• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
That duty above is part of the 'Heritage' NT roster - so just p/t Friday and Saturday working.

Some of the NT duties are now stuffed into the mixed link roster at Arnos Grove (early, middle, late). One NT duty at Arnos finishes at 0526 on Sunday morning, the Sunday is your rest day, then back in on Monday for five late turns, resting on the following Saturday.
IMO fair enough if it's the PT roster.

The latter part of your post will, I'm sure, be met with cries of "But it's legal!" from Train Planning :)

Lewlew

One NT duty at Arnos finishes at 0526 on Sunday morning, the Sunday is your rest day, then back in on Monday for five late turns, resting on the following Saturday.
On the normal roster on the Bakerloo, all of our night duties finish at 0730/0800 on the Sunday (your rest day) and then back in for lates from Monday. (Some in the Mafia even do earlies starting at 5am)

I really don’t see your issue with working nights and lates in the same week. It’s completely normal and been going on for years. Well before Night Tube was a thing.

Mawkie

I really don’t see your issue with working nights and lates in the same week. It’s completely normal and been going on for years. Well before Night Tube was a thing.
Specifically for NT, the Company and its workers agreed in 2016 that nobody would be forced to work NT duties if they didn't want to. I understand that agreements can, and have, and must, change. However, throwing £112 at workers and telling them to "Get on with it" is not in the spirit of any form of negotiation I've ever heard of. Make it voluntary and I'm sure there would be no more strike action. (That's not to say there aren't other important considerations e.g. my roster doesn't have NT duties, but I have lost 4 weekends over the course of my working year, and every subsequent year, and I do object to the chipping away of conditions without serious consultation.)

On the wider point about working a mixed pattern of lates and nights, it has long been established that shift work reduces your life expectancy and contributes to numerous other health issues. A quick Google will bring up many results on that. I personally believe that a rotating shift pattern has an even more detrimental impact on health and should be avoided at all costs - I'm unsure if the data supports that though.

Lastly, there have been a few posts made along the lines of 'It's always been like that', but history is littered with examples of things which we would find abhorrent now - mine workers with a canary and candles, 10 year olds going up chimneys, the effects of smoking (and secondary smoking). I don't see why we can't aim higher than the status quo; I'm not embarrassed to say I want a better quality of life, not worse.

I'm confident in 20/30/50 years we'll look back and say "Gosh, imagine when they used to make people do rotating shift patterns even when they knew it shortened their lives".

Sankey Wire

Will the recently announced RMT strike in August (18/08 and 20/08) include the Tube? Thanks.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Will the recently announced RMT strike in August (18/08 and 20/08) include the Tube? Thanks.
It doesn’t - but they only have to give two weeks notice so could be extended at a later date.

Tubeboy

Re Piccadilly night tube it will start next week. 22/23rd July. New timetable starts on Monday 18th.

Mawkie

The NT dispute has reached a temporary resolution of sorts. Strike action is suspended across all lines. LU have agreed to allow the creation of a list of volunteer train operators who are prepared to do NT duties. If the volunteer numbers are not sufficient, then rostered drivers will still be forced to drive the duties. The various syndicates will facilitate the necessary mutual swaps. The agreement is for a 3 month trial. There is obviously still an active mandate if the trial doesn't go as hoped.

Lewlew

So how it always has been then? Mandatory unless swapped away via the mafia/mutual swap. Well done RMT! Worth losing pay for?

Mawkie

So how it always has been then? Mandatory unless swapped away via the mafia/mutual swap. Well done RMT! Worth losing pay for?
It is somewhat disappointing. RMT members voted twice for strike action (and action short of a strike) so I guess they felt/feel it was worth it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evening of Saturday 23 July
Slight change to these plans, Night Tube on the Piccadilly will be running empty both Friday and Saturday this week, and will launch instead the following weekend, Friday 29th July.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Slight change to these plans, Night Tube on the Piccadilly will be running empty both Friday and Saturday this week, and will launch instead the following weekend, Friday 29th July.
Did everything go well on trials for start of passenger service next Friday the 29th ?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Did everything go well on trials for start of passenger service next Friday the 29th ?
10 trains cancelled at 24.00 Friday evening
12 trains cancelled 06.00 Saturday
14 trains cancelled at 24.00 Saturday evening
all “lack of available Train Operators”

duncanp

Established Member

New tube strike announced for Thursday 19th August.

London Underground: RMT announces fifth 24-hour strike this year​

London Underground workers are set to hold their fifth 24-hour strike this year in a row over jobs and pensions.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) union said its members would walk out on 19 August.
The union last held a 24-hour Tube strike in June as part of a national rail strike.
The union has claimed 600 jobs will be lost under Transport for London (TfL) plans, but the transport authority has said nobody would lose their job.
Separately, RMT members are also taking strike action on Network Rail and 14 train operators on 18 and 20 August. At the same time the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) is holding its own walkout.

