• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV advert reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can anyone remember, "what has hazelnut in every bite?"
That would be "Topic" chocolate bars, although the more popular alternative answer was "Squirrel sh*t" (!) ;)

Not sure if they are still being made anywhere.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That would be "Topic" chocolate bars, although the more popular alternative answer was "Squirrel sh*t" (!) ;)

Not sure if they are still being made anywhere.

These are surely a prime candidate for the shrinkflation thread !

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Many public information films shown were also memorable. My favourites were the Joe and Petunia ones. Other memorable ones were Think once,think twice,think bike! This was parodied in The Young Ones. Also don't climb into a substation to retrieve your frisbee or go fishing near overhead lines,something for the PW to think about :) .

David Goddard

Established Member
Stand out ones for me are:
The Oxo family series with Linda Bellingham
The BT ads with Maureen Lipman as "Beattie" and her put upon husband and son
The PG Tips chimps, of course
Um Bongo - they drink it in the Congo.......

On public information, who remembers the little boy and his cat cartoon who did the "don't go off with people you don't know"?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Drinka Pinta Milka Day

Jack Dee beer ads, that really put him on the map.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Every Christmas period, the same mature couple seemed to feature in an advert for which I cannot recall the product being advertised but it seemed to be the longest courtship period that I can recall. Did they ever tie the knot?

The Gold Blend couple ?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Did you ever fill your fuel tank with Opal Fruits though?
That brings to mind the Mitchell & Webb sketch with the "Cheezoid" robot! :lol:
There's the one2one advert too which I saw in an old adverts video a while back on YouTube, that sure took me back in time! "Who would you like to have a one to one with?" is a question that I have changed my answer to a good few times :lol:
Ian Wright and his one2one with "Martin Loofah King" (sic)... there was a Kate Moss version too, can't remember who her one2one was with though...
Melanie Sykes Boddingtons adverts….”Do you want a flake in that?”….”Ta!”
"That Gladys Althorpe... she never buys 'er own!"
Ricicles are Twicicles as Nicicles (no, they are Rice Krispies with sugar on top). I think Noddy was on the box.
Might have had Noddy before my time, but my memory is that it was the cartoon astronaut from the box (think he was called Rik?).
"It's got a widget, a widget it has got...."
The best one of that series was:
"Have you ever wondered how that widget thing inside your can of John Smiths actually works?"

(long pause)

"Then you're very sad."

One I can remember from way back was for Wash&Go, with a bloke in a swiiming pool changing room:
(Opens locker)
"Shampoo AND Conditioner?"
(Slams locker, opens the next)
"Taking TWO bottles into the shower?"
(Slams locker again, opens the next)
"Not me. I just wash my hair and go!"

Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis did a parody of it, with the last line being "Not me. I'm Duncan Goodhew!"

Typhoon

Established Member
Might have had Noddy before my time, but my memory is that it was the cartoon astronaut from the box (think he was called Rik?).
It was indeed Rik. He (I assume) has after my time (I am an old man).
Before him Noddy. Plus point - encourages children to read; minus point - saturated in sugar.

Attachments

• Ric_1.jpg
    Ric_1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Ric_2.jpg
    Ric_2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3

duncanp

Established Member
The most amusing one I can think of has got to be the Carling Black Label advert, showing how to beat the Germans to the sunbeds.

It would never get made today, for reasons of political correctness.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It was indeed Rik. He (I assume) has after my time (I am an old man).
Before him Noddy. Plus point - encourages children to read; minus point - saturated in sugar.
Without wishing to go way off-piste, that Ricicles box was from when they briefly and unsuccessfully tried to jazz them up with bits of marshmallow.
I'm not quite sure why they (the Ricicles, not the marshmallow bits) were discontinued, yet Frosties are still around.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm not quite sure why they (the Ricicles, not the marshmallow bits) were discontinued, yet Frosties are still around.
There's a school of thought that 'Ricicles' were no longer selling in large amounts when the line was discontinued in 2018 (?) and that Kellogg's could always spin this as them taking positive action in the "War against sugar".

MOTWYW! :rolleyes:

P.S. Believe that there is a broadly similar Kellogg's product "Frosted Krispies" still being made, albeit it's apparently difficult to track down in the U.K.

Typhoon

Established Member
Without wishing to go way off-piste, that Ricicles box was from when they briefly and unsuccessfully tried to jazz them up with bits of marshmallow.
There's a school of thought that 'Ricicles' were no longer selling in large amounts when the line was discontinued in 2018 (?) and that Kellogg's could always spin this as them taking positive action in the "War against sugar".
I can see why, sugar coated cereal together with lumps of marshmallow, made largely of sugars. Very nutritional.
I think Corn Flakes were aimed more a an adult market, while Frosties ('they're G-R-R-R-E-A-T') is more at the children's market.

Back to the thread - Corn Flakes - 'Have you forgotten how good they taste' (mum going off to work leaves dad to give young kid their cereal, dad tries it, yum, yum). In my opinion they taste rather like soggy cardboard.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can see why, sugar coated cereal together with lumps of marshmallow, made largely of sugars. Very nutritional.
I think Corn Flakes were aimed more a an adult market, while Frosties ('they're G-R-R-R-E-A-T') is more at the children's market.

Back to the thread - Corn Flakes - 'Have you forgotten how good they taste' (mum going off to work leaves dad to give young kid their cereal, dad tries it, yum, yum). In my opinion they taste rather like soggy cardboard.
Far more salt in a cornflake than a rice krispie, so I'm not convinced that health concerns are responsible. Not sure how something with so much salt manages to taste so bland anyway, that's quite an achievement. Then again, Henry Kellogg invented Corn Flakes to try and reduce the libido of his psychiatric patients, so there's that!

Back on topic but sticking with cereal, the Weetabix adverts were always fun... particularly the Ned Kelly one where he threatens to eat his Weetabix, only to find the mouth hole in his makeshift helmet won't let his spoon through!

Gloster

Established Member
I disliked the way that, long after my time, Weetabix introduced a character that appeared to resemble a 1970s ‘bovver boy’. What an inspiration to children!

Status
Not open for further replies.