train service was screwed, as it now seems to be on a pretty regular basis. One might expect this to result in a negative reaction, but the more vocal one is “yippee WFH”. It’s quite incredible that people feel sufficiently brazen to post on social media that they can’t be bothered to make any attempt to reach their place of work (despite having the very viable alternative of driving to somewhere like High Barnet or Cockfosters and travelling into London by LU), and are overjoyed at the opportunity not to have to fulfil their workplace obligations. Meanwhile I bet the coffee bars and local pubs are finding their trade has increased today.

This is why we have garbage like Shapps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
It is actually rather incredible that, given how much of a shambles many rail services are at the moment (and how much of this traces back to the government in one way or another), they aren’t coming under much more scrutiny.

Unfortunately, take my town as an example, a few miles down the line from Shapps’s own constituency. This morning the train service was screwed, as it now seems to be on a pretty regular basis. One might expect this to result in a negative reaction, but the more vocal one is “yippee WFH”. It’s quite incredible that people feel sufficiently brazen to post on social media that they can’t be bothered to make any attempt to reach their place of work (despite having the very viable alternative of driving to somewhere like High Barnet or Cockfosters and travelling into London by LU), and are overjoyed at the opportunity not to have to fulfil their workplace obligations. Meanwhile I bet the coffee bars and local pubs are finding their trade has increased today.

"WFH = skiving" is a myth. Studies since the pandemic began have consistently shown that WFH maintains or even increases productivity, compared to office-based work. Top FTSE100 companies such as DixonsCarphone were already trying to embrace the concept pre-Covid, as they realised that masses of office space wasn't nearly as cost-effective as a 'hybrid' model with a smaller, shared square-footage for hotdesks and meeting rooms.

I think the reason that people like Grayling and Shapps manage to keep bringing shame to the post, is that it's seen as a 'short straw' — at worst a punishment position, and at best a stepping stone. It's monumentally short-sighted because the economy literally runs on transportation — IMO it should be considered one of the Great Offices Of State... notwithstanding that those positions are also filled by distasteful individuals at the moment!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If only Transport Correspondents had the time and wherewithal to ask Shapped-arse where exactly he is going to get the billions (at least) and technical resource for setting up "driverless trains" (and the decade + it would take to do even if you started today) in the middle of perpetual Govt whining about "no magic money tree" for anything people actually do want.
Sadly most (all?) Transport editors or correspondents in the mainstream media haven’t got a clue what they are talking about and the organisations they work for also lack suitable contacts to find out the reality from unbiased sources.

Given the garbage they churn out about transport I actually question the accuracy of their reports on subjects I don’t know much about!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
One might expect this to result in a negative reaction, but the more vocal one is “yippee WFH”. It’s quite incredible that people feel sufficiently brazen to post on social media that they can’t be bothered to make any attempt to reach their place of work (despite having the very viable alternative of driving to somewhere like High Barnet or Cockfosters and travelling into London by LU), and are overjoyed at the opportunity not to have to fulfil their workplace obligations. Meanwhile I bet the coffee bars and local pubs are finding their trade has increased today.

How do you know they're not "fulfilling their workplace obligations"; many employers are understanding and will let people work from home when required, but there are disbenfits to this being a 5-day-a-week deal. Also the argument about skiving off work is a bit of a tired one. It might be great to have a captive market like there was pre-2020, but the drip that had already been happening in the past decade has now become a flood of working from home, and whilst a perfectly railway might encourage more passengers more often, for the odd day here or there, people will perfectly reasonably stay at home when significant disruption looms.

Sankey Wire

Does anyone know what level of service will be running on Friday, please?

The TfL website doesn’t seem to give much away but ideally I would like to be able to travel from Moorgate or Liverpool St to Baker St around 9am.

Dstock7080

Established Member

The TfL website doesn’t seem to give much away but ideally I would like to be able to travel from Moorgate or Liverpool St to Baker St around 9am.
Will depend on signalling, depot shunters and station staff being available.

duncanp

Established Member

There is likely to be little or no service running on the tube on Friday.

Bus 205 provides a direct connection from Liverpool Street to Baker Street, but it is likely to be difficult or impossible to board a bus outside Liverpool Street station, especially at around 9am.

A more viable alternative could be to take the Elizabeth Line from Liverpool Street to Paddington, about 1 mile away from Baker Street, and then complete your journey via taxi, bus or walking.

Sankey Wire

Bus 205 provides a direct connection from Liverpool Street to Baker Street, but it is likely to be difficult or impossible to board a bus outside Liverpool Street station, especially at around 9am.

A more viable alternative could be to take the Elizabeth Line from Liverpool Street to Paddington, about 1 mile away from Baker Street, and then complete your journey via taxi, bus or walking.
Thanks, we are staying on City Road and travelling to Lord’s for the cricket so perhaps the Elizabeth Line will be the safest bet; I imagine Ubers will be in high demand.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Err... aren't the London buses also on strike on Friday?

duncanp

Established Member
Thanks, we are staying on City Road and travelling to Lord’s for the cricket so perhaps the Elizabeth Line will be the safest bet; I imagine Ubers will be in high demand.

It is just under a mile and a half from Paddington to Lords, so it is within walking distance for many people.

You could also see what the taxi queue at Paddington station is like.

At thank you... the publicity gives the impression that it's the whole lot of them...
Buses in west and north west London and parts of Hertfordshire and Surrey will be affected. The strike will impact the following routes: 18, 33, 49, 65, 70, 71, 72, 85, 94, 105, 110, 111, 116, 117, 148, 203, 211, 216, 220, 223, 224, 235, 258, 265, 266, 272, 281, 283, 290, 293, 371, 404, 406, 411, 418, 419, 423, 440, 465, 467, 470, 481, C1, E1, E3, H17, H22, H32, H37, H91, H98, K1, K2, K3, K4, K5, N9, N18, N33, N65, N72, N266 and S3”
None of the Sovereign or London Transit routes are listed because they aren’t striking, it only affect United routes.

theking

Chances of getting on a 205 I'd say is zero.

Last strike they were fighting getting on the back doors it was chaos the police had to attend.

Attachments

• NINTCHDBPICT000738521111-1.jpg
    NINTCHDBPICT000738521111-1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 71

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The RMT have announced a further strike on London Underground, scheduled for November 3rd. This is the same date as separate RMT strikes on both Network Rail and Arriva Rail London.

Jonny

Established Member
The RMT have announced a further strike on London Underground, scheduled for November 3rd. This is the same date as separate RMT strikes on both Network Rail and Arriva Rail London.
I'm likely to be in London that day, when will the implications be known?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I'm likely to be in London that day, when will the implications be known?
It is an all-grades strike; based on the last one, nothing at all in the central area and extremely limited services at the extremities.

Mawkie

Update: Tube strike cancelled on 3rd November due a clash with the poppy collection on stations.

Strike now announced on 10th November instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.