The RMT said the latest strike announcement was prompted by TfL's "refusal" to share details of a draft government proposal it received regarding funding of the transport system in London.
It said it was giving TfL until 2 August to give assurances on jobs, pensions and working conditions.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said its members would "once again take to picket lines in this important dispute".
"They have been messed around by TfL and mayor Sadiq Khan," he said.
"Unless there can be assurances made about jobs, pensions and detrimental changes to working conditions, then our strike on August 19 will go ahead."
TfL has been approached for comment.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Is there somewhere a list of all the upcoming strikes, whatever unions they may be? I am finding it all a bit hard to keep track?

Snow1964

Established Member
New tube strike announced for Thursday 19th August.

Presumably as there is no formal plan to change the pensions, the RMT is objecting to current pension provision.

Or have they lost the plot and striking on assumption that one day, someone might look into reviewing the pension provision, even if that day has not yet arrived.

Leaked letter from Fiona Brunskill (TfL Director of people) to Mick Lynch (RMT Union)

Brunskill told Lynch that there are currently no plans to make changes to the pension scheme and that TfL wished for everyone to remain employed “in line with our existing agreement to avoid redundancies.”

Reply from Lynch “This latest letter from TfL does not address our central demands which is that there should be no job losses, no detrimental changes to pensions and no imposition of new working conditions,”

Is it me or are they both saying same thing

Last edited:

Mawkie

Presumably as there is no formal plan to change the pensions, the RMT is objecting to current pension provision.

Or have they lost the plot and striking on assumption that one day, someone might look into reviewing the pension provision, even if that day has not yet arrived.

Leaked letter from Fiona Brunskill (TfL Director of people) to Mick Lynch (RMT Union)

Brunskill told Lynch that there are currently no plans to make changes to the pension scheme and that TfL wished for everyone to remain employed “in line with our existing agreement to avoid redundancies.”

Reply from Lynch “This latest letter from TfL does not address our central demands which is that there should be no job losses, no detrimental changes to pensions and no imposition of new working conditions,”

Is it me or are they both saying same thing

There is some benefit to pre-emptive strikes (pardon the pun).

It's quite obvious that central government want fundamental changes to pensions and ways of working - all of their rhetoric regarding the derisory funding over the last couple of years has been geared towards that. Unfortunately for the government, the independent pension review didn't highlight any areas of major deficiencies. However that hasn't stopped the ongoing threats. I believe the members of the RMT have valid concerns regarding pension change.

LU haven't covered themselves in glory regarding "No changes to working practices". They have systematically analysed the entire organisation, from the top down, and forced changes through all grades. Changes to the Framework Agreements of RPIs, Special Requirements Team, Train Ops have literally been bulldozed through. I do believe the members of the RMT have valid concerns regarding working practices.

Both the RMT and LU have long established agreements regarding minimising compulsory redundancies. I am less convinced the members have valid concerns regarding compulsory redundancies.

betraveler

Once its announced they have no chance to change anything anymore.

Do we really think that they are not planning cuts to pensions?

theking

London needs driverless Tube like Paris, says Grant Shapps​

Stoking the fire as usual.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

London needs driverless Tube like Paris, says Grant Shapps​

Stoking the fire as usual.
The bit that got omitted was ''when we get a grown-up government that recognises our capital city can only thrive once again in the world by investing forthwith large sums in public transport infrastructure over many years.''

bramling

Veteran Member
The bit that got omitted was ''when we get a grown-up government that recognises our capital city can only thrive once again in the world by investing forthwith large sums in public transport infrastructure over many years.''

There’s something deeply unpleasant about Shapps.

One might think that they would have learned from Johnson’s having to be removed from office in disgrace as a sign that people are sick to death of the infantile incompetence of this government, and want them to start governing in a serious manner. Clearly not.

There’s something deeply unpleasant about Shapps.

One might think that they would have learned from Johnson’s having to be removed from office in disgrace as a sign that people are sick to death of the infantile incompetence of this government, and want them to start governing in a serious manner. Clearly not.

That much we agree on.

What is it about the Transport brief that seems to attract the worst of the Johnson-approved barrow-boy tendency? Shapps is precisely the sort of murky, fly-by-night the role doesn't need yet seems to get lumbered with in tedious succession. How the bloke remains an MP after that mail-order "dodginess" is perplexing, but perhaps shouldn't be considering that's probably what appealed to the Blond Blimp in the first place.

If only Transport Correspondents had the time and wherewithal to ask Shapped-arse where exactly he is going to get the billions (at least) and technical resource for setting up "driverless trains" (and the decade + it would take to do even if you started today) in the middle of perpetual Govt whining about "no magic money tree" for anything people actually do want.

But one thing he is good at beyond sliming his way into whoever is Leader's good graces, throwing out red-meat nonsense to his base.

Status
Not open for further replies